anybody have experience training dogs? specifically Pitt bulls?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    PLEASE refrain from shock collars. They don't do what you are wanting it to do.
    At your dogs age it is VERY important to get a professionals help.
    Wish you the best!

Really? I was considering one for my boy. He's 10, and starting to feel his oats, get a little mouthy. :D

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Instead of a clicker, I have used a few pennies in a small glass jar. Just shake it to get the dog's attention.

What you want to do with it is break their concentration on what they is looking at or thinking about and get it back on you.

Training classes are the best bet for someone that have little or no experience training dogs. Most are very affordable and well worth the money.

Shock collars do not work, my 12 year old just chewed her's off....LOL

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    You need to get professional training and learn to use the 'clicker'. I disagree with the post by "clt49610", the purpose of the clicker is not to get their attention, but to be a marker. Every time they hear the click, they learn they've done something right and a reward is coming. While the jar of pennies could work as a marker, it's not very handy and not quick enough. The marker/click needs to be done as soon as the good behavior is done (ie. on a sit, the instant the butt hits the ground, the click should be given). I would get Karen Pryor's book on clicker training and work from there (after some professional help). -- Greg

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Below I will include the best book for the breed that I have read to date.
    But I'll address some of the comments you're going to get owning this breed. I have had 45 Pitt Bull Terriers in my life. I have bought them out of basements, out of trunks of cars, stole them off of chains etc. I have worked with 2 different rescure leagues and have have spent thousands on vet bills. Countless hours of cleaning up injured dogs. I took 7 full blown fighting dogs that knew nothing but the Pitt and cut them lose together in a fenced in yard.
    Be prepared to defend your dogs breed at any given time. The Pitt Bull can compete in any event you desire. From Shwartzhound (sp) attacking a sleeve. To obidenance. They are very eager to please. I will not own another breed period.
    If your dog isn't a good watch/guard dog and with it being 45 to 55lbs, then Amigo it sounds like you have the real deal! They weren't susposed to be these 80lb monsters. Guys just kept breeding the biggest pup in the litter to another big pup to create giants. Nor are they at all meant to be people aggressive. We all know what they were bred for. But the sport needs to be explained here to get an understanding. I don't condone animal cruelty or defend it. I AM AGAINST IT! 100% But I feel in defending the breed it should be understood.
    A 16 x 16 box would contain both handlers and a ref in a registered match. Each handler had the option to bath the others dog pre match, some guys would put a foul taste or poison on their dog. Would anyone want to bath a dog that might bite you? Would anyone ref a match where they may get attacked? This was huge during the depression, families needed to eat so dog men would match the family dog. It would then return home, assuming it won or the owner stopped the match due to injury and the dog refused to quit. The house wife would then doctor the dog up. This same dog still slept and played with the children.
    In 1990 they did a study of people biters, dalmatian #1 poodle #2 Pitt Bull #20. Any dog that bites that contains any kind of block head or brindle coloring is labeled by LE and media as a Pitt when it attacks. You have some guys out there cross breeding Pitt Bulls to people protective breeds trying to produce what they think is the perfect dog. This is BAD, you now have a powerful dog with a screwed up mentality.
    In WWII every country had a mascot breed of dog, ours was The Pitt Bull Terrier. Teddy Roosevelt had one in the white house. The original Little Rascals dog was a Pitt Bull. You see every breed has it's time. Time of bad rep. In the 80's the Doberman (remember peanut size brain) the 90's the Rotty got it. Currently it's the Pitt Bull. Not saying that there aren't the occasional bad temperament dog. That stacked with these back yard breeders out to make a buck doesn't help. But the bad temperament dogs do need to be put down. I could go on, I'll stop now.
    Learn how to use the choker chain properly and leash train him. The sound of the collar is what scares him, it is not made to choke. This takes an understanding of leash training. Never use his name when you correct him. His name is what should be used when you want his attention, to come, or praise. You have to catch him in the act and use a harsh NO! Never hit him or punish after the bad event has happened. Dogs have a short memory span.
    They also respond best to single sylabol commands. If you need any advice feel free to PM me. I have dealt with a lot of different training issues.
    Just remember your dog was bred for power, gameness, and stamina. Even it's heart is surrounded by muscle tissue. Pound for pound the strongest breed on the planet. Man didn't create a monster here, it created the perfect loyal working pet.

Just for the record, they jaw does not "lock" they just have a hard work ethic and won't give in easy. Best advice I can give you for getting them to let go of anything is to wrap your legs around the waste area of the dog, it's power comes from the back legs, and tickle the inside rear jaw muscles with either a small wedge stick or your fingers. A well bred dog won't attack a stray dog or a poor kitten. But if it is challenged by an agressive dog it will win. Period.

This book will cover most everything you need to know. From Breed history to training. I followed it to a T and I have a 15year old Pitt Bull with at one time 30+ commands. He's hard of hearing now and losing his sight a little. But still the closest thing to a son I have.

Shock collars are cruel and stupid, man went hundreds of years without them, why all the sudden are they these wonderful training tools. I once put one on my own neck....ouch

Amazon.com: The Ultimate American Pit Bull Terrier (Howell reference books) (0021898052483): Jacqueline O'Neil: Books

Last edited:

tom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    tri tronics

tri tronics have som egood schock collars as well as some videos on how to train with them, the videos feature hounds but i would assume they would work with any dog. The best advice i could give you is to be patient and trin ,train, train.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    1+ Huge Rep for INMIline.
    I have had 4 pitt bulls. All of them were stellar dogs. All of them learned to sleep on the couch almost immediately. I had one male that was 96 Lbs. He was the best with the kids. My current Pitt is about 45 Lbs. She was rescued from some wanna be gangsters. She was so thin and sick when we bought her from the thugs that I did not think she would make it. These dogs are all Heart. You can not believe how happy she is all the time. She needs very little training. Spend as much time as you can with the dog, they are very smart. She is the best kid I have.

Top Bottom