• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Stun guns are pretty much useless for self defense. As was said they are pain compliance weapons as in "stop resisting 'zap' handcuffs" Unless you plan on holding it on them until the cops arrive they will just get up and keep going. I wore out a stun gun on myself trying to prove to friends that it is a horrible idea. If a EDW is going to be used it should be a TASER that actually fires the probes.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yeah, Rose-Hulman. Thanks for the IC. Any suggestions on a good device?

Sorry, I have no knowledge or experience with Tasers other than what I've read. My stun-gun experience has been pretty much how rhino described. It's uncomfortable, not not at all incapacitating.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'll be reviewing the "rules" at Rose-Hulman to see what our best options are.

lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Well I guess I can put in my :twocents: since I'm a recent Rose-Hulman Grad (2006) and my wife (2007). I'm guessing the school would see this as a weapon based on their definitions, but the good news is that the campus is very safe. On the other side of that, as long as you don't tell anyone, there will be no one checking your stuff. I know several people who kept guns in their apartments (off campus). Terre Haute in general is a pretty safe place as long as you stick to the "don't put yourself in a bad situation to begin with" rule . Generally the Rose community is very well protected by local PD, state police and campus officers/staff. Also, nothing is really locked...I mean ever. No one locks their dorm rooms when you leave for class. This is actually how safe a place it is.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Any suggestions for a non/less-conspicuous stun gun she can carry on campus?

I can't link from my phone Que, but read IC's pertaining to stun weapons. Indiana regulates some of them and treats them like firearms under certain circumstances.

It's IC 35-47-8 (the relevant section)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well I guess I can put in my :twocents: since I'm a recent Rose-Hulman Grad (2006) and my wife (2007). I'm guessing the school would see this as a weapon based on their definitions, but the good news is that the campus is very safe. On the other side of that, as long as you don't tell anyone, there will be no one checking your stuff. I know several people who kept guns in their apartments (off campus). Terre Haute in general is a pretty safe place as long as you stick to the "don't put yourself in a bad situation to begin with" rule . Generally the Rose community is very well protected by local PD, state police and campus officers/staff. Also, nothing is really locked...I mean ever. No one locks their dorm rooms when you leave for class. This is actually how safe a place it is.

Thanks for the info. I have a greater level of comfort now. My only frame of reference is IU and that place is Animal House for real!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

Having attended myself, I can agree to this. Very nice and safe campus, but that certainly doesn't mean she shouldn't have protection. I knew people who carried concealed on campus and never had an issue. There were several who kept long guns in their dorms as well.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Taser C2.

Designed for civilian self-defense. Shoots the probes (distant weapon if needed), yet still drive stuns in the event that she doesn't make good contact with the probes
    OR just use the sheer sound as a level on intimidation on a potential attacker.

C2's are an actual "Taser", made by TASER INTERNATIONAL and are $300-400.

Stun gun? Regardless of the magnitude or how many ever 176,000,000,000 volts they have, are nothing more than a pain compliance and scare tactic.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I gave my flashlight/stun gun to MiniJet because she really liked it...

photo_zps9a694b12.jpg

But she also keeps pepper spray in her vehicle. The stream kind, not the fog or spray. It runs out faster, but it hits @ 90mph within 13ft and the blowback is nil...

pepperblaster.png

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I gave my flashlight/stun gun to MiniJet because she really liked it...

photo_zps9a694b12.jpg

But she also keeps pepper spray in her vehicle. The stream kind, not the fog or spray. It runs out faster, but it hits @ 90mph within 13ft and the blowback is nil...

pepperblaster.png
    Is she old enough to carry yet?

Top Bottom