• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I've been toying with the idea, but didn't know how many of you INGO guys keep a light on your carry weapons. Or if anyone had tried it and decided for or against it.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    No. I find it more of a PITA than its worth. I do carry a small flashlight, though.

I just don't care for a weapon mounted light on a handgun. I find it cumbersome to operate and don't like how my grip feels while manipulating the light. I feel better back of hand to back of hand with pistol/flashlight combo. On a long gun is a different story with the pressure pad handy to your support hand, but I'm not a fan on pistols.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would recommend training with one, or at least shooting with one, before investing in the light and a special holster.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    I don't carry with my light attached, but do like my TLR-3 on Springfield 1911. From what I've seen, you're pretty much limited to kydex holsters...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've done a couple times with my G17 with a TLR-1 mounted on it. The most recent time it was because I was going out after dark and I knew I'd be away from urban/suburban areas that are well lit.

I'm not comfortable doing it, but not because of the light/no light. The only guns I have with light rails are plastic guns. It took me a while to learn how to shoot Glocks well enough to consistently put the bullets where I want them to go, and I'm not yet confident enough in my ability to be comfy.

If I ever get a 1911 with a rail, I'll probably carry at least one with a light mounted.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I agree with GNRPowdeR.

In a normal non-LEO/military situation there are too many legal disadvantages to having a weapon mounted light.

Just carry the light seperately. That way you won't have to point a loaded firearm at someone who you aren't legally justified to shoot (which is a felony) just to use your light.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Is that standard/common for an officer to have a light on his side arm? (I've never had an officer pull a gun on me, so I don't know:):)

At IMPD most of the officers you see with lights on their guns work part of their shift at night, and you don't really see too many day shift officers with them. There are some exceptions but thats usually how it works out.

Top Bottom