• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    So I had a table saw accident three years ago, significantly cutting my index (trigger) finger. The end result is I have very reduced feeling in my trigger finger, and a lot of scar tissue right where my finger would hit the trigger. Makes shooting hard..... hell it makes a lot of things hard. But I know I'm lucky to have an intact finger, so I'm not going to complain. But just curious is anybody out there has the same problem.

J.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Have you considered switching shooting hands, I damaged my left hand three years ago, and had to become a right handed shooter.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The State Champion Highpower shooter many times over, does not have a trigger finger. He just uses the next finger down the line. He has shot like this for years. I think Lynn is now at least 70.

He is the only distinguished shooter that I know that has shot gold with all three service rifles. The M1, M1A, and AR15.

He is my hero....

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Have you considered switching shooting hands, I damaged my left hand three years ago, and had to become a right handed shooter.

I'm actually left eye dominate but a righty shooter. So I should give it a shot. Just hard to switch from what you know.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm actually left eye dominate but a righty shooter. So I should give it a shot. Just hard to switch from what you know.

Jack Spirko from "Survival Podcast" made a pretty big case for shooting as a lefty if you're left eye dominant on this week's Appleseed Radio broadcast. You might want to check out the archived version of the July 6th show: The Rifleman | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Jack Spirko from "Survival Podcast" made a pretty big case for shooting as a lefty if you're left eye dominant on this week's Appleseed Radio broadcast. You might want to check out the archived version of the July 6th show: The Rifleman | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio.

Thanks. I'm just worried that I'll screw a good thing up. I'm a pretty decent shooter.... The way I know. But I'll never turn down a shot at practicing something new. And luckily I have a .22 ruger to practice cheaply with.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Thanks. I'm just worried that I'll screw a good thing up. I'm a pretty decent shooter.... The way I know. But I'll never turn down a shot at practicing something new. And luckily I have a .22 ruger to practice cheaply with.

I completely understand. I'm also left-eye dominant, and I'm pretty frightened by the concept of me trying to operate the rifle completely backwards of what I'm used to. I just may give it a try this weekend, too.

Good luck!

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I am a big proponet of practicing on both sides. We did occasional weak hand training in the Marines, and after I tore up my right shoulder, I worked on it fairly regularly. I am comfortable enough to carry on either side, though I prefer my dominant side. Good luck.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear that.First thing I would try is to do a trigger job on one of your guns,about a 2 lb trigger,see how it works.My son lost the first nuckle on his index finger,he has the same problem.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My dad did the very same thing. Apparently the key is practice practice practice. On the upside, he used to like to show off and pick up bees and wasps and have them sit on that finger and pet them. And on the rare occasion one stung him, didn't hurt nearly so much. I still think I'll pass on that little trick.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    The State Champion Highpower shooter many times over, does not have a trigger finger. He just uses the next finger down the line. He has shot like this for years. I think Lynn is now at least 70.

He is the only distinguished shooter that I know that has shot gold with all three service rifles. The M1, M1A, and AR15.

He is my hero....

I've got pretty big hands, (I'm 6'7") and just tried to hold my Glock 21 and get my middle finger into firing position (safe practices observed) and couldn't imagine firing the gun that way. I don't think this is an option for me.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm actually right handed but was lucky enough to taught to shoot with both hands, I switched to lefty about 15 years ago after shooting a Glock match with both hands and doing a lot better with my left hand, switching back after 12 years wasn't easy and it still feels weird shooting a handgun with my right hand.

99zhuggerz99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    i lost the tips (down to first knuckle) on all four fingers on my left hand, i shoot right, but when practicing lethanded, it can be taxing, .22 practice and a few with bigger pistols and i can do allright, but holding onto a small framed pistol lefthanded is a challenge

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom