• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Finished Deacon Blues up late 2012, 68 Charger. Original 383 block and main caps, you can fill in the rest of the blanks from the pictures. HOK Cobalt Blue and pearl white.:)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Those of you doing these projects, how did you get started? I have always tinkered with my cars/trucks and had the bike in my avatar down to the frame and motor before building it back up, but doing a full blown build on a old car is terrifying.

It's easy, just like your bike you just start taking **** off and hope you remember where it goes when you put it back together!:rockwoot:

Digital cameras are a very important tool in the modern gearheads tool box and there are other forums on the 'net that are just as informative that don't even have a firearms section.:dunno:

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Those of you doing these projects, how did you get started? I have always tinkered with my cars/trucks and had the bike in my avatar down to the frame and motor before building it back up, but doing a full blown build on a old car is terrifying.

I learned to work on cars by using the chilton manuals and the interwebs, i was too poor to pay some one and had to get my stuff fixed and over time i retained the info and it turned into a quite fun hobby. Google and various fourms has helped me out ALOT on my s10 project. Esp on the wiring. Its really alot of google, trial and error, and tons of beer.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I get a Chilton manual for anything I own, just for information, but I just went elbows deep into my cars and found out it wasn't as intimidating as people had always told me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This was a 2-year project. When we got it home and started tearing into it, we realized it had been a race car and someone had covered up the beating it had taken. We had intended only on having some powertrain upgrades and mods, but it turned into a full-blown resto of sorts. Every last interior piece was removed and we had it down to the frame. This pic is just before we started. The body itself was in good shape, so there wasn't much difference. Mainly I spent hours taking off the gay white taping by hand.
    2009_0303_054208AA.jpg

The third trip out after it was all done, this happened:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/163310-my-gt-has-boo-boo.html

The current resto is Mr88GT's 92 notch. Thankfully, we already have most of the parts, only driven 3 times.

Like others have said, you just dive in.

I felt the same way when we started rehabbing houses. It terrified me to take a window out. Now I walk on roof trusses with no decking and have pictures of a house with the back wall missing an 6'x16' section. I learned rather quickly that it can always be fixed. It may not be cheap or easy, but it can always be fixed.

I'll be completely honest and say Mr88GT does most of the cerebral side of the auto work. I'm just the helping hand for the most part. Not the kind of helping hand where I sit back and hand him the socket or mallet when he needs it. I get hands-on dirty. I was the one grinding down the weld joints. I was the one helping him drop the gas tank on the GT whilst 37 weeks pregnant. I just don't have the mind to remember how things go back together the way he does. I have the same issue with firearms. :(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Went on a building spree when diagnosed with terminal Cancer in 2002. Built 2 drag cars and a street show car in a 5 year period. It was an insane pace but my son and I with some help pulled it off. All 3 were winners. The Camaro was always in or near the money and the Biscayne was a serious street/strip racer. If you look close there is daylight under the left front. That was through the mufflers air filter on and no nitrous. Lest hard on the street as well.
    Chevell won its class in the 500 world of wheels. Stupid fast street car.

Yes.....it is supercharged 4 speed car.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    I do this to every performance engine I build. One good reason to use aluminum heads. Just part of the blue printing process.

i agree. It's worth all the work. This is only the 2nd time I've done it I hate cause it's teadious work but it's the boring stuff like that that really makes a lot of difference.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Went on a building spree when diagnosed with terminal Cancer in 2002. Built 2 drag cars and a street show car in a 5 year period. It was an insane pace but my son and I with some help pulled it off. All 3 were winners. The Camaro was always in or near the money and the Biscayne was a serious street/strip racer. If you look close there is daylight under the left front. That was through the mufflers air filter on and no nitrous. Lest hard on the street as well.
    Chevell won its class in the 500 world of wheels. Stupid fast street car.

Yes.....it is supercharged 4 speed car.

one day I would like to build something like that maybe after I win the lottery. Lol

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Mines been 15 years, whadda ya got??????:boxing:

Hmmm... Going to be close... Want to give you a good answer... I need to figure out when I started on it. I know the garage was built in 96 so it was just after that.

Ok... Guessing on summer of 98... Titled on 2/99 and it took me quite a long time to get the title fixed. It was mess. So looks like we are pretty close.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our current project. The Blue 70 Camaro next to my 69 at the race track before it was retired. We bought it from the owner and it is about 50% done but on hold. Not sure I want to race any more.
    That car has been a drag car since the day it was bought new. Ran Pro-stock until mid 70's and was parked in a barn. Guy that owned it when pic taken found it and had it shipped here out of Arizona. We brought it up to current safety specs and put a new drive train in it. I got it and started on a total re-build.

Top Bottom