• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Is anyone storing coconut oil? It is one of the best sources of healthy fat and energy, with a relatively long shelf life. I was thinking about ordering a few gallons from Tropical Traditions. I like to put it in my protein shake (Primal Fuel) which could be another item to stock up on in case of emergency, it just mixes with water. Wouldn't this be preferential to empty carbs like rice, and flour?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    You definitely need fats in your diet, in ballance with protein and carbs. I wasn't aware of coconut
    oil's longevity. Just FWI all oils spoil but you can delay this if you keep in in metal, or better yet
    glass. Original container if possible. Manufacturers saturate most oil/ fats with nitrogen as they
    pack it to retard oxygen absorption. Oxygen will migrate through most plastic containers.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Last coconut I bought I didn't mark. No idea how long I have had it. Probably use it as a weapon instead of a food source.

What is the life span on the nut as a whole?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Last coconut I bought I didn't mark. No idea how long I have had it. Probably use it as a weapon instead of a food source.

What is the life span on the nut as a whole?

Coconut oil gets very hard over time. It is still good though, put a little heat to it and use it.
    I have had some over 5 years old and it was still good,

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    From what I've seen and read, coconut oil turns to liquid at 76 degrees Fahrenheit and stays solid below that point. It keeps a long time either way. Commercial coconut oil producers say 2 years+, but I wouldn't doubt Hotdoger is correct.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    We use Coconut oil a lot in our lives. My wife and I use it in our deodorants and lotions we make and also use it in different food recipes. We are fortunate to live near an Amish bulk supply store. They have it any quantity you can imagine and cheep too.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    You are not alone. I honestly don't have as much coconut oil stocked up as I would like, but that is only one of many areas I feel unprepared in. I actually am considering storing at least a little white rice, just in case. It's as close to a safe grain as you can get, and it's not like you'd be able to consume it in harmful quantities in a survival situation anyways.

You should definitely stock up on sardines. I probably have enough to feed me for a month, and they are very paleo (and tasty). I know they sound disgusting, but once you get past the mental block I think they taste better than canned tuna. They are loaded with good fats and protein (not just flesh meat like tuna), and they also don't have any risk of heavy metal poisoning. Most of the cheaper stuff is packed in disgusting vegetable oil, but Brunswick and King Oscar both have olive oil or water packed varieties.

Stay away from the stuff in the little pouches, because it has "no fat" in it through some black magic I don't understand. I also wouldn't bet on it lasting nearly as long as a can, either.

I think he's drunk the paleo kool aid.

It's too bad more people don't get hooked on the paleo kool aid. It comes with so many benefits for any situation, but especially for a survival one. It should truly be promoted as a prepping tool.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Ask the liberal food police. It was total nonsense. They banned it on the premise it was unhealthy and less than a decade later it shows upon the shelves of healthfood stores.

This is only one of the many sad truths one discovers when they drink the kool aid. I believe they also used to use it to do the frying at fast food joints. Coconut oil is by definition a saturated fat, and saturated fats had to be outed for the benefit of our vegetable oil industry. If most people knew how much evil saturated fat I ate they would be the ones to have a heart attack.

Paleo is a saving grace when it comes to sorting out all the BS that mainstream medicine puts out there every year: I just try to do whatever is according to my nature. New breakthrough studies (funded by big corporations with conflicting interests) rarely tend to change human history.

Top Bottom