• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    So I know this seems like a silly post, but I have never used a outdoor public range before and I was wondering if anyone could give mee some pointers on outdoor range etiquette as I plan on visiting New Castle's range soon. I've read a lot of horror stories about public ranges and a disregard for safety and common sense by some of the range goers.
    Also I am interested in what you are allowed to bring as targets at a public range. My assumption would be paper targets only? Also what is the ettiquette for setting up said targets down range. Obviously this is my biggest concern due to potential disregard for safety by others.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    If it's anything like Kingsbury, don't **** off the range officer! Just follow the written and verbal instructions...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea the public range were I'm at is horrid! The main thing is to be observant of what you and everyone else you is doing. Mostly range etiquette is just common sense, keep all weapons pointed in safe direction, some ranges don't allow rapid firing and always make sure someone has called range clear or cold when going to setup targets and make sure everyone knows range is cold before starting to walk down. Yes most public ranges only allow paper targets, so make sure you take a target holder of some sort if the range doesn't have them already and or a staple gun with staples or some duct or masking tape to hang them as well as extra targets. Most often than not there will be respectful gun owners such as yourself at the public ranges but it only takes one moron to ruin it for everyone. Just be safe and have fun!

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Watch your surroundings, try to get there about 10 minutes or so before dnr gets there...there WILL be a line almost always. Paper targets only, don't pass the tables unless range is advised clear to put up or check targets. Paper targets only. No holstered weapons. No rapid firing or full auto. I always clean up my brass. Make sure you fill out the pink card when you get there, and if he doesn't recognize you he'll tell you all the other rules he's made up this year...grab a chair lol

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Avoid the folks in the TAC'd out 511 gear and apparel, 80% chance they are amatures and not real LE/Military. LOL

(Nit referring to New Castle as never been there just most other ranges I have)

Last edited:

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Oh yeah, bring a stapler. Not many people in full tactical gear lol, usually country boys a lot, sometimes a pretty boy here or there (like myself lol), once in a while a sideways shooting "gangsta"

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I've been to the NC range several times. Aside from Father's Day last year, it's always been fairly empty, but I typically go 8-9AM. Like Kramer said, bring a staple gun or tape. There are OSB boards on 4x4 posts to hang targets on. Sticky targets don't always stick well. As far as safety, just make sure everyone has stopped firing and announce you're going to go down range. Make sure everyone has looked at and acknowledged you, then start down slowly until you know everyone has seen you. The range rules are listed in a little wooden structure before you enter the firing area. But, as noted, they're common sense. Every time I've ever been there, everyone has been extremely nice. Never had any issues.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    If it's anything like Kingsbury, don't **** off the range officer! Just follow the written and verbal instructions...

This may be the best advice. Did once years back and believe me I will not repeat that mistake.:nono: Of course he was right and we got to know each other after a brief discussion.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Looks like the others have it. Obey the R.O. and posted rules, make darn good and sure range is cold before advancing to targets, keep weapons pointed downrange. The 4 rules still and always apply.
    The only thing I would add is to bail out if there's no R.O. and someone is acting the fool. It just isn't worth it.
    Beyond that, go slow and have fun!

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Pay attention to the people around u, take note if their license plate is from a neighboring state. Those are the ones who usually don't communicate at all, and u end up being surprised by their lack of knowledge. Last weekend at winimac, i had 2 different sets of people just start walking down range without any notice. It was to shoot their new pistols closer, since 25 yards was too far to see all the shots they missed while jerking the trigger with their eyes closed.It is also the same people who cannot be bothered to put their day passes in the mailbox and retrieve their own targets. Uggg, It made my little sister, who i took with me look like an expert just by obeying the POSTED range rules! Everyone in my family says i have a loud voice, it comes in handy at the shooting range. P.S. The earlier u go , the better it is. When i go early, everyone seems to know what to do and is friendly.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh Wow-
    First time.... I will always remember my first time....
    Jennifer Lundgren.........ya........

wait.......what.....

oh-
    Kevlar

Lots of Kevlar.

And do you have any life insurance?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Pick up your spent shells and targets before you leave (and all your other trash).

Make sure people around you are wearing hear protection before you start shooting.

Wear eye and hear pro yourself.

Stay hydrated ... etc.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Kind of an esoteric point, but I learned from it. I was shooting pre-WWII Mausers (internal 5 round magazine, not removable). When the range was called cold, I opened the bolt on my rifle but did not clear the remaining rounds in the magazine (I thought that would involve unnecessary additional working of the action and possibly be more dangerous)

Another individual using the range corrected me on this, and, an important point; I did not argue with them but simply said I would comply going forward

I put the question to INGO later and found out I was wrong. Most people felt the magazine should have been emptied, so I was glad I had conducted myself in a way that minimized contention

One of the best suggestions I received from INGO that day was to simply say something like "Two more here" when a cease-fire was asked for and shoot the magazine dry. Fine for <5 in the well, prolly wouldn't try it with a 30 but since those mags are removable it is much easier to completely safe the weapon

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Go to WW often. Watch the other guy and listen to the RO. Advice attained from INGO make eye contact with ALL people before going down range. The range is closed Monday and Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday can be real busy.

Some thing I started doing was using light green 2x3 poster board with white spray painted dot for a target. You could make several dots if shooting a rifle. This will allow you to see bullet impact from 25 or 50 yards easily with out the need to go down range and wait for the range to go cold.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    I'm so glad I live out in the country and have alot of land..I have never been to a city town gun range that's not for me...but you gotta do what you gotta do good...good luck

Top Bottom