• ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I agree with GNRPowdeR.

In a normal non-LEO/military situation there are too many legal disadvantages to having a weapon mounted light.

Just carry the light seperately. That way you won't have to point a loaded firearm at someone who you aren't legally justified to shoot (which is a felony) just to use your light.

I'd like to hear more about cases where a weapon-mounted light created a disadvantage to the defense of an otherwise "good shoot".

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Right now, no.

I recently bought a Surefire X300 for my Glock 19, and I'm waiting for my Raven Concealment holster for it to ship out.
    Once I get it, it's going to become my winter carry rig.

After doing a low light class, I found out that having a handheld light is EXTREMELY important. But also having a weapon mounted light makes shooting a LOT easier. It's hard shooting 1-handed.

I can conceal the setup easy in the winter. Summer I won't even bother with the weapon mounted light.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    It took me a while to learn how to shoot Glocks well enough to consistently put the bullets where I want them to go, and I'm not yet confident enough in my ability to be comfy.

Hanging a light on the end of a Glock also changes how it moves under recoil, and some will have FTF because of that. My 3rd gen Glock is much pickier with a light on but my forth gen never notices. I've never hung a light on any other pistol than Glocks, but that's been my experience.

Like I said earlier though, I don't like how it changes my grip and it feels awkward to work the light when its weapon mounted on a handgun as compared to a decent tail cap compact flashlight in the off hand.

On a self-defense pistol, I don't see much use in a mounted light. If you are on the offense, absolutely, but if you are on the offense switch to a long gun.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    A TLR-1 rides full time on my G17, which all sits comfortably in a Safariland holster (I've got a level 1 and a level III that'll accept it, the level III sees 99.5% usage).

I also carry a quality handheld white light completely independently, 100% of the time, even into the legislated gun free zones that the firearm cannot go into. Weaponlight does not replace it, as weapon light is specific task, handheld light is multi-role. One advantage is should handheld light have batteries die or LED failure I can remove the TLR1 and re-purpose the batteries, or just remove it and use it independently until I get back to where I can resupply.

With the size of the G17, adding a light, only meant waiting for the holster I wanted to come off of backorder, other than it's had little effect on comfort, as size and weight change are insignificant to me after already moving to the full size railed gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My Opinions (Redux)
    1. Anyone who has a light mounted on their firearm should also carry a handheld light.
    2. Anyone who carries a gun should carry a handheld light.
    3. Anyone who doesn't carry a gun should carry a handheld light.
    I think that covers my opinion and all the bases!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My Opinions (Redux)
    1. Anyone who has a light mounted on their firearm should also carry a handheld light.
    2. Anyone who carries a gun should carry a handheld light.
    3. Anyone who doesn't carry a gun should carry a handheld light.
    I think that covers my opinion and all the bases!

So..what you're saying is that everyone should carry a handheld light?

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I carry my Glock 30 with a TLR2s on occasion. I have a custom made IWB holster from Mills Tactical, works great. Plus I have put over 100 rounds through it with the light mounted, other than the discoloration of the top of the light, since it sticks out past the barrel, not a single issue.
    IF you do decide to carry with a light, make sure you put some rounds down range with it as well. Some guns will react differently/ fail with lights mounted.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I have a X300 on the PPQ I keep at home while the one I carry doesn't have a light on it. I do however have a holster for the PPQ with the X300 in case I want to carry it.

And yes I always carry a SureFire LX2.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Streamlight ProTac 2AA. Occasionally family members or friends ask me why I carry a light all the time. It is never too long before they find out why. Power goes out, looking for dropped objects in dark corners, short trips outside at night, etc.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I carry a separate light at all times...even at work where I can't have my gun. I have a fair amount of money in my carry light:

custom Malkoff M61 drop in LED @260 measured out the front Lumens
    Surefire 6P aluminum body/bezel (2 lithium batteries)
    custom OverReady/Moddoolar Triad Tail cap with McClicky switch & stainless pocket clip

Here is a shot of the light with my carry gun. I have since switched to an open top version of the holster but everything else is my current everyday carry:

500-summer-edc.jpg

High Rez version here:

http://lrpctech.com/pics/flash/summer-edc.jpg

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I agree with GNRPowdeR.

In a normal non-LEO/military situation there are too many legal disadvantages to having a weapon mounted light.

Just carry the light seperately. That way you won't have to point a loaded firearm at someone who you aren't legally justified to shoot (which is a felony) just to use your light.

I love it.................A man was shot today after dropping his keys and pulling his weapon/light to find them and was spotted by police! :laugh:

Top Bottom