• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I can't seem to find many who are excited about it or know why this was SA's next offering in the XDm platform. :dunno:

I'm sure they'll be good but it seems like an answer to a question nobody was asking.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I can't seem to find many who are excited about it or know why this was SA's next offering in the XDm platform. :dunno:

I'm sure they'll be good but it seems like an answer to a question nobody was asking.
    Some people like it as it "replaces" the XD Service. But, I agree that most consumers would have rather had a XDm 45 or sub compact

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I would love to read a review myself. I was baffled by the fact that they shortened the barrel while the grip remained the same length. It seems like it would be balanced weird to me. I own an XDSC and I don't like to shoot it with the larger sized magazine with the sleeve extension. I think if I would rather have a true subcompact xdm or the 4.5 XDM

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    wow, great link lawraa. That does look pretty sick! Will rep you for the link as soon as I can

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    My distributor offered us some of them but we turned them down. I just can't understand why they shortened the slide without shortening the grip.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Plainfield had some. Got to handle one (I know its not a shooting review, but hey! :D ).

Three letters: M E H Meh! I am sure they are accurate like the XDM and handle well, but the idea of a full length grip with a pretty short slide sort of defeats the purpose of the 3.8 The gun felt great, but nothing extraordinary.

Personally, I agree with others here: Super capacity XDm .45 to compete with the Glock 21 (a regular rifled, similar sized or LONG barreled .45 so that folks can have a darn good HD or entry level comp gun) or a XDm true compact (shorter barrel, shorter grip, but make it to take the longer regular XDm mags). I don't think there are enough longer slide .45s out there that are at a pleasing and entry level price point. Not many carry the XDm for walking around (some do though! :D ) due to it's size, but that isn't the point. I personally think the GLock model 40 should be a factory long slide .45 for competition and super HD. :)

tnye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    Springfield XD-M 3.8

I purchased the XD-M 3.8 last week and took it to the range today. I own a full-sized XD-M 9mm, the service size XD 9mm, and the new XD-M 45 ACP. All are very good guns.

The XD-M 3.8 compares very favorably to the full-size XD-M 9mm in accuracy. I was really surprised to see that it had very little recoil. Even my wife, who hates shooting my XD 9mm service model, liked the XD-M 3.8 (she shoots the full-size XD-M 9mm normally and thought the 3.8 was very similar in recoil).

Pictures of the 3.8 make it look too long in the handle, but in the flesh the gun is actually very balanced and does not feel at all awkward. Admittedly, the full-sized handle may make concealed carry a little challenging, but I'm sure many people already conceal larger guns than the 3.8 so it really shouldn't be a big issue. And you can't argue with having 19+1 rounds at your immediate disposal.

The gun field strips the same as all other XD-M models. The recoil spring is pretty much the same as the XD service model -- all one piece. The XD-M 45 ACP, by comparison, uses a single long spring. Like all XD-M models, the 3.8 is easy to field strip and assemble.

I like the serrations on the slide for new XD-M models. They are deeper and easier to grab.

I should point out the XD-M 45 ACP is also an excellent gun. The grip on both the 3.8 and 45 is perfectly sized, much better than on my Glock 21SF. The XD-M 45 shoots very accurately, just like the 9mm versions.

You can't go wrong with either the XD-M 3.8 or the 45 ACP. I love both of them. They are great pistols.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    My wife held one a couple of months ago, and really liked the way it felt in her hand. I would love to find someone that has a 3.8 chambered in .40S&W that would be willing to let her shoot it. If anyone would be willing to meet at Eagle Creek on a Sat or Sun, shoot me a PM, I really would appriciate an opportunity for her to try one out.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I have a xdm .40 (4.5) and the 9mm 3.8. The only difference to me is that the 3.8 is waaaaaaay easier to carry. The full size is not carry friendly if you have a short torso.

DoomOfMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love mine but it’s also my first gun. So I don’t have much to back it up. I was going o buy the 4.5 barrel but at the last minute I got the 3.8. I’m not a big fan of compacts or sub compacts mainly because they shorten the grip and for me. I have big palms so I find it uncomfortable that my pinky finger is at the bottom of the mag especially if it’s a sub compact. I think it shots well, It feels like all the other guns I’ve shot.

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    I posted in an earlier comment about the XDM 3.8 IN 9MM..I still want one,but why did the price jump almost $80.00 list in a matter of a few weeks...makin me back off now...

JDIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Indy
    I don't own one yet, but I seem to keep picking them up.

I have to echo DoomofMan. I like the combination of the shorter slide with a standard grip. It just feels too weird for me to have half a pinky or less on the grip.

Top Bottom