Any tricks for painting single pain windows???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I have 12 windows with 4 panes each. I sure do not want to tape off almost 50 windows. I just thought maybe use cheap plastic scrapers and use them as a backer to not get paint on the glass. I think the windows are 7-1/2 by 14??? Not sure if they make cheapo plastic scrapers that big. Any other ideas?

I seen some thing a long time ago on tv. Like some kind of soap to put on glass. Not sure about that. Or just say the heck with it and slop paint all over and use a scraper and scrape the glass.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    you are concerned about getting paint on the glass? Thats easy. Dont! (worry that is)

Have you seen the pros do it? they just overspray then use a razor blade scraper to cut a line on the glass at the edge of the wood, then scrape the paint off the glass. its comes off easily. 0000 steel wool also works well if you find flecks in any pits in the glass.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Try painting one window with nothing protecting the glass. You’ll get some paint on the glass. Let it dry and then try scraping it off with a razor blade scraper. I did that to my front door sidelights and the paint came off the glass easily, cleanly and quickly. You’ll find out whether or not you have to mask the glass; if not, it’ll simplify the task.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I hate painting so much I would pay someone. And I HATE that.
    You sound like me. I am a DIY guy, but not the guy on TV making cheap crxp. I am the guy who finally pays someone to do something and then says I could have done a better job in my sleep, then this bozo did and I am paying him.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Have you seen the pros do it? they just overspray then use a razor blade scraper to cut a line on the glass at the edge of the wood, then scrape the paint off the glass. its comes off easily. 0000 steel wool also works well if you find flecks in any pits in the glass.
    I never got to see the pros paint the windows. Any time limit? I hate to come back 3 days later and paint is bonded to the glass. It is an old garage and really need a few coats of paint. Some of the windows are dirty (and old) so if I get some paint flakes on the glass not a problem.

I guess this has become a time to get off my axx and get the garage cleaned up.

Don't even get me started on the fun I had reglazing the windows. Me and caulk (or glazing) never goes well. It starts off a little rough and the more I mess with it, it gets worse and worse and worse, until I get fed up and walk away.

Thanks guys, I will try it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont think there is a time limit. glass in inherently nonstick. It might get hardER as the paint cures, but unless the windows have tiny pock marks that would trap tiny bits of paint, it should scrape and scrub off.

Personally I'd do it the next day.

And as TSM suggested, try one first to make sure it works for you.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Personally I'd do it the next day.

And as TSM suggested, try one first to make sure it works for you.
    A lot of them to do and getting older. So I might move a little slower.

Might be a bit, but will post how it turns out.

Some of these windows, (or the whole building) may need 2 or 3 coats.

Your idea of scoring it sounds good too.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Years ago i have done it the paint and scrap method and also cut a couple milk jugs up as edge guide tools. Have to switch out here an there as paint builds up. Best to have a 2nd pair of hands to wipe paint off when you swap to a clean guide. I have also found out window blinds work great too..lil better than milk jug plastic. FYI..wear disposable gloves...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Try painting one window with nothing protecting the glass. You’ll get some paint on the glass. Let it dry and then try scraping it off with a razor blade scraper. I did that to my front door sidelights and the paint came off the glass easily, cleanly and quickly.
    This,

With all the years I worked construction I never saw a painter cut in windows with a brush or tape up the glass.
    They sprayed or brushed the window wood and then days or weeks later the windows were scraped with single edged razor blades by the cleaning company that cleaned the building before the turnover.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ^ this is your answer right here.
    Now, if you decide you want to paint a pane of glass and have it stick, I can help with that too.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Having been “volunteered” to paint all the windows on our house as a 13 year old get a good quality brush, the appropriate size, and don’t get paint all over the glass. Then you only have a minimal amount of razor blade scraping.

Remember to not paint your windows shut when doing the area at the edges where the window slides up and down.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Did I actually title this pain windows??? I guess they are a pain.

BTW not finished but did not want to drag out a brush this evening. I took out a scraper blade. It worked a lot better than I thought. Took a little time but did a nice job. Only trouble is the glazing is a little soft and easy to slip and cut into it. I sharp utility knife to score it did help.

I am timid to get out the spray gun and spray around the windows and do all that scraping, without taping the glass.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Did I actually title this pain windows??? I guess they are a pain.

BTW not finished but did not want to drag out a brush this evening. I took out a scraper blade. It worked a lot better than I thought. Took a little time but did a nice job. Only trouble is the glazing is a little soft and easy to slip and cut into it. I sharp utility knife to score it did help.

I am timid to get out the spray gun and spray around the windows and do all that scraping, without taping the glass.
    With just the time you spend taping the glass, you could spray the windows and scrape them with a blade.

Top Bottom