Any Reputable Mechanics around Beech Grove/South Side Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Looking for someone to look at my wife's 2008 Saturn Vue. Pretty sure it needs either a CV shaft or a wheel bearing. Looking for someone who would look at it and not charge an arm and a leg to tell me what it needs.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    What sort of noise is it making? A clicking noise is a CV shaft, groaning going around corners is a bearing.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Its more of a faint moaning sound that (as silly as it sounds) sound like a "wa-wa-wa-wa" Its worse at highway speeds. Its never super loud, more of an annoyance and admittedly Ive been putting it off and now im tired of hearing my wife tell me to get it looked at. I am a "shade tree mechanic" type, but diagnosing this kind of thing is out of my league. I know the bearing is supposed to get worse around corners and I dont really notice that with this issue. It comes from under the passanger floorboard/front tire area.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Try CarTech on Victory drive. Good friend of mine owns it. I've known him for 30 years, they are honest and know their stuff.. Reasonable prices and they do excellent work.

Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Drive on it and swerve left and right. If it gets louder each time you swerve in the same direction, and quiets down in the opposite, it's the wheel bearing.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Vitamink's advice is sound. When I used to test drive for this I would jerk the steering wheel one way about 1/8 turn or less and then immediately back. Repeat for the other direction. If the noise disappears then it is usually the bearing.

Also, try rotating the tires and see if the noise changes.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Tagging for input as well...my wife's 2008 Acadia has an A/C unit that's acting up. Blows some cold air, some of the time, and the fan almost feels/sounds like it's blocked. It doesn't feel like it's getting a lot of pressure coming from the fan. And I'm guessing the compressor motor is messed up because you can hear feel something in the system kicking on and off.

...and I'm in the same neck of the woods, Southport area.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Try CarTech on Victory drive. Good friend of mine owns it. I've known him for 30 years, they are honest and know their stuff.. Reasonable prices and they do excellent work.

Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    I know Jack and Norene too. Great people. They are honest and won't push you to buy anything you don't need. They are in no way cheap. You will pay as much or more than any other shop, but the work will be done right. In case anyone has a Cadillac, that is Jacks specialty.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Tagging for input as well...my wife's 2008 Acadia has an A/C unit that's acting up. Blows some cold air, some of the time, and the fan almost feels/sounds like it's blocked. It doesn't feel like it's getting a lot of pressure coming from the fan. And I'm guessing the compressor motor is messed up because you can hear feel something in the system kicking on and off.

...and I'm in the same neck of the woods, Southport area.
    if the compressor is switching on/off/on/off, probably low on refrigerant. Might have a small leak that the do it yourself sealers can fix.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks Everyone. An interim update to the thread.

Took the Van to the dealer because it was starting hard SOMETIMES. (usually below 1/4 tank, but still sometimes above 1/2) No telling if it was a security system issue, (smart key) or fuel pump. Pretty sure it was a pump but our interlock is broken on the key (you can still turn the wheel even with it off; It doesnt lock the wheel) and we had the airbag light come on for a while due to a flaky steering yoke, so who knows what else was wrong so we wanted to take it to an expert.

The "experts" wanted $950 just to drop a nearly empty tank and replace a fuel pump. :faint:

Wife left a message at Browns and called Brooks. Brooks quoted 1/3-ish the cost, and Browns left a return message stating "since you have a diagnosis, if it is from a dealer we wont "get in the middle of it", making it sound like they were pretty much refusing our business. :scratch: I guess they are an upstanding shop, but a bit too allied with the dealers IMHO. Its not like the dealers are out $$, as they charged us $125 for the diagnosis. Even with that shop time its still MUCH better at a small shop.

INGO rocks!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Its more of a faint moaning sound that (as silly as it sounds) sound like a "wa-wa-wa-wa" Its worse at highway speeds. Its never super loud, more of an annoyance and admittedly Ive been putting it off and now im tired of hearing my wife tell me to get it looked at. I am a "shade tree mechanic" type, but diagnosing this kind of thing is out of my league. I know the bearing is supposed to get worse around corners and I dont really notice that with this issue. It comes from under the passanger floorboard/front tire area.

I have had a lot of experience with a problem like this (Wa Wa Wa Wa) and it was a tire.
    My daughters car also does this and the pickup trucks at work often do this.
    Determine which tire it is and change it, put on the spare tire if needed to see if the noise goes away.

I"ve had a lot of experience with bad wheel bearings several times also at work, the noise is different with them.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    As far as the noise is concerned, what brand tires do you have on there? Goodyears are notoriously noisy tires. I couldn't tell you how many sets we replaced when I worked at the Mitsubishi dealer. For a reputable shop that will be fair, honest, and probably the best price around, call Richard at Alliance Auto Repair. He is just off of main st in greenwood. We take our cars, sisters car, brothers car and parents cars there. You won't be disappointed.

Phone number : 3177303500

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Don't know of shop but the noise could be a wheel bearing. Several years back my wife came home as said her car was mooing, as in sounding like a cow. I took the car for a little drive and sure enough it sounded like a cow on repeat :)
    Turns out it was a wheel bearing.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Ya, the more I think about it and the more I drive it I think its a tire issue. Shes going to get them balanced tonight and see if that helps

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Normally speaking, balancing the tires will not take care of a tire noise issue. If the tires are making noise that is constant at all speeds, it is normally a wear issue. I would save your money on balancing the tires.

Top Bottom