• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I would only bug out if I had a better place to go with supplies and people waiting for me and mine. Short of that, I am better off staying at home unless there is an active danger that drives me out.

That being said, each of those three is something you can do some planning for.

I keep a BOB in the trunk along with a sleeping bag and tent (along with a pile of other stuff).

The gear is mobile enough to be a "walk home" kit, full enough to be an emergency bug out kit (although not for long as 5 mouths empty a trunk fast and a tank of gas only goes so far), but more importantly it is a good "stranded" kit.

Think of the family snowbound last winter and who were alone in their car 4 days before supplies ran out and dad left to find help in the blizzard. He died, but rescuers did find the others (dad did not send the rescuers, they were already in bound) and his family survived. That is even more likely a situation than zombies, or WWIII, or total collapse.

Think about how much time we spend in the car, and how many empty cell spots there are, and then go and watch Cujo.

[/rant]

Gonna bug in or out, or just try and get home depending. I am trying to prep for any eventuality. Get a place to go in every direction (NSWE) even if just as a rally point. Get supplies as you can.

And hopefully none of it will ever be needed!

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    A B.O.B. is generally only used for a less than 72 hour situation. If you've got to bug out in the winter, wow - that's going to be a pain- even more so if you've got family. Like everyone else has said - you've got to have a definite shelter to head to. If you don't I'd definitely stay at home. With a family, I'd definitely do what I could to stay home.

Love the rule of 3 here- 1 plan is none. 2 plans is 1, and 3 is a backup. All kinds of great free resources (google maps) to plan routes, etc.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I can highly recommend the Modular Sleep System (MSS) that is used by our armed forces for a quality, affordable sleeping bag. I own two of these systems, and they are well worth the money. Last winter I slept out on my deck during a snow storm with the low temperature reaching 15 degrees in one of my bags for a test. My wife laughed at me, and told me she would leave the door unlocked for me when I decided to come in. The bags are rated at -40 with proper sleeping attire, and the outer bag is a gortex bivy that zippers shut to protect you from the elements. I went to sleep after a thermos of hot soup, in polypropelyne long underwear, and a wool hat, along with some heavy hunting socks. and slept like a baby. They can be had for less then $150 if you wait on a good deal from Ebay, and they are without a doubt the best bag you can get for the money. :twocents:

US-SLEEP-SYSTEM.jpg

:+1:Definately agree. Have a couple myself.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Well, I definitely don't plan on staying in any sort of populated area. I see the only potential reason to bug out being the likelihood of martial law and UN troops gathering patriotic Americans that believe in the constitution for processing at the beach grove facility.....My BOB is a modular system that provides me and my family with the essentials for 6 months survival and even indefinite wilderness survival provided we don't get caught. My plan is to stay hidden long enough to let things settle down, regroup with other like minded people, and take the nation back.

Also, skip the tent and go with tarps or plastic sheeting. It's lighter and can serve more purposes, example, ever try to make a ground still for water from a tent? A plastic sheet, tin can, and a hole in the ground can provide water, a tent can't.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I definitely plan on staying home if at all possible. I just want to be prepared if I have to head out for any reason. I have thought about throwing a bag in the trunk with long johns and thicker clothing as well as some protein bars and water in case of a stranded situation in the winter. The military sleep system has been on my list for quite a while and I may have to make it happen.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Well, I definitely don't plan on staying in any sort of populated area. I see the only potential reason to bug out being the likelihood of martial law and UN troops gathering patriotic Americans that believe in the constitution for processing at the beach grove facility.....My BOB is a modular system that provides me and my family with the essentials for 6 months survival and even indefinite wilderness survival provided we don't get caught. My plan is to stay hidden long enough to let things settle down, regroup with other like minded people, and take the nation back.

OK Wolverine, I'll ask. Are you headed to your property, or are you headed out to Jack Ryans with the rest of them?

On a more serious note, I'd love to get the list of your BOB that provides for a family for 6 months. Mine is heavy and i can only make it two weeks!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    On a more serious note, I'd love to get the list of your BOB that provides for a family for 6 months. Mine is heavy and i can only make it two weeks!
    The key to remember is the word "survive". The only items needed to do so are: Food, this can be found in abundance everywhere in this country literally laying around, Water, this can also be found in most places easily and a gallon of bleach will purify PLENTY of it at the rate of one drop per quart, Shelter, easy enough with the crudest of hand tools, Oxygen, never had trouble with this one, Warmth, unless you are just plain stupid this is pretty simple too. If you can think of anything I've left out, by all means, tell me. A sheet of plastic, a gallon of bleach, a small caliber rifle with a brick of ammo or even a piece of rope or wire to use as a snare and a few layers of clothing are really all it takes as long as you have a bit of common sense and the will to live. Bear in mind, my pack contains far more than the bare essentials aforementioned. For example I would rather use my axe to build shelter and provide firewood than resort to stones and sticks. A 6 month supply of multi vitamins doesn't weigh much and will definitely help out nutritionally. You must remember your basal instincts, there haven't always been supermarkets and mcdonalds to rely on. Our race survived thousands of years and even flourished long before the advent of todays modern conveniences, and they did so without much of the knowledge avail. to us today.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    The key to remember is the word "survive". The only items needed to do so are: Food, this can be found in abundance everywhere in this country literally laying around, Water, this can also be found in most places easily and a gallon of bleach will purify PLENTY of it at the rate of one drop per quart, Shelter, easy enough with the crudest of hand tools, Oxygen, never had trouble with this one, Warmth, unless you are just plain stupid this is pretty simple too. If you can think of anything I've left out, by all means, tell me. A sheet of plastic, a gallon of bleach, a small caliber rifle with a brick of ammo or even a piece of rope or wire to use as a snare and a few layers of clothing are really all it takes as long as you have a bit of common sense and the will to live. Bear in mind, my pack contains far more than the bare essentials aforementioned. For example I would rather use my axe to build shelter and provide firewood than resort to stones and sticks. A 6 month supply of multi vitamins doesn't weigh much and will definitely help out nutritionally. You must remember your basal instincts, there haven't always been supermarkets and mcdonalds to rely on. Our race survived thousands of years and even flourished long before the advent of todays modern conveniences, and they did so without much of the knowledge avail. to us today.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have one issue with the statement of only needing a snare or a rifle and brick of ammo. If the supermarkets are empty then I am guessing a LOT of people will be hunting and taking all the natural growing food that can be found. Your "will" and "sense to survive" may not be enough. I know it has been done in other countries in the past and many would not last more than a couple weeks here under those conditions but it seems many people make it sound a lot easier then it really will be. I do think the multivitamins are a great idea.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a old military cold weather sleeping bag for warmth in the winter if I need it. But my first plan is to head home: it's in the country near the edge of Madison and Henry County. It's 80 acres of woods and fields with lots of deer, squirrels, rabbits, doves, and ducks, as well as a 1.5 acre pond holding largemouth, bluegills, crappie, and catfish. Along with a couple barns for storage, and if necessary, housing/sleeping quarters for friends. It's secluded, with the house up on a hill, with my closest neighbor's house being 150+ yards from mine, most of the neighbor's houses are further from my house in the range of 200 yards to 1 mile away.
    I also have a back up location but it's a bit harder to get to being 30-40 miles south of Indy. It's a small cabin with no electricity or running water but there is a pond stocked with fish and a small woods behind the cabin. There is a much larger woods a couple hundred yards away. The only downside to the cabin is the woods behind it borders I-65.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    If the supermarkets are empty then I am guessing a LOT of people will be hunting and taking all the natural growing food that can be found.
    While this IS a possibility, I find it unlikely. I'm betting that the vast majority of the populace will be compliant and thus not subject to the wilderness survival scenario. Sure there is the chance of a natural disaster being the EOTWAWKI, but even in that case, there will be a seriously large percentage of the people that perish right away. Yes, it does look a lot better "on paper" than the reality of it. However I have training and practical experience and am absolutely confident that I can survive and provide for my children in a wilderness setting. It's 10% determination, 10% know how and 90% state of mind. I know this is more than 100%, it's supposed to be. That means that you've gotta give 110% because 100% won't be enough!

Top Bottom