Anybody else have a wife that can't close just one eye?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAZOOKa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Plymouth
    After years of me asking, my wife finally agreed to come to the range with me today. She had never pulled a trigger until today. I was super proud of her. She shot the 10/22, buckmark, xdm 9mm, and AR. Her biggest struggle was using my scopes, red dot, or open sights because she can't close just one eye at a time. Anybody else have this? Any "fixes" short of a pirate eye patch? I was glad to finally take her and don't want her to not go anymore due to this issue. I guess we could practice winking before we go any further with shooting practice.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If she is "right handed", have her try the gun left handed. Some people can't close the "dominant" eye, so her dominant eye may be the left one.

If you and her are hell bent on shooting right handed, there are many ways to block vision to the other eye yet still keep it open: eye patch, tape, flip down card attached to a hat, etc.

Sports Vision Skills You Can Practice at Home
    on that page is a video that explains a quick and easy way to determine eye dominance.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    I shoot handguns with both eyes open and it works just fine for me. Can do it with rifles if I concentrate but it's all just personal preference...whatever works!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    After years of me asking, my wife finally agreed to come to the range with me today. She had never pulled a trigger until today. I was super proud of her. She shot the 10/22, buckmark, xdm 9mm, and AR. Her biggest struggle was using my scopes, red dot, or open sights because she can't close just one eye at a time. Anybody else have this? Any "fixes" short of a pirate eye patch? I was glad to finally take her and don't want her to not go anymore due to this issue. I guess we could practice winking before we go any further with shooting practice.

You lose a lot of peripheral vision by closing one eye. I would think doing it with both eyes open is far preferable.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i would say its superior with everything except actual magnifying scopes.......but other than that, if she can hit the target with both eyes open, she has a leg up on many novice shooters! be proud!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've shot both ways and have found that if I only slightly close my left eye it allows me to focus a lot more clearly with my dominant right eye. Really though, shooting with both eyes open is a great way to go.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My wife can only close her right eye and is left eye dominant. Strange that women have this problem more than men. Maybe its because they wait until their forty to start shooting and many of us took aim at 6yo. :)

Anyways, she can shoot a pistol by just putting it in front of her left eye. Rifles are more problematic, requiring a cheek weld et al. I haven't gotten her to even use a red dot yet successfully. She may need to shoot rifles left handed.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    don't make a shooter close one eye if they can't. Using one of the many simple techniques, figure out which is her dominant eye. Then while she's aiming down a blue gun or whatever, make sure she's focusing on the dominant eye's image. A gun with a laser attachment would be helpful to point out to her and yourself whether she's aiming correctly with both eyes open.

Top Bottom