• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I am not a recent graduate of boot camp so I can't help you there. But I want to offer my congratulations on making a commitment and wish you the very best of luck. If you see anyone that looks like me, act busy. ;)

th_IMG_0173_zps296ac79d.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Thank you for the advice. Does that make you a Master Chief Petty Officer?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    From fall in to to graduation, your Drill Sergeant will tell you everything that you need in life there.
    Do you know if you're going to Knox or Benning?
    You think your hair's short now, you just wait till............

Oh....Navy..........****ing Squids....:gheyhi:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    From fall in to to graduation, your Drill Sergeant will tell you everything that you need in life there.
    Do you know if you're going to Knox or Benning?
    You think your hair's short now, you just wait till............

Oh....Navy..........****ing Squids....:gheyhi:

Knox or Benny? Great Lakes is the only boot camp site. Onto Pensacola after that.
    My hair doesn't get much shorter. Pretty much stubble right now.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I got my general orders memorized and my creed. I'm working on my chain of command.

You may want to get a friend to (get in your face) and ask you your general orders randomly. It's one thing to know them by asking yourself, but it's another thing to know them when a DI is in your face asking for one random GO. You would be surprised how fast you forget.

There is a reason we all keep saying "know your GO's" It's what you will get asked the most with a DI in your face when you least expect it. They are just trying to break you down, just keep calm and answer.

Anyway.. Good luck and thank you for your commitment to keeping our county safe. :patriot:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    You may want to get a friend to (get in your face) and ask you your general orders randomly. It's one thing to know them by asking yourself, but it's another thing to know them when a DI is in your face asking for one random GO. You would be surprised how fast you forget.

There is a reason we all keep saying "know your GO's" It's what you will get asked the most with a DI in your face when you least expect it. They are just trying to break you down, just keep calm and answer.

Anyway.. Good luck and thank you for your commitment to keeping our county safe. :patriot:
    I recite them through out the day. My wife practices them with me. (Random.) I roll a set of dice and then say the GO of whatever number comes up.

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Boot camp at Great Lakes is easy. I was the 2nd oldest in my "company" at the ripe age of 23...all the others except the one were fresh out of high school. Boot camp is designed to break you down but many including myself get out without being broken down. The schools at NATTC Pensacola were brand new (moved from millington, tn) when I arrived in late 1996 for Aviation Electrician A School. But back to boot camp, they are still gonna cut your hair...no matter how short you cut it in advance! Pay attention to detail and follow exactly what you are told. There is a couple weeks or so of boot camp where you will be "cranking". That is where you become a essentially a slave in the galley (mess hall or "cafateria") for a couple weeks. It sucks but make the best of it, get in good with the MS's (cooks) and they will hook you up. If you have the bad habit of sleeping in or hard to wake up, get it figured out now before you goto boot OR find someone in your company that can help make sure you are up. DOnt pay attention to the calendar while at boot camp and it will go ALOT faster. Navy boot camp is absolutely nothing like Marine or Army boot camp SO RELAX. The Marines and Army dont require you to think for yourself alot during boot camp, Navy does. The Air Force...well they get cable and a tv at each of their beds, right? :):

Enjoy! It will make great memories....if you let it. Dont be one of the "kids" that gets caught out in chicago in your sweat pants with Navy written down the leg and across the shirt that obviously jumped the fence in the middle of the night at Navy boot camp. The cops know whats up and it wont be pretty if they have to deliver you to the gate guards! Dont be suprised to see some grown men cry like lil girls, they are the ones that let themselves get broken down.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There's a reason he went Army and not Navy. Crazy in the head. Of course I'm not listening to him. ;)

Now now, you have not quite earned the right to bash us grunts.... YET... remember the whole ears open, mouth shut thing?

I recite them through out the day. My wife practices them with me. (Random.) I roll a set of dice and then say the GO of whatever number comes up.

That's a good idea.... another would be to carry your cell phone while on a run and have your wife ask you while you are running.... or do 100 yard sprints and recite it after each one, randomly.... If you can keep your mind right through 1100 yards of sprinting and get it right you are good to go.

If you REALLY struggle, learn the slang to remember which order is which, but say the longer version. such as,..... I will guard my post from flank to flank and take no **** from any rank.

And if you do get a brain fart do not say I DONT KNOW.... without following up with, I will get the answer at the earliest possible opportunity.... It wont really help anything other than it may keep you from becoming a target.... the drill sergeants will pick their go to guys to pick on within the first two weeks, you really don't want to be that guy.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Now now, you have not quite earned the right to bash us grunts.... YET... remember the whole ears open, mouth shut thing?

That's a good idea.... another would be to carry your cell phone while on a run and have your wife ask you while you are running.... or do 100 yard sprints and recite it after each one, randomly.... If you can keep your mind right through 1100 yards of sprinting and get it right you are good to go.

If you REALLY struggle, learn the slang to remember which order is which, but say the longer version. such as,..... I will guard my post from flank to flank and take no **** from any rank.

And if you do get a brain fart do not say I DONT KNOW.... without following up with, I will get the answer at the earliest possible opportunity.... It wont really help anything other than it may keep you from becoming a target.... the drill sergeants will pick their go to guys to pick on within the first two weeks, you really don't want to be that guy.

Thanks for the extra bits I really appreciate it. I like the idea of having my wife call me during runs to ask general orders. I recite them to myself through out the day while driving. As silly as it sounds I don't turn my radio down I just recite them over the sound of talk show. I figure the extra distractions are good for me to really get them down. Definitely will be the oldest guy there so I'm working hard to make sure I'm no where near the slowest or weakest.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Learnin, and exercising ahead of time is good.

My best advice is worth as much as you paid for it.
    And that advice is to remember, Boot Camp's purpose is to STRESS you, and make you part of the team.
    So, don't take it personal when they are screaming at you.
    Listen to what you are told.
    Learn from other's mistakes.
    Don't get angry.
    Remember, it is a game. Learn the rules. Remember the objective of the game.

They want to get rid of people that can not handle any stress, or work in a team.
    Yes, learning Navy "stuff" is important, but more of a secondary purpose.

USS John Marshall SSN-611

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Learnin, and exercising ahead of time is good.

My best advice is worth as much as you paid for it.
    And that advice is to remember, Boot Camp's purpose is to STRESS you, and make you part of the team.
    So, don't take it personal when they are screaming at you.
    Listen to what you are told.
    Learn from other's mistakes.
    Don't get angry.
    Remember, it is a game. Learn the rules. Remember the objective of the game.

They want to get rid of people that can not handle any stress, or work in a team.
    Yes, learning Navy "stuff" is important, but more of a secondary purpose.

USS John Marshall SSN-611

Thank you.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just remember that it's all about stoicism, i.e. the ability to do what they tell you -- even when your company commander is mere inches away from your face shouting his head off -- without crying, laughing, or taking a swing at him.
    Do what they tell you, but don't be stupid about it.
    Many is the time that our company commanders barked at us "If I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?"
    Don't talk in the galley unless you want to get in trouble.
    Ignore the "bug companies" populated with fools who will try to get you to talk in there.
    You're required to run when traveling alone (not in formation) on the base unless you're on light duty.
    However, I used a little trick that I figured out on my own, which was to salute everyone and everything I saw on base, since you always slow to a normal walk to salute.
    I saved myself from exhaustion many times that way traveling alone at RTC Great Lakes, which is a pretty big base, depending on where you're going.
    Service Wweek (aka Hell Week) will wear you out, but there are still some really nice jobs that won't be quite so bad, such as Jack-of-Dust, which are the guys who get food supplies for the galley.
    The main rule of thumb is that if your company commanders barely know your name by the time you pass in review and leave, you did very well indeed.
    Good luck.

Navy 1987-1991

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    You're right Great Lakes for boot and then onto Pensacola for A school. I'm gonna be IT. Info tech.

You will like being in P'cola. Its a fun place and the beaches are great. If you get to be there during spring break, head over to Panama City for a good time.

I got my general orders memorized and my creed. I'm working on my chain of command.
    You are going to be so far ahead of most of the guys in your division. You will probably stand out to the Chiefs and the 1st classes. You need to request leadership positions right away. If you stand out in boot camp, you can be promoted at the end of graduation.

I'm just about up to speed on the PRT. Gotta get my sit ups up. I'll get there though.
    Keep working out hard before you go in and you will find it is easy to do the Navy's PT. Plus you won't be sore like most of the guys.

Keys for making E4 in the Navy:
    1. Don't go to Captain's Mast.

Keys for making E5 in the Navy:
    1. Show up to work on time.
    2. Keep a good uniform, shave and hair cut.
    3. Spell name correctly on the advancement exams.

Remember to milk the Navy for all you can. There are a lot of benefits.

ET2 (SW/AW)
    CVN-70 from '98-'02
    US Navy '96-02

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Thank you for laying your life on the line for us. That is most appreciated. Thank you all, for that matter.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Never say the words "that's not my job".
    Know your job inside out, backwards, sideways and upside down. Know it as thoroughly as you can.
    Then start learning everyone else's.
    As you progress in rank remember that you start making Chief as a second class.
    Always be a sponge for knowledge.
    Go to sea. Chief's are made at sea.
    You will be judged by who you associate with. Pick wisely.
    One "aw, crap" will wipe out a hundred "atta boys".
    Be loyal.
    You will be given crap jobs. Do them to the best of your ability and with enthusiasm. People are watching.
    Don't half-ass anything that has your name tied to it. Even if it's sweeping a passageway.
    Being the best at your paygrade gives them incentive to keep you there. Be the best at that and the next step as well.
    Set goals and never lose sight of them. Being a self-motivator is beyond value.
    Don't wait to be told to do something you know needs to be done.
    Anytime at work or at sea is time dedicated to your next promotion. Waste it at your peril.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    You will have numerous inspections during boot camp. For the love of all thats holy, if the DI asks you " Are you sure?" Then you done answered the question wrong and they are giving you a second chance.

General orders and ranks will help you out a lot, most of it other than that is all pretty basic stuff. The most frustrating part will be dealing with your felow sailors, seemed like there were always a couple that just could not get their crap in one sock, and made the rest of us suffer.

NAVY= never again volunteer yourself. All of the different jobs that they have for recruits during bootcamp mean nothing once you complete bootcamp. Unless you want the added pressure, don't volunteer for anyhting.

The sailor that nobody knows their name of by the end of bootcamp did well ;)

Good luck and congradulations, the Navy is a great way to serve your country.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Your no spring chicken are you? Good luck! You seem to be taking initiative now and that's great! Don't ever give up. Don't get involved in any drama. If you see someone ****ing up you go to them personally and set them straight. Team is everything. Army here not Navy.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Just remember that it's all about stoicism, i.e. the ability to do what they tell you -- even when your company commander is mere inches away from your face shouting his head off -- without crying, laughing, or taking a swing at him.
    Do what they tell you, but don't be stupid about it.
    Many is the time that our company commanders barked at us "If I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?"
    Don't talk in the galley unless you want to get in trouble.
    Ignore the "bug companies" populated with fools who will try to get you to talk in there.
    You're required to run when traveling alone (not in formation) on the base unless you're on light duty.
    However, I used a little trick that I figured out on my own, which was to salute everyone and everything I saw on base, since you always slow to a normal walk to salute.
    I saved myself from exhaustion many times that way traveling alone at RTC Great Lakes, which is a pretty big base, depending on where you're going.
    Service Wweek (aka Hell Week) will wear you out, but there are still some really nice jobs that won't be quite so bad, such as Jack-of-Dust, which are the guys who get food supplies for the galley.
    The main rule of thumb is that if your company commanders barely know your name by the time you pass in review and leave, you did very well indeed.
    Good luck.

Navy 1987-1991
    Thanks for the tip on running across base. I'll definitely keep that in mind. People keep talking about service week. If I'm not mistaken a few years ago they did away with that and they now hire civilians to fill those rolls. The logic was they could have an extra week of training recruits if they outsourced.

Top Bottom