Any suggestions for a two person ground blind?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This year I want to be able to take people out hunting with me and have a pop up ground blind that's large enough for two adults to sit comfortably. I have a neighbor who's not a hunter but is a deer magnet. Every time he comes over I see deer and he's agreed to back back and sit in the blind with me a couple of nights. I'd like to take my nephew on his first hunting trip, and my kids would love to sit out there with me just for a few minutes before they get too impatient. In any case I need to get myself a larger (wider) ground blind. Normally I use the cheapo pop up blinds from Ameristep and I've been perfectly happy with them year after year. Normally I put the blinds out in mid Sept, so they're old news by Nov and I don't pull them out of the field until Dec or Jan and the cheapos have worked just fine with teamed up with a cheapo camp chair.

I don't need anything too fancy, but I definately want to get something big enough for two adults to sit out there comfortably, and this may end up being something that the kids will want to play with out of season.

Any suggestions?

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    .... deleted a big response I had typed up about different brands and varieties.

I guess if you're going to leave it out for 4-5 months, you should get a cheapo and see what happens. It always blows my mind when I see guys doing that, seems like they fade horribly and get damaged or stolen a lot.

I can build a brush frame in an hour that will last for years... plop a blind up inside it when I'm ready to hunt and carry it out when I head home.

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Check out Kill Zone Hunting Blinds . I have had mine for 4 years and has been left in the woods 90 % of the time. Still works fine and looks good. Does not leak and the zipper in the door works good. has plenty of room. nice camo

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The ameristep blinds I've had hae faded a little bit over time, but they still blend in as good as they ever did. When high winds have blown them over the stakes held them in their place all I had to do was tip it back up and sit down. If some wind or rain gets through it, it's not the end of the world if I get cold, dirty, wet or whatever when I'm hunting and I half expect it anyway. The place I'm putting this blind up doesn't have a bunch of the natural raw materials to pull together to make a brush type of blind. I'm not as concerned about anyone stealing my blind as I'd be able to see it easily from my back window.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I have 2 separate Primos hunting blinds. I didn't spend a huge amount like you can on the double bull ones. My g/f and I can bow hunt out of them with comfort. One I leave in the field year round. they have the loops on the blind so that you can add grass and sticks to blind them into the area. They come with ground stakes and tie offs so that you can secure it so the wind will not blow them away. Would suggest going to a Bass Pro/Cabelas or where ever and have them set a few up and see what you like.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a bunch of lawn chairs that I normally use to sit on in a ground blind. Would two people be able to sit on lawn chairs comfortably inside an Ameristep Backpacker? Seems like it's a narrow footprint, but I've never sat in one of those. I've only used the Ameristep doghouses.

bowhunter1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    greenfield
    I've got a bunch of lawn chairs that I normally use to sit on in a ground blind. Would two people be able to sit on lawn chairs comfortably inside an Ameristep Backpacker? Seems like it's a narrow footprint, but I've never sat in one of those. I've only used the Ameristep doghouses.
    Last year I sat in mine with my daughter we had two folding chairs in it along with all my hunting stuff and coloring books and games for her it can be tight but I still had enough room to draw my bow and shoot out of all windows

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    I have an Ameristep but I agree it is too small for two adults comfortably. I also use brush ground blinds and theses work well for me because you can make them any size or configuration. My newest favorite is not a ground blind but a portable (need an ATV or a strong back) old aluminum stand for taking portraits that I bought in a scrap yard. This is 8' off the ground and is stable, kids can walk up it and it is semi permanent if you have your own land and can keep an eye on it (deer stands disappear). Picture shown is before being painted camo. Finally, and this is a little over the top, I rebuilt a stand in a tree on my property that will fit two adults that is 20' the air. Not a ground blind but good for two. Aluminum ladders are recycled heavy duty grain trailer ladders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      108.4 KB · Views: 10
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have an Ameristep but I agree it is too small for two adults comfortably. I also use brush ground blinds and theses work well for me because you can make them any size or configuration. My newest favorite is not a ground blind but a portable (need an ATV or a strong back) old aluminum stand for taking portraits that I bought in a scrap yard. This is 8' off the ground and is stable, kids can walk up it and it is semi permanent if you have your own land and can keep an eye on it (deer stands disappear). Picture shown is before being painted camo. Finally, and this is a little over the top, I rebuilt a stand in a tree on my property that will fit two adults that is 20' the air. Not a ground blind but good for two. Aluminum ladders are recycled heavy duty grain trailer ladders.

That's a nice setup!

DaMom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Middle Of Nowhere
    Hello guys! I came across this post and wanted to share, even though the post is a bit old.

I am scared to death of heights but am an avid hunter. I used pop-up ground blinds every year until this season. I bought a used PVC, very light shed and cut windows all around it, complete with hinges. I then used self-stick Velcro and a hot glue gun to adhere removable shoot-through screens for my bow (or rifle). Finally, I painted the interior flat black and camouflaged the exterior (the shed was originally a light grey). I have not used it yet, I just put it out this week. Hopefully it will do the trick! My husband and sons hunt from tree stands set all around the country side near our home, but I think they may have blind envy now. Hahaha

View attachment 22048View attachment 22049View attachment 22050

The awesome thing for me is it has a floor, so I can set my blind in a little bit of a wetter area than with the pop-ups, allowing for more range in my thinking. Also, deeper cover with the reeds and cattails on one side. I don't have it set in standing water, of course, but it is on some pretty spongy ground near the water source surrounded by deer prints. I guess we'll see..... :)

CmdrBoudreaux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Middlebury IN
    I have been using Premo Double Bull Blinds for several years. Room for gear, two hunters (grand kids, camera/tripod, etc etc etc/... Quick set up and tear down............quiet............nijna dark in side!

Top Bottom