• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    With tax, for 30 yr laminated shingles w/felt,nails, and ridge vent (e.g. GAF Cobra gun nailable) you're looking at $2000.00.

20 sqs is easily a one day job with a 4-6 man crew, even smaller. Through a contractor expect to pay $50-$60/hr. That's for someone with typical contractor overhead (taxes, benefits, equipment, advertising, staff, etc.) Someone on the side with a ladder and nail gun, I think half of that is very reasonable. Redneckmedic's friend would be right in line with that.

Whoever it is, be sure to ask for references. Also ask if the roof can be hand nailed instead of gunned. Most nail gun operators...well...aren't. Pressure is generally too high and you get blow-through or nail heads fracturing the mat. If it's too low or they nail at a angle where the head is not flush, you'll get small raises that can impair the shingles ability to seal.

One last word of advice, wait at least another month to start unless you're ceiling is about to fall in. You really want consistent daytime temps of at least 70 deg to give you the best adhesion in a self-sealing roof. I, for the life of me, want to scream every time I see roofs being put on in 20 deg weather here. They will blow off.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have seen hand nailed roofs with 3 nails per shingle.

It boils down to the installer, either they care or they don't.

Every blow off that I have fixed in the last 14 years was from the shingle not being nailed in the correct spot.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    We Prefer Certainteed products. I am pretty sure 6 nails per shingle will get you another 10-20 mph wind resistance. I would have to look it back up. If you use their underlayment, you can get some more. Plus depending on what color yu are looking into getting you can use the tax credit or go to Certainteeds newer cool-roof shingles that are in colors. They are quite a bit more in price, but they run a 50 year warranty and (supposedly) save a buttload of money in the long run. I missed the demo on all this the other day so I got a quick rundown on everything after the show. Certainteed is a good product, keep an eye on how many nails are being used, and make sure that it looks good when the job is done.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The insurance company is only going to pay for 14 sq out of the 20 we need. I don't get it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The insurance company is only going to pay for 14 sq out of the 20 we need. I don't get it.

Are they not paying for part of the roof that didnt have any damage?

I have seen that a few times. It must of been an in house adjuster. The Cat adjusters would of paid for everything and then some.:rolleyes:

DOnt try to work the "it wont match the rest of the roof" card. It doesnt work here in Indiana on the way that they insurance laws were written.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I don't have any idea what labor will run you, but call the Plywood King in Spencer for prices on shingles.((812) 876-4341) When we built in 2000 30 yr Owens Corning dimensional shingles were about $40.00/sq at the local big box stores. We got them from him for $17.00/sq delivered.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    $220-$250 / square for tear off, removal, felt, 30 year dimensional, and clean up.

2 story is extra
    steep pitch is extra
    valleys are extra
    any flashing is extra
    ridge vent is extra
    etc, etc.....

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I don't have any idea what labor will run you, but call the Plywood King in Spencer for prices on shingles.((812) 876-4341) When we built in 2000 30 yr Owens Corning dimensional shingles were about $40.00/sq at the local big box stores. We got them from him for $17.00/sq delivered.
    Thanks, I will definitely check on that!

$220-$250 / square for tear off, removal, felt, 30 year dimensional, and clean up.

2 story is extra
    steep pitch is extra
    valleys are extra
    any flashing is extra
    ridge vent is extra
    etc, etc.....
    Is pretty close to the estimate I received at $250sq

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I may need a new roof soon, and if we don't get a hail storm this winter, I will likely have to pay for it myself. In addition, I also need some gutters. Anyways, I have been wondering if a metal roof would be better than your typical shingle roof? I actually wouldn't mind doing my own roof, but I just don't know enough to do the whole thing. I could also see myself doing the tear off.

Do roofers ever knock the prices down if an owner is willing to help, even if it is to haul shingls to the roof, dispose of the old stuff, etc?

Top Bottom