Any way to locate plastic underground water lines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a crew coming in the morning to start an addition onto our barn. There is a water line running out to the barn now which I capped below ground a few years ago when the hydrant began leaking. We don't need water there so it was cheaper/easier than buying a new hydrant and I can dig it up down the road if needed. They're be digging post holes first thing and I have the tools and materials needed to plug the line if they hit them. I'll be putting the backhoe on the tractor as well so if it happens it shouldn't slow things down too much.

I've been operating under the assumption that there is no way to locate the plastic lines underground but figured it was worth asking. We had (have) 3 hydrants in or near the barn but I'm hoping only one of them is in danger of being hit, that being the capped line. Other than standing by ready to get in there if it happens, anything else I could do aside from dousing rods?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We had to lay a metal tape along the underground pipes, like an old style vcr tape but metal, it was mandatory on construction jobs. But if you did the job yourself you probably didn’t do that. But if done by a company they may have. Just a thought.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had to lay a metal tape along the underground pipes, like an old style vcr tape but metal, it was mandatory on construction jobs. But if you did the job yourself you probably didn’t do that. But if done by a company they may have. Just a thought.
    I'll check but I didn't notice anything and I've been down to the base of all three hydrants. Doesn't mean I didn't notice it in a dirty hole though and I have no idea how long the lines have been in the ground.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We install plastic mains and services with a copper wire to locate them.
    Cut a metal coat hanger about 16" and bend it in a L . I've witched gas, water, electric...anything with a "flow" . The rod will spin
    Does that mean there must be fluid moving through the line? The one I'm worried about hitting is capped so no flow through that one.

Not that it really matters I guess. The holes gotta go where they gotta go and if I have to cap a line and do something with it later I will. Just curious more than anything I guess.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Drain the water. Send fishtape down waterline. Now get out the metal detector and you have your plastic water line found.
    With the years installing irrigation, thats about the only way to reliably track out a line with no tracing wire.
    You also can use a electric dog fence box to hook up to the metal fish tape, you can use an AM radio to track it out.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    When I bury a plastic water line, I drop a real copper Penny about every foot along the line - it is cheaper than copper wire, and gives a stronger signal to the metal detector

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Does that mean there must be fluid moving through the line? The one I'm worried about hitting is capped so no flow through that one.

Not that it really matters I guess. The holes gotta go where they gotta go and if I have to cap a line and do something with it later I will. Just curious more than anything I guess.
    No, should be able to witch the line.
    We've witched conduit also

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I used to tease my bil, man when you dig in the dirt, your gonna cut utility's.
    :nono:
    Nothing in this spot but the water lines. I've had the underground utility guys out to mark a couple of times and there is nothing on my property other than what's buried along the road. Once I'm 20' off the roadway I'm wide open other than these water lines and the septic.

Top Bottom