• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Im a Boilermaker out of 374, and its bad.

We have a couple hundred guys on the list, the mills booted out all of the maintenance companies and it doesnt look like its gonna get any better anytime soon. Im probably not going to have any work locally until March, but plan on heading out of town/state when the opportunity comes around. Im hoping everything gets back to normal eventually, that might be a ways away.

*Side note*
    I understand some people are strongly anti-union. This is just to see who isnt working in the area, not to start a Union Non-Union debate.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    hey man sorry to hear about your strife. Is that the Boiler local out of Gary? My wife's family is/was mostly Boilermakers. I think they were in the 374.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have been laid off from Navistar/International Harvester since 1999. lol

Don't ask me my opinion of unions, especially the UAW.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I work construction as a Electrician. Was a lot of worked lined up last summer was looking good, but now it is all on hold around here. No idea when it will start again. Going to be a cheap Christmas around here for sure.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Will be in our prayers. And sadly, more people are gonna be added to those prayers over the next year or so I expect.

BT802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Terre Haute
    There seems to be a lot going on for pipefitters and boilermakers around Terre Haute. At least there was the last month or so. I work for a NDT inspection company, we've been X-raying a ton of stuff welded by those guys.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    There seems to be a lot going on for pipefitters and boilermakers around Terre Haute. At least there was the last month or so. I work for a NDT inspection company, we've been X-raying a ton of stuff welded by those guys.

Ill have to make some phone calls and see if anything is still going on. The last job I had was about 3 weeks ago down in Lawenceberg(sp) IN. It was supposed to go 21 days but only lasted a week, so that kinda sucked. I know there is some work in W. Virginia and a job just finished up in Baltimore. The only thing I dont like about the job in W. V. is that it was shut down the 2nd week because they had som rediculous number of recordable injuries(45 or somthing along those lines) and 2 guys were killed. So needless to say OSHA shut everything down to "re-evaluate" their safety situation. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I dont want anything to do with that.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm a 5th year apprentice at Plumbers & Steamfitter's 440 and we've got too many guys on the bench. Supposed to be some decent jobs coming up for bid in the nex three months or so, but until then, it looks pretty slow! I top out in June and don't want to be sitting on the bench when I should be getting a big raise!

Best wishes to you, SERVED_USMC

Doug K

jwalt01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Evansville
    Hello I'm a Operating Engineer out of local 181.
    I've been laidoff since the 17th of Nov.
    It still looks like alot of work to come.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Still working 40 hours a week, although there was almost 400 production workers laid off a few weeks ago. (I'm in maintenance) USW 715

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    the hubby has been laid off from Navistar/International Harvester, UAW Local 98, since May of this year. Nothing looks promising that they will be calling anyone back anytime soon.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    There's a pretty big job going down here near Mitchell with the Lehigh cement plant. They are building a completely new plant far as I know and I don't know much about it but I know they offered a Millwright friend of mine a job in the steel construction part. I don't know who is represented or any more than that but they are still working.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Im gonna try and find a welding job on the offshore oil rigs in the gulf. Road trip anyone?!?

Saw a special about a year or so ago about a ship builder up around the Great lakes region. It was a family owned business (rather large business). The guy had to install robots to do the welding. He couldn't find any skilled welders who could/would work. At the time, they had 7 ocean going freighters under contract. There's work out there.

Top Bottom