• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I was watching some videos of the old guys on youtube whittling and I think it'd be fun to try. Does anyone here whittle? Can anyone provide some recommendations for a good knife? I guess what I mean is, do you need a specific sort of knife or will any knife do? I have a Case knife, but I would be worried about screwing it up somehow. How about something disposable like an Xacto knife? Any input or a point in the right direction is appreciated!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I haven't done much in the past few years, carpel tunnel makes my hands start cramping up very quickly these days. When I was making chains, balls in boxes, even just spoons I used a Case whittler 08 pattern in CV. Today i would look hard at the Case Swayback Jack in CV with wharncliffe and pen blades. The wharncliffe is excellent for carving.

Case knives Case XX Knife Item # 7007 - Sway Back Jack - Chestnut Bone CV

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I do whittling with my Case. Nothing beats a real wood carving knife however - large handle, small singular blade type. With xactos the blades tend to fall out when you need them not to.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I looked at some of my grandfathers knifes and there is no name but they have a huge wooden handle and some are straight and others are curved looks almost like they have been fixed and remade again and again he use to make chains and animals on porch when i was a small boy he also made a pair of plyiers with soft wood and a few cuts maybe like ten cuts and they really worked for play not real boyscouts dug them but we was ten and every thing was cool then... good luck with carven my papa said the squeak of they chair was equal to the push in the cut always sat in a rocker on the porch the fallen wood was swept by me and placed in starter box by wood stove

Top Bottom