Anyone back out of a deal because of seller being too eager?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I emailed a guy with a pps in .40 on armslist last night. Got a bit busy and checked my email just now. The guy had responded 5 times in 21 hours. At first about possible trades I had offered (Sa-22 or Delta Elite) then about buying it outright. Long story short despite him willing to accept my initial cash offer I walked away. Maybe I am paranoid, but it really seems like he just wants it gone asap and that bothers me.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    flamesuit.jpg

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I don't understand. Was a deal actually made, in that you made an offer of a firm amount of $, he accepted, then you changed your mind?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Would it have been better if he ignored you for a couple of days? Maybe he needed the money for something important. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree....he probably had a need or desire to be filled. Patience is not something we all practice. I was not there but you have to do as you feel the need.
    If you made an offer and then did not follow through, well, it was your deal.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No. But a few years ago we put our house up for sale on a Friday and by Tuesday, we had a full price offer. We asked what we thought was a fair price, but we couldn't help thinking we left too much money on the table.

ETA: having not read the ad, emails, etc I'm really reticent to judge whether you made a good or bad decision.

Last edited:

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I emailed last night around 9-10pm. two of the emails were that evening asking me to call and that he stays up late. Call my crazy, but I don't meet people to buy firearms at night. Without a response on my part I got 5 emails total from the guy in less then a day. I have bought and sold my share of guns over the years, but never had anyone so adamant about getting it out the door.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Maybe he was needing the money asap and he didn't want to lose the sale.

Once you met the guy in day-light hours and checked out the firearm, you can always back out of the deal at that time, if it is not as advertised.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I emailed last night around 9-10pm. two of the emails were that evening asking me to call and that he stays up late. Call my crazy, but I don't meet people to buy firearms at night. Without a response on my part I got 5 emails total from the guy in less then a day. I have bought and sold my share of guns over the years, but never had anyone so adamant about getting it out the door.

Maybe he wanted to seal the deal. Since you didn't contact him, I guess he can just move on. That happened to me once and it didn't feel good, but it wasn't like the guy sealed the deal and then backed out and it doesn't sound like you backed out of anything, either.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Maybe he wanted to seal the deal. Since you didn't contact him, I guess he can just move on. That happened to me once and it didn't feel good, but it wasn't like the guy sealed the deal and then backed out and it doesn't sound like you backed out of anything, either.

I agree with the kilted one :D

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not sure if I understand; would need more info to decide if something was wrong. Did you ask to see DL and CP. Maybe he needed the gun sold (legally) and your the only one that e-mailed so far.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Would it have been better if he ignored you for a couple of days? Maybe he needed the money for something important. :dunno:

My thoughts exactly. If I'm selling a gun, I must be in pretty dire need of cash, and have exhausted all other sources of cash, usually ASAP (bills, etc.)

I'm always worried I'll be on the opposite end. When I find someone selling something I want, I'm always afraid I'm going to pester them about meeting up because I usually worry that they'll either back out later or sell it to someone else if I don't get my hands on it ASAP! :):

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I backed out because the buyer did seem to very eager and maybe confused over how vBulletin forums work maybe? Buyer lived here in Indiana, was a resident, and I was able to do a little research and everything seemed on the up and up. Was moving away and wanted the pistol ASAP before they became a citizen of another state. However, the buyer would send a PM, then 30 mins. later send another PM. It was almost like they thought they should get an immediate response. I know some people likely have it set up where PMs go to e-mail, and e-mail gets sent to smart phones. Not all of us have the $$ to toss around on such fancy devices (for now at least). Maybe it was drunk surfing, but they did it twice and it just seemed strange to me. I decided not to sell to that person.

Top Bottom