• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Get a fishing hot spots map so you know where you at on the lake and hire a guided for half a day or a day.

That's what I'd do if I ever got serious about it and I fish it all the time. I want to start fishing it for wipers.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    follow the tourney boats :D

I've fished many a tournament there before.

Had successes with black/red texas rigged worms, spinner baits, rattle traps around rocks.

Place is pretty big and there are pretty much bass just about anywhere.

Getting them to bite is another thing.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There is alot of structure on Monroe. If you are going early in the year I would try a football head jig, soft plastics worked slow, slow rolling a spinner bait, or crank baits. I have had good luck at sugar creek. Be careful there is alot of underwater structure and you will lose some baits! I have caught a few 7 plus pounders out of there. You might also want to try up in the idle zone because it is shallower and warms up faster.
    I would also take some crappie stuff they will be hitting good then.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Some good advice so far. I've alwasy done well on a white/chartruse spinner bait back in some of the cover, rattle traps and crankbaits on the points and rip rap (and the stump lines if you know where to look), and good old Texas Rigged worms.

There area some pretty good spots depending on the time of year. In late March the water temp will still be pretty cold, so the bass will be a little more sluggish, and you might want to look for some areas that may present an easy entry to a shallow feeding area, with quick return back to deeper water where they've layed all winter.

Some of the Clay banks in a few of the coves will hold a bit more heat from the sun and can be a place to find some of the early agressive fish starting to feed again.

Any way you go, a day of fishing, good or bad, is much better than a lot of days doing other things, like working. Good luck!

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I have had pretty good luck in the idle zone but the water level drops pretty rapidly as you get closer to crooked creek.

Jack - I am with you on wanting try wipers. I caught a couple of small ones by letting a nightcrawler drift with just a little split shot on the line and it was a blast!

I have no idea how to really fish for them but after just catching the small ones I can only imagine how much fin the big ones are.

Centerfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    The bass fishermen I see at Lake Monroe don't stay in one place, they constantly troll along the edges of the lake early in the morning.

Here are some spots that may interest you. I have caught a few bass at all but the last 2 links. Be aware they may not be running shallow water yet. There was still lots of ice last weekend.

Deep water. Steep rock wall with downed trees.
    Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Shallow water. Tall Seaweed. Tree Stumps.

Shallow Water. Lots of Tree Stumps.

A book I have says the next two deep water areas are good bass spots. I have never tried them.

Best of Luck.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have had pretty good luck in the idle zone but the water level drops pretty rapidly as you get closer to crooked creek.

Jack - I am with you on wanting try wipers. I caught a couple of small ones by letting a nightcrawler drift with just a little split shot on the line and it was a blast!

I have no idea how to really fish for them but after just catching the small ones I can only imagine how much fin the big ones are.

Nice thing about wipers is you can catch them all year long and soon as the boat leaves the dock you can be fishing for them. Did I say they are BIG?

I've had some good instruction on them but there is some different kinds of equipment to really do wiper fishing. Time or money, if you don't have one all it takes is the other to make your own equipment.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    As far as the wipers go I have some salt water gear that would have no problem handling the fish. Now I just use it for river catfish but I am sure the rigging and set up is different. Now I am gonna have to google these things cause this spring weather really has me itching.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I like to Walleye fish at Monroe. I have had great luck with those, using roadrunners or fishing the bottom with crawlers.

Last one I caught there, I was with my Dad and some of his friends. They all had fancy smancy bassboats that cost more than my truck, and the gear to go with it. I rode my motorcycle to meet them and traveled light. I had a mini tackle box and a telescoping rod and ultralight reel in a backpack. They all laughed when I pulled up and asked if I was going to catch fish with my hands.

Long story short, while they were busy baiting up, I already threw a crawler in, and not 5 minutes after, pulled in a 15 lb Walleye. It nearly broke my little pole.

I caught the only fish that morning.

LOL

Seriously, your pressing your luck without a depth finder.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On a serious note. The wiper fishing there is awesome!!!!!!!! We catch alot of them trolling to start and find them then we switch to casting. Early morning or right before it gets dark is best. Hypertail Stump Jumper in white or green. Try tipping with minnows. Also a curly tail grub, spoon, and some crank baits. You will find many in the 5 to 8 pound range. Some go 10 plus but they are hard to find. Don't bring cheep gear the WILL ruin it. Those things fight HARD!!!

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Long story short, while they were busy baiting up, I already threw a crawler in, and not 5 minutes after, pulled in a 15 lb Walleye. It nearly broke my little pole.

I dont usually question what fish someone claims to catch, but im going to need to see a picture of this one.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    As far as the wipers go I have some salt water gear that would have no problem handling the fish. Now I just use it for river catfish but I am sure the rigging and set up is different. Now I am gonna have to google these things cause this spring weather really has me itching.

I think right now while the water is still cool you could just troll with planer boards and catch them but in summer ya got to get down deep. Planer boards come in handy in the river too sometimes.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Good gosh even I'll cut a guy some slack when he's wear'n his FISH'N hat. It ain't life and death.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    did someone say wipers? :), 8 pounder (just under 26") from monroe last fall. you can catch them any which way...tiny jighead tipped with an earthworm dug from my backyard. surprised my 6#test line...just took a long time to land him. btw, they taste GREAT. i love their digital camo look ;) although this one didnt have as many broken stripes
    striper_beforefilet-vi.jpg

Last edited:

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes the do! As long as you get that red section out of them. I've been told that's from the shad oils. We usually do good from april through october for them. I am going sunday after walleye and crappie. Hopefully we will have some time to try to get a wiper or two.

Top Bottom