• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I have a savage model 111 (not the accu-trigger) in .308 I choose this rifle over the 700 because reviews said it was just as accurate (and alot cheaper)

What kind of groups is everyone shooting with these? Mine came factory with a bushnell 3x9, and I am getting decent groupings at 100 yards, but I think I could squeeze out some more performance with a better piece of glass.

What are kind of kind of scopes are you accurate shooters using, and what factory ammo are you guys rocking in them. Thanks for the input!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a savage 10 fpsr that i use to demo the scopes i sell. right now it has a vortex razor 5-20x50 ffp on it, but its probably had 10 scopes on it in the last year. i dont shoot groups much, but the best 5 shot group i have gotten is about 1.25-1.5 inches at 200 yards. shoot me a pm with info like and ill help you pick a scope then sell it as cheap or cheaper than you will find it anywhere else

what you want to do with the rifle
    are you a bench shooter or a hunter/tatical shooter
    how do you plan to adjust for longer ranges
    do you like moa or mil
    what price range are you looking in

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I am a self-professed Savage fanboy...shot all four I own today.

This is my precious:
    IMG_1363.jpg

Savage 110 long action
    McMillan A5 with CDI DBM
    Criterion 22" 1:7 223 Ackley Improved, light varmint contour
    Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 mil/mil (MidwayUSA exclusive)

As for your 111 package gun...the sporter barrel should shoot fine but will get pretty darn warm after more than 5 shots. Despite this, the gun should shoot Federal Gold Metal Match (168 or 175gr) better than MOA. If it doesn't, let somebody else shoot it...if it still doesn't, something is wrong.

The package scope is probably a Bushnell Banner, and while its not junk, it certainly isn't "good". Spending a lot on optics can turn folks off, but nobody ever regrets a quality optic and this is one area where you shouldn't skimp.

vette can give you more info than I can based upon your intended uses, but I *highly* recommend the Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 or the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 specials offered by Midway.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I have a Savage FLCP-K in .308. I have a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 on it. I shoot .5 MOA with it at most any range.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Sorry. Its actually a savage model 11. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I do have a BSA MD624X40 Scope. Not sure if its a good one or not, im not very good with scopes. Is it better than the scope I have on my savage or not worth swapping?

I can shoot pretty decent groups already, I have just heard how these savages are tac-drivers and I really want to take advantage of the awesome accuracy. And thats a beautiful looking gun avboiler11

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a Savage 111 (no acu-trigger) in .270win, with WOTAC glass and at 100 yards I'm shooting sub moa all day. I haven't had the chance to stretch it out past 100 yards but I'd love to.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sorry. Its actually a savage model 11. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I do have a BSA MD624X40 Scope. Not sure if its a good one or not, im not very good with scopes. Is it better than the scope I have on my savage or not worth swapping?

I can shoot pretty decent groups already, I have just heard how these savages are tac-drivers and I really want to take advantage of the awesome accuracy. And thats a beautiful looking gun avboiler11

its not worth swapping, the bsa is a slight downgrade from the bushnell thats on the rifle.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    My only Savage is a 93r17 with a nice thumbhole stock on it. Picked it up from an INGOer and it might be my favorite gun to shoot at the moment.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    That's what I was thinking. It was kind of a cheap scope. I'll save it for something later.

Anyone had a chance to stretch there savages out to around 300 yards? I really want to use this a good **** gun

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I have been thinking about getting a another savage in .223 or maybe 7.62x.39. Is the accu-trigger all that its cracked up to be? And anyone know where I can find some stock options for my model 11. I always awww them for the 111 but never the 11

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I just purchased my first Savage a model 93FS in 22 mag. I've only had it out one time so far and the extractor didn't work properly so I had to pry expended shells out with my knife.
    Savage is sending a new extractor this week and we'll see what happens after that.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have been thinking about getting a another savage in .223 or maybe 7.62x.39. Is the accu-trigger all that its cracked up to be?

I personally like the Accutrigger...but some don't. I know I couldn't adjust it down far enough for preference on my FVSR without clipping about 1/4 coil on the trigger spring, but my 10FP is very nice.

And anyone know where I can find some stock options for my model 11. I always awww them for the 111 but never the 11

There are more stock options for short-action Savages than long-action Savages, actually.

First thing we need to know is do you have a centerfeed or staggerfeed. Centerfeeds have action screw spacing of 4.41" and the magazine is in the stock; staggerfeeds have action screw spacing of 4.27" and the magazine is attached to the action.

Bell & Carlson, Choate, Stockade, Manners, McMillan all make Savage stocks...and Boyd's & Stockys have laminate stock options.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    My rifle started out similar to yours, it was originally a Model 11 FXCP in .243. I have since made several changes and the only thing that is original is the bolt and receiver.

It is now a .308 and can shoot around .5 inch groups at 100 yds. with Federal Gold Medal (168 gr). It shoots slightly better than my Rem 700 PSS .308 but not much. I need to sell one but just can't decide which. Lol.

Model 11 centerfeed
    Criterion barrel - 26 in, 1:10 twist, varmint contour
    Rifle Basix trigger
    Large Savage OEM bolt handle
    Choate Tactical Stock

DSCF0122.JPG

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    No, the model I bought did not come with the Accutrigger, so I needed to replace the original trigger anyway.

Changing the barrel is pretty easy, it just takes the proper tools and a head space gauge.

This website has a lot of good info about Savages and the forum is really good. - Savage Shooters - Home

Top Bottom