• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Buddy and me went camping in CO just north of Rocky Mountain National Park, on a nice late June day. We found out that late June don't mean crap at 9k feet and it started to snow bowling balls from heaven. Literally 2 minutes from green to white everywhere.

We were on day 3 of our trip hiking, 3 days from the car. Young and not prepared, we were over burdened and quickly soaking wet. We invented (reinvented maybe) a new fire dance....Walked for hours and hours without even stopping for a break from fear we would never get up.

Fell in love with my car that day, frozen and feeling like death, my focus started on the first crank, and probably saved both my and my friends life.

We got some awesome pictures from that trip.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have you been or are you going back????

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was 5 weeks premie and not breathing when I was born in 1966, spent weeks in the hospital before they let my mom take me home..

Major car accident in 1989 in a 1980 Honda Civic, lady ran a redlight and I t-boned her. Concussion, major bruising etc. Wrecker drivers actually came to the hospital because they didnt believe the occupants of the car lived after seeing its condition..

Throat surgery in 2000, stopped breathing on the table when they tried to wake me after the surgery. That turned into the rumor i was dead, shocking my now wife when I popped up on her Instant Messenger and said "HI!: :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was 5 weeks premie and not breathing when I was born in 1966, spent weeks in the hospital before they let my mom take me home..

Major car accident in 1989 in a 1980 Honda Civic, lady ran a redlight and I t-boned her. Concussion, major bruising etc. Wrecker drivers actually came to the hospital because they didnt believe the occupants of the car lived after seeing its condition..

Throat surgery in 2000, stopped breathing on the table when they tried to wake me after the surgery. That turned into the rumor i was dead, shocking my now wife when I popped up on her Instant Messenger and said "HI!: :D

How many lives you got left. Looks like you have used a few. The Man (Upstairs) has your back.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Earlier 1990's on a Friday night in the early evening, I'm driving south on Capital Ave, across the St Joseph River, coming up on Linconway, getting ready to turn left. Stopped behind one car in the left turn lane.
    Looked up in the review mirror and noticed headlights rapidly approaching at a high speed. Thought, 'Oh, **it', and don't remember anything else until the firefighters were pulling me out of my car, a Geo/Chevy Nova.
    Couldn't see well (glasses had fallen off), but I saw there reflection on the passenger floor. While the firefighters are trying to put a collar on me, I reach down and grab my glasses. So much for the collar.
    Had a bad lacerations on the back of my head(bled like he**) and a bad seat belt bruise. I was VERY lucky (someone was watching out for me upstairs). My car not so lucky. The back in was pushed forward about 3 feet.
    I am a firm believer in seat belts. It could have been MUCH worse.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Of course one never knows just how close to death they have been, it may have been ready to tap you on the shoulder and you just walked away without ever even knowing it was there.

The closest I have been to death itself was watching the machinery that was keeping my mom alive being shut off. Being in the same room with it, knowing it was going to happen, is as bad as if it is happening to you. I never had the urge to just run away so bad in my life, and I mean literally run away.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Seat belt broke that was holding my car seat in, me and car seat were ejected and pined up under front tire (my body against the tire) keeping the car from rolling into a lake with my mom and brother in the car. Firefighters were searching the lake for me... Never cried...

Got stuck between the water bed and frame and turned blue.

By the grace of god avoided a very serious wreck a few years back...

Had a bad reaction to some meds years ago, doc at er said any longer and I probably would have suffocated or same if I would have taken full dose.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis in December 2010. Since that time I have had over 14 surgeries for different reasons and all with out an issue. Now my last surgery was on April 17, 2012 and it was the "1%" chance of something happening. While on the table under the anesthetic my blood pressure crashed 3 separate times. When I came to in the recovery room my wife was holding my hand and crying. I did not understand why until she told me what had happened. I then took a long look at my life and was greatful for what I have. now since then I have purchased a gun to do the Steel Matches since I have always wanted to do this and never mad time for it. Now that I know time is a precious thing I will never let it pass by again.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The closest I have been to death itself was watching the machinery that was keeping my mom alive being shut off. Being in the same room with it, knowing it was going to happen, is as bad as if it is happening to you. I never had the urge to just run away so bad in my life, and I mean literally run away.

I've been in the room when the plug has been pulled on one of my grandmas, I was with my other with she died,And I walked in on another when she was taking her last breath

( I have 4 grandmothers my mom's and dad's, moms and dads divorced and remarried. I have one left )

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earlier 1990's on a Friday night in the early evening, I'm driving south on Capital Ave, across the St Joseph River, coming up on Linconway, getting ready to turn left. Stopped behind one car in the left turn lane.
    Looked up in the review mirror and noticed headlights rapidly approaching at a high speed. Thought, 'Oh, **it', and don't remember anything else until the firefighters were pulling me out of my car, a Geo/Chevy Nova.
    Couldn't see well (glasses had fallen off), but I saw there reflection on the passenger floor. While the firefighters are trying to put a collar on me, I reach down and grab my glasses. So much for the collar.
    Had a bad lacerations on the back of my head(bled like he**) and a bad seat belt bruise. I was VERY lucky (someone was watching out for me upstairs). My car not so lucky. The back in was pushed forward about 3 feet.
    I am a firm believer in seat belts. It could have been MUCH worse.

I always hate sitting at that light in the left turn lane.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    1991 I was at the ABATE summer madness get together at the Illiana Speedway. I remember leaving on my sportster down rt30 then turning south onto Merrillville road. The next thing I know I am in a hospital bed the next day. They said if my head struck pavement I would be dead. I came pretty close hitting dirt. I looked like a racoon with my black eyes from going over the handle bars and hitting face first into a field. I don't remember a thing about the accident. Someone called police about it and wouldn't ID themselves. I am real lucky that wasn't my last ride.

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    4 years ago this august I was driving a loaded semi south on hwy 63 at 6:30 in the morning when a garbage truck pulled right out in front of me. I hit him so hard it knocked the bed off his truck and threw him from the cab. I did not have my seatbelt on and right before I hit I knew I was going to die. After the impact I thought wow that wasn't so bad. But I was still rolling and when I tried to steer I found out I had no control. The impact had broke the steering gearbox off the frame. All I got was a lump on the back of my hand and he got a trip to the hospital. We were both very lucky.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Of course one never knows just how close to death they have been, it may have been ready to tap you on the shoulder and you just walked away without ever even knowing it was there.

My mom worked as an RN in a private nursing home and watched people she became close to die, regularly.

Her response kinda caught me off guard when I asked about it.

She said watching all those people die was a privilege........as she got to see them take their first steps into Heaven.

Last edited:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Nothing as serious as all of the previous. I am only 18 after all. But there are two that stand out..

1) 14 years old. I was swimming in the "lazy-river" at Disney World. I got caught under a "traffic jam" of tubes in the river. I couldn't get out. I thought I was toast, but finally managed to knock a little kid out of the way.

2) 16 years old. I was on the roof of my house retrieving a ball for my little brothers, slipped, and landed on the back of my neck. Cracked a vertebrae down lower in my back, cracked collar bone, had some wicked whiplash and a concussion. I remember after I hit the ground, I couldn't breath. After I managed to start breathing, I laughed, and couldn't stop. It was weird. I finally stopped when they called 911. I guess I decided it wasn't a laughing matter any more. Doc said I was lucky I didn't snap my neck. End of sports career.

No Lot Lizards

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kenworth W900L
    One time back in '72 me and 3 friends went down south to canoe this river that was about to be dammed by the power company. We met some strange hillbillies and hit some wicked rapids. Only 3 of us made it home alive.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I will share my story:

On vacation in Hawaii, I went to the beach in Kona. It's a nice cove packed with families and kids, since it's one of only a few (believe it or not) public beaches on the big island. The ocean floor is not sand, it is volcanic, like coral almost. There is a life guard on duty up in his chair, and dozens of kids with boogie boards. We had been to this beach ten years ago on our honeymoon, and saw turtles, and snorkeled for hours in its calm waters.

Instead of being calm though, the ways were splashing all around. I watched four-year olds go out and boogie board in the shallow water. I walked into the ocean, jumping or diving into the waves as they came, and stopped when I got to where the water was about 5ft deep. There were four boys on boogie boards near me, when I said "Here comes a big one!" I noticed the boarders paid quicker attention.

I suppose it could be just because they wanted to ride the wave, but I've always thought that I saw fear in their eyes at that moment--but I didn't really have any time to process that. The huge wave was upon me, and I could see the white breakers straight over my head!

It was bad timing, plain and simple. There really was no diving under this wave, or jumping, and floating over it,. When it hit my face, my body immediately was upside down, spinning, and I held my breath tight. I felt like a rag doll, and could do nothing, so I curled into the fetal position, an act that may have saved my life.

Then the worst imaginable thing happens, my shoulder and head impacts the volcanic rock so hard that it almost knocks me unconscious, and things went black for about 5 seconds (partly from the hit, partly from the sediment behind the wave darkening the sun out)...

Right now, I'm thinking, "There is about a 50/50 chance that I will never return to the surface!" I had just been thrown into the solid volcano rock with hundreds, maybe thousands of pounds of force. Luckily, my shoulder took 75% of the hit, and my head only got maybe 25%. I knew instantly that I was injured, but I feared losing consciousness more than being hurt.

I opened my eyes, and I could see the light on the surface, so I started swimming to it. It was like I was at the bottom of 12ft of water now, because it took me four big swim strokes to reach the top, but my injured arm surely wasn't much help.

I walked out of the ocean exhausted, and in shock. My left arm sagged, and there was the sharpest of pains if I moved it, and my head was bruised. I grabbed my left arm and carried it, limping to the towel, noticing the life guard sitting in his chair carefree. I was injured badly in my shoulder, where the bone had split by two inches. I always wondered how all those kids were safe, with waves that powerful. I must've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    One time back in '72 me and 3 friends went down south to canoe this river that was about to be dammed by the power company. We met some strange hillbillies and hit some wicked rapids. Only 3 of us made it home alive.

Were you one of them?

Btw, thanks fer leaving me there with my arm all stuck up behind my head.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    March 20 1983- Atlantic side of Panama near Ft Gulick. Live fire night infiltration exercise. Raining sideways all night long. I am packing a 22LBS M60 MMG along with 300 rounds of belted boxed 7.62 ammo, my large and very full ALICE pack and my LBE consisting of a 1911,2 one quart canteens, first aid pouch and a Gerber MK II knife. We are moving along the very steep and muddy side of the Chagres River wearing NOD's. I lost my footing sliding down a thirty foot embankment and into the river with its 20'+ deep flowing and very muddy water. Being unable to kick off the bottom that I was so very firmly planted to I started cutting off my junk. I was fast running out of air with that panicky feeling wanting to take over. I sliced my hand open with my own knife in the process but was able to get clear of my load and surface. The four guys in my squad said I was down for two plus minutes. I though it was two hours. After repeated attempts by divers they were enable to recover my equipment.

September 10 1985- JOTC Panama. Night flight operations with 2 UH-1 Huey's. Operating under tactical (No Light) conditions we had two UH-1's taking 2 groups of eight each flights to a insertion point a few miles away. They would come in and pick up the guys, fly them to the insertion point to drop them off and then turn around and do it again. I was on the third flight. Run up to the chopper to board when its our turn and find out someone extra was there. I decide to wait for the next flight. A hour or so later command tells us while landing the two UH-1's somehow got together causing a fiery crash with no survivors. I should have been on the stick!!

I don't care much for helicopters anymore!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom