• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw where they make a Magnum Blend, 6,7, and 5's supposedly good to 75 yards with the #5 portion, 1200 FPS, 2 oz of shot.

Also saw some Hevi Metal #4's, at 1450, 1 1/4 shot.

Looked at hevi shot website, not much info IMHO.

Anybody here test the stuff, know how much less (if any) restriction required to run Hevishot?

Edit: Hevi 13 choketube is .662, my Rem Superfull is .665.............close enough. But if somebody has tried more open chokes and has some data..................

Last edited:

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    Besides the Nitro Company, Hevi shot is the best ammo company out there IMO. However, I feel that by them advertising 75 yard shot they are doing their company a disservice. The Mag-Blends are a good shell. I favor the Hevi 7's however.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hevi-shot does closely mimic the ballistics of lead, although Hevi-shot is not perfectly round. Though why someone would choose this over actual lead shot for turkey eludes me...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Elude no more! ;)

Smaller pellets have less wind resistance. That means a Hevi 5 if weighing the same as a lead 4, would have more energy downrange, and by smaller size, should penetrate deeper too (but then that's also a smaller D wound channel if of no deformation-or that which is comparable to lead).

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I use the Magnum Blend 5,6&7 thru a .665 choke and they work great.Shot my bird at 35 yrds. and hamburgered his head.My son shot his 25 pounder at 61 yrds.(he thought it was less than 50) and killed it instantly.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I run Hevi Shot 5's in 3-1/2" thru my 10ga with a custom .695 Tru-Lok. I've notice it patterns more uniformly than half a dozen other options including custom loads. Every bird I've shot with it (5?) has been deader than necessary including a poorly selected 72 yarder last year. Not proud of that one but the gun made up for my error. Its becoming a bit unnerving to hunt with others when all that flapping starts. Even my wife's 3" HeviShot leaves them twitching some.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks for the replies.
    Am looking for something to give me a solid 55 yard rig, maybe 60.
    Will test it and then go afield, funny, my friends have a private range (and I've taken two toms right by it) :)

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I still have a couple boxes of the Remington Hevi shot. It dropped a bird at 68 steps out of a 10 gauge. It seemed to pattern better at 40 yards also.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've used HV lead for years (#4's), kills birds dead, but am wanting to extend my range a bit.
    Public land hunting, doubt I will have lots of birds coming by within 40 yards.
    Maybe, maybe not, but I'd like to have the longer range capability should the one and only opportunity be around 50 or so.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    As important as shot size,imo,when stretching shots is the position of the birds head.Stretched neck and broadside head present a much better kill zone than head on or strutting.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I made it a whopping 30 minutes into turkey season on opening day and then it was over. Remington 1187, Remington extra full extended turkey choke, #5 Remington Turkey Load 3" 12 Ga. 50yds.....dead turkey....in the freezer.

Any questions? :dunno:

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Heavi shot seemed to group great for me. However I've heard you need to watch what kind choke you are using. Big oaks changed there rules this year requiring us to use steel shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I want extended range and asked for information on Hevishot.

That is the topic.

Posing questions might be OK, but......if want to blow your own horn, solicit membership in your fan club on the 2013 Turkey Harvest thread.

Thanks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Heavi shot seemed to group great for me. However I've heard you need to watch what kind choke you are using. Big oaks changed there rules this year requiring us to use steel shot.

Steel or just Non Toxic?

Regs say no shot larger than #4.
    In steel I'd think that kinda sorta like #2.

I heard in other states #2 steel was used legally on turkeys.

With less shooting per hunter (only 1 bird per season) I wonder if the DNR will just keep the shot sizes as is and kinda sorta force folks to run non lead, non steel loads (if wanting more oomph downrange). I supposed a steel 4 might be like a lead 6, but that'd still shorten one's range). Maybe that's a characteristic they want.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I want extended range and asked for information on Hevishot.

That is the topic.

Posing questions might be OK, but......if want to blow your own horn, solicit membership in your fan club on the 2013 Turkey Harvest thread.

Thanks.
    Aww poor thing...you are worse off than what i though.> I can save you a trurkey sandwich since your "extended range" must not be working too good. I would concentrate more on your call selection and how to use and get them in 50yds or less....then you wont have to worry about what shot you are using. 12ga 3" 5 shot lead.....thats the "special" recipe, atleast one of many that will do the job. ;)

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You were clueless when you started on this site, and haven't changed a bit.
    Thanks for teaching us that some folks just don't get it.

I've killed birds, from 16 to 42 yards. But now am hunting public ground.......heavily used, and topography that is wicked as Hell.

If I want a 50+ load, that's my friggin' business.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom