• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes I am a Christian and God has shown Himself to me so many times and ways. Just finished doing a study on the book of Matthew---would encourage everyone to read it.
    Covers a lot of what is being said here on this thread. It is only by God's grace and love that I'm still here.

Matthew 6 is one of my favorite chapters!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am a Christian and definately believe. I am not a supporter of organized religion idea though. I can read, research and dont need someone else how to interpret the scripture.

I agree with this. I don't NEED to attend church, but I do so because it allows me to fellowship with like minded people. I do learn from the teaching and am uplifted by the music.

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    My wife and I are currently members of and attend The Creek
    Not the only Christians, but Christians only.

One of the stories I remember hearing as a youth was actually an object lesson around a bonfire during church camp. The fire had be going for quite a while and there was a nice hot bed of coals all glowing a bright orangish red. The speaker took a stick and pushed one of the embers off to the side, just outside the bed of coals. Without a word he just stood there and we all watched it slowly loose it's glow and heat. He finally talked to us about how important it was to join in with other Christians in worship and study and service to help us keep our fire lit and our souls warm. He spoke of how together as a group we were much more able to generate light and warmth to a world in need of so much of both. He then pushed the cool dark coal back into the fire and within moments it was hot and glowing red again.

I don't go to church because I have to. I go to church because I want to. I want to be with my friends who are also walking this path. We walk together, we struggle together, we cry together, we rejoice together, we worship together. We gladly pool our resources (offerings) to support people (ministers) who labor each day in service to God and community.

In the same way people join this forum (and some even give offerings to Fenway - called site supporters) to be together with other gun owners and people who know and understand guns, I go to church to be with people who know and try understand God a little more each week.

Sure the church is full of hypocrites, but there's always room for more, and at least they are there trying to learn how to change. As Abigail Van Buren said, "A church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints." Thank God for grace and salvation through his son, Jesus.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm a christian and I thank God everyday that I am.

I don't really have a story or incident that really caused me to become a christian, I've always believed.

I was in an accident about 6 yrs ago that I know that God (for whatever reason saved my life). I was T-Boned by a semi tractor trailer that was going 45 mph when he struck my pick up truck on the drivers side. I was then smashed into a second semi on the passenger side. The semi extended into the cab of my pick up truck almost 2 feet, with the bumper of the semi was on top of my left shoulder. It took the fire department about 25 minutes to extricate me from in between the 2 semis. I was then flown by a helicopter to a trauma center. I have no memory of the accident, and only partial memories of my time in the hospital. The next 2 months I remember pretty much as if I was in a fog state inside of a dream. The one thing that makes me believe that I should have died that day is EVERY single trauma doctor and nurse that was involved in my care, all to a person, said that the only time the see injuries that I sustained have always been on dead people. Besides the head injury that I had, along with the broken left leg, was my chest was pretty much crushed in the front, breaking my sternum and my ribs in my back were broken meaning that the force that it took to do that traveled through my body which should have then ripped my aorta out of my heart (and I should have bleed out in minutes). But thankfully it didn't.

My dad was never very religious and would have told you before that night that he didn't believe in God, but after that accident and seeing my F150 crushed he never doubted in God's existence after that. My dad passed away 2 yrs after that accident and I know that he now is in Haven and for that I would go throught that accident everyday of my life gladly.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    It is a shame that so many people think that they have to do something to get to heaven.
    As Paul shared, we are not under law any more we are under grace. Christ died for all sin, past, present, and future. Our sins have been forgiven if only you will except His gift to us.
    When churches say you have to do this or that in order to be saved they are still operating under the law.

I don't pretend to know the Ultimate Truth on this issue, but to be fair, there are Christians who believe differently than this. There are passages in the Bible that support both interpretations, so I don't see how anyone can claim to solve this authoritatively by scripture.

Personally I believe we are blessed in our earthly lives when we obey the Savior in matters such as forgiveness, service, and love for our fellow man. I don't think we can really walk with Him unless we are at least trying to do these things. However I do agree that these acts are not sufficient to overcome our sins and we do require grace for salvation.

mmills63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Shelbyville, IN.
    I am a Christian. I believe that Christ died for my sins, was crucified, and on the 3rd day rose from the grave, having victory over death. Now, all anyone has to do is accept this gift of His grace to be saved. It is not by anything that we can do, but what Christ has done for us.
    Very easy way to explain being a christian!!! None of us live without sin but god is a forgiving god. Yes I am very much a Cristian and proud to be!!!!:rockwoot:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My most interesting event is not a warm fuzzy one. I won't give details but the nature of the matter could easily have escalated to dividing or destroying a fellowship. I felt directed by the Spirit, through much prayer and fasting, to leave quietly after the matter turned personal and ugly. (I don't do anything quietly and welcome confrontation.) We felt shunned by our very close friends of many years. This was my point closest to God but furthest from "church." After a time of dealing with the seperation we knew we must open ourselves to this possibility again and find a new church.

The fire had be going for quite a while and there was a nice hot bed of coals all glowing a bright orangish red. The speaker took a stick and pushed one of the embers off to the side, just outside the bed of coals. Without a word he just stood there and we all watched it slowly loose it's glow and heat. He finally talked to us about how important it was to join in with other Christians in worship and study and service to help us keep our fire lit and our souls warm. He spoke of how together as a group we were much more able to generate light and warmth to a world in need of so much of both. He then pushed the cool dark coal back into the fire and within moments it was hot and glowing red again.

I know this to be true and am glad to be able to quote it here in this thread.:yesway:

We found a new fellowship to attend, have made many new friends over the past few years and are serving again in various capacities. Have worked through forgiveness and ammended friendships with several from the past. In hindsight, I truly believe it worked out for the best and just the way it was supposed to.

Without any form of challenge or persecution in our walk, how strong a faith would we ever develop? I've found He uses people... flawed, ordinary people, to achieve His purposes most of the time. For better or for worse, I'm part of the body of believers.

How may I encourage, challenge or persecute you today?:D

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My most interesting event is not a warm fuzzy one. I won't give details but the nature of the matter could easily have escalated to dividing or destroying a fellowship. I felt directed by the Spirit, through much prayer and fasting, to leave quietly after the matter turned personal and ugly. (I don't do anything quietly and welcome confrontation.) We felt shunned by our very close friends of many years. This was my point closest to God but furthest from "church." After a time of dealing with the seperation we knew we must open ourselves to this possibility again and find a new church.

I know this to be true and am glad to be able to quote it here in this thread.:yesway:

We found a new fellowship to attend, have made many new friends over the past few years and are serving again in various capacities. Have worked through forgiveness and ammended friendships with several from the past. In hindsight, I truly believe it worked out for the best and just the way it was supposed to.

Without any form of challenge or persecution in our walk, how strong a faith would we ever develop? I've found He uses people... flawed, ordinary people, to achieve His purposes most of the time. For better or for worse, I'm part of the body of believers.

How may I encourage, challenge or persecute you today?:D

Engineers and metallurgists call this "Work Hardening." To make many metals stronger, you must heat them up, and then strike them with tremendous force. The result is a stronger material than you had when you started.

The same is true with our faith. When it is put to the test, or challenged, or becomes difficult, it is part of a strengthening process.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Jenny,

I respect your wishes and will not force the issue, but I do encourage you to read and pray about the following verses. religions is a very controversial subject, however I believe that as a believer in Christ it is my duty to share what Christ has done.

Matthew 28:18-20 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Thank you for sharing colt, but I find myself wondering, respectfully, why this particular passage? I stated that I am a Christian and am very fulfilled in my faith. Why was this the passage you felt the need to share as opposed to any others? Aren't they all just as important? Why this one?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Thank you for sharing colt, but I find myself wondering, respectfully, why this particular passage? I stated that I am a Christian and am very fulfilled in my faith. Why was this the passage you felt the need to share as opposed to any others? Aren't they all just as important? Why this one?

I believe they are all as important, however I didn't have room to post them all :D. That is sarcastic and serious at the same time.

I am a firm believer that verses should be looked at collectively and not just by themselves.

The main reason I share this, is I beleive as Christians we are to share the word with others. This is very difficult if we do not normally share or religious beleives with others.

Also, somewhat of a side note. I know what God has done for me and to my life and I couldn't imagine not sharing that with someone else.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I attended a catholic church when I was young but was never confirmed. I attended very rarely until 3 years ago when I met my fiancee and she asked me to go to church with her. It's a non-denominational church with contemporary and traditional services. We attend the contemporary services and it really has spoken to me in a way that my past churches had not. Granted I'm older now but I can relate to the pastor as a person and I enjoy and am engaged in the sermons.

I've taken a Christian Basics course that explains alot of the basic things in the Bible that I did not understand until now, it's been very eye opening.

I've since joined the church and recommited myself to Jesus Christ by being baptized again. I am not perfect, nor will I ever be. I will/do make mistakes. But every day I think of Jesus Christ and try to keep him at the center of my heart and to let him guide me through my daily life. I thank him for bringing my fiancee into my life.

I also try to read a daily devotional every morning or day to learn more about Christ and the scripture.

I hope this helps someone "take the leap" into attending/joining a church.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I am. However I refrain from discussing it much due to the controversy the subject tends to engage and I prefer not to tarnish it in any way. Let's just say, my faith is very private, very personal, very fulfilling.
    :rockwoot:I agree!

All I will say is, I AM A CHRISTIAN. I love the lord. I was baptized young in a Catholic church. Went thru my confirmation as well.
    That being said, I do not attend church services any longer, my home is my temple, I pray daily... My daughter prays as well.

I am still a Christian, I am no better nor no worse than anyone else. :D

In my daughters words....
    *I lub you jebus...Bery much!*:patriot:

RM

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom