• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    How much value do UAW members contribute to their employers?
    American autoworkers are among the most productive workers in the world. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the typical autoworker produces value added worth $206 per worker per hour.1 This is far more than he or she earns in wages, even when benefits, statutory contributions and other costs are included.
    How much are labor costs in relation to the total price of a new vehicle?
    The total labor cost of a new vehicle produced in the United States is about $2,400,2 which includes direct, indirect and salaried labor for engines, stamping and assembly at the automakers’ plants.
    This represents 8.4 percent of the typical $28,4513 price of a new vehicle in 2006. The vast majority of the costs of producing a vehicle and transporting it to a dealership and preparing it for sale – including design, engineering, marketing, raw materials, executive compensation and other costs – are not related to direct or indirect manufacturing labor.

Driven by more consistent, leaner processes and buyouts of tens of
    thousands workers, the Detroit Three automakers in 2007 nearly erased the
    productivity deficit against their Japanese-based competitors, despite
    declining production and shrinking market share.
    The difference among the Big Six from the most to least productive in
    terms of total manufacturing labor (Assembly, Stamping, Engine and
    Transmission) has dropped to 3.50 hours per vehicle (or about $260 per
    vehicle), down from 10.51 hours (or $790 per vehicle) in 2003.
    Driven by more consistent, leaner processes and buyouts of tens of
    thousands workers, the Detroit Three automakers in 2007 nearly erased the
    productivity deficit against their Japanese-based competitors, despite
    declining production and shrinking market share.
    The difference among the Big Six from the most to least productive in
    terms of total manufacturing labor (Assembly, Stamping, Engine and
    Transmission) has dropped to 3.50 hours per vehicle (or about $260 per
    vehicle), down from 10.51 hours (or $790 per vehicle) in 2003.
    General Motors brought its total manufacturing productivity performance to
    32.29 hours per vehicle, its 15th consecutive year of improvement.
    Honda and Nissan led the six largest North
    American automakers, each earning a pretax profit of $1,641 per vehicle on
    their North American sales, followed by Toyota at $922 per vehicle. Chrysler
    lost $412 per vehicle for the first nine months of 2007, while GM and Ford
    lost $729 and $1,467, respectively, per vehicle for the full year. This
    reflects that the Detroit Three still pay more for health care, pensions and
    sales incentives. They also support more dealers relative to their respective
    market shares, than either Toyota, Honda or Nissan.
    The innovative agreements the United Auto Workers reached with the three
    domestic companies likely will enhance their competitive position in the
    future.
    First, the union agreed to a lower-tier wage -- about $14.20 an hour --
    for new hires.

What is being missed in most of this is an attack on the pensions.
    The Big 3 have problems with too many dealers. They want to reduce those numbers but with the franchising laws it will cost them dearly.
    It cost over 2 Billion to eliminate the Oldsmobile line.
    UAW wages are not the problem and are in line with the other automakers.
    GM needs to get through a rough patch here until more of the retirees die off. I know that sounds horrible but it is a business fact. Many of the retirees are all close to the same age group as GM had hired employees in waves. When the number of retired to the number of active workers adjusts GM will be just fine.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Blood Eclipse,

A very good post, thanks for it. :+1:

Our plant had the two tier wage system since the '95 contract and the Co. got the lower scale as rate in the '02? contract.... no 2 tier, new employees hire in at the lower rate and stay there... no grow in anymore.

But the Co. refused to bump pensions, give incentives etc... to get the senior seniority guys & gals to retire. So they never were able to fully capatilize on the lower wages. Some new hires under the 2 tire wage system, but they were lost in the '00-'02 layoffs.

And before anyone comments on any retirement increases or incentives.... the Co. could afford them both for management to retire!!! I really dont begrudge anyone receiving them (except CEOs, VPs etc..), but dont tell the represented employees they cant afford them and then hand them out to management.

And even the Co. admitted during local negotiations that they would in fact see substational savings by giving an increase in pensions and hiring the new employees on the lower wage scales (lower wage package including decreased insurance coverage, no pension, different COLA scale etc..)..... but corporate would not budge.

As a worker we have given, given and given, work for less, pay alot more out of pocket for insurance, lost $$ in our 401Ks and paying more for everything to live (utilities, food etc..).... the Co.(s) reported record profits for years.... did any of their products get cheaper? Did their upper management make concessions? Did these Co.(s) put away $$ for the downtimes??? All appear to be a big negative!!!

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Well I just got a call today from a guy I usually work with. I guess the power house in Wheatfield is going to have a 10 - 12 week outage sometime in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully Ill be getting a phone call soon, unemployment checks suck!! Hows everyone else doing?
    I just saw a show on Dateline with Chris Hanson, he was following around cops in a couple of different cities that had the crap ass job of evicting people from their houses. I guess Las Vegas alone will have had 50,000 evictions alone this year. Detroit and Philly are just as bad and they say its just the beginning.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Been off for a week - looks like it will be at least another month (UAW 1166).

BTW - Big 3 is losing money because of the union? Please explain why our plant manager managed to receive an $800,000 end of year bonus? Oh yeah - HE ISN"T UNION!!! Or how about the top execs receiving two million dollar retention bonuses?

flash409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I work at Subaru of Indiana, a non union Japanese plant. They have added a few non-production days to us but we haven't been affected quite as much as some.

Here's my view on the big 3 - The UAW is going to bankrupt these companies. At one time the UAW was needed but now they have added so much more cost to every car produced by the big 3 they can't turn a profit.

Just said my piece - Don't mean to offend anyone.:patriot:

they could turn a profit if the big wigs didnt make over 20 million a year each

flash409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    hi
    i am a union sheet metal worker out of local 20 in indy.. i have been layed off since the last week of feb. i keep checking out job bank line and there isnt anything in the country for us right now.. i just told my BA that i wasnt paying any more dues until i get back to work.. i ran out of unemployment until the pres. signed the extention and out union is raising our dues again.. i told them keeping a roof over my kids head and food in the house is more important than paying money to them to sit and not work..
    so it looks like i wont be a union sheet metal worker any more.. i got a letter saying i was suspended, so i really gave them a ear full..
    well good luck to everyone looking for work. i know work is not good here

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Well I just got a call today from a guy I usually work with. I guess the power house in Wheatfield is going to have a 10 - 12 week outage sometime in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully Ill be getting a phone call soon, unemployment checks suck!! Hows everyone else doing?
    I just saw a show on Dateline with Chris Hanson, he was following around cops in a couple of different cities that had the crap ass job of evicting people from their houses. I guess Las Vegas alone will have had 50,000 evictions alone this year. Detroit and Philly are just as bad and they say its just the beginning.

Hook a brother Millwright up!!!!

Gas and Steam Certified.
    Industrial Fork Truck Certified.
    Aerial Lift Certified.
    Hy-Torq Certified.
    I could use a powerhouse Job!!:D

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Its been a whole since I posted that. That job was pushed back but is supposed to start in about 2 weeks. I think they may be doing some work on the turbine and a few othe millwright related things.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Work is slow not just around Indiana but across the whole Country. Its actually worse in the surrounding states. Florida leads the Nation in Home foreclosures, 1 in 7.
    Indiana is still holding at 1 out of 10. The world economy is in a slump. We can all point fingers but its not going to change anything. We need to be calling our State Representatives on a daily basis, ask them when their going to bail us out.
    They seem to forget that if we aren't paying taxes on wages, their not getting anything to dole out.
    For those of you that are NOT union, thank a Union guy for establishing a fair wage.
    If it weren't for the Unions, we would all be making minimum wage.
    I suspect that things are going to get rougher before getting better. Inflation comes to mind. We'll see it before Fall. Our Country still carries clout with China. Promises are being made out of Washington that we'll never hear of.
    Do what you want, I started tightening my belt last summer. Things were far to good for far to long. You union guys know what I mean when I suggest trying to buy American. Help a Brother keep a job

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Card carrying steel-worker for 15 years...now laid-off 4 past 5, thanks USW worked in a small mill in northern Indiana closed and bankrupt by the Canadians...Bought by Italians that wanted me to return to work for less than half previously hourly wage...said NO. Unions are not what they used to be...government has gutted the power.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Headed back to work :yesway:.Was on TLO from 1/5 - 2/15, worked 2/16 - 2/27, ILO 3/2 - 3/24. How long this time ? :dunno:

Glad to hear you getting back to work, hopefully for longer this stretch!!!

Well, back in late Jan. it was announced that our Indy plant would be closing in July..... its been open almost/ if not 80 years.... they had seen worse times before, but this new management would rather fold up and run to a right to work state.... no union, can fire you on the spot and cheaper labor, unemployment and benefits....

Time to find another trade after 20+ years......

Top Bottom