• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Anyone, anyone step right up tell us your near death or moments when you thought you were going to die. Here is mine

This happened in 2007

So we were babysitting a dog and it was bored so it was trying to get a bone. I went got it a bone and gave it to it. Well the dog decided to bite the hand or face in this instance that feed it. I got a bite to the my tear on my left eye. I got up ( Adrenaline or whatever was numbing the pain is a very good anesthetic ) and walked into the kitchen where my sister was making brownies, well she saw my face and screamed. I walked into the bathroom and looked into the mirror, My face was covered in blood and there was a giant bite mark on my face(this is where I started to freak out). We went to the doctor and we found out this. If it would have been a little bit lower and alittle bit deeper we are talking half a centimeter. It would have killed me.(Major vein or something I don't know ) But we still ended up saving sight in that eye ( Thank god for reconstruction surgery ) and it looks normal save for a few scars.

I know thats not the most exciting tale, but thats why I have you guys. Right?

Last edited:

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Glad you're alive buddy.... there's a reason you are. Thank whoever for that and tomorrow shoot guns and meet women. Do what you do best and get yourself out of your comfort zone. kick dogs if you must

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I was working in a small town in Illinois after graduating from college. I had an ear infection and the local doctor gave me a shot of ampicillin in his office. My heart stopped due to anaphylactic shock--I was allergic to penicillin. The doctor got my heart started again with a defibrillator and a shot of benedryl. I was pretty much fine the next day.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I'm not a strong swimmer, but that didn't stop my from hitting up the wave pool at Holiday World several years ago. Got caught up in the fun, went too far into the deep end and got knocked over. Every time I would try and get back up, another wave would come in and knock me over. I don't know how long it lasted, but I finally just shot my hand straight up and accepted the fact that this is going to REALLY suck unless someone sees me.
    I heard a loud buzzer, then felt somebody grab my waist. Another swimmer pulled me up and held me above the water until the life guards got there (She was smoking hot!). Yeah, needless to say I don't swim anymore. I couldn't go to sleep for a couple of weeks without feeling like my body was being tossed around by the waves all over again.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I was white-water rafting on the Lower Youghiogheny, and fell out at the top of Dimple Rock. I swam the rest of the rapid pretty much underwater, and was at the point of no strength left, ready to commend my soul to the deep, when I hit an eddy and managed to cough it out.

I didn't raft for about 15 years after that, until I finally took a white-knuckle trip down Six Mile Creek in Alaska, just to prove to myself that I could.

I've also been covered by guns in the hands of careless shooters several times, each more terrifying than the last.

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    When I was around 10, I almost drowned. We had had a lot of rain that year and the little park next to the apartments where I grew up was flooded. Some bullies had taken a little kids bike and thrown it in the deepest part of it, which was right next to a large drain pipe. I hopped down into the water, which as I recall was up to my chest, and pulled the kids bike out. As I was climbing out of the water, I slipped and got sucked feet first into the drain pipe. Luckily, my arms were out and the edge of the pipe caught on my underarms. I was able to pull myself out and finally get out of the water.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have more than one.

Three years ago this month I was helping a friend paint her window frames. It was early in the day and I was drinking a NOS Energy drink, my first and last, when all of a sudden I get a weird feeling in my chest and a sudden urge to get the heck out of there. I told my friend I needed to go to the ER and she thought I was kidding at first but we are both nurses and she suddenly saw that I looked sorta grayish. Went to the ER where they swore I wasn't having a heart attack even though I insisted that I was. Three days later I had a 5 vessel bypass surgery. Felt better for about a month and then it happened again. One of the vessels collapsed and back to the ER I went! This time they believed me and I had a stent placed that afternoon. It's been a long slow road back since then and I've had a few other problems but I'm making it day to day.

Another one is when I was leaving a friend's auto shop south of Bloomington on 37. I was sitting at the light and it turned green so I looked both ways and started to cross the road when I saw a blur out of the corner of my eye and a streak in my rear view mirror. A pick up truck flying down 37 had run the light and just missed hitting my Audi! A few feet the other direction and he would have hit me right in my door and I would have been toast!

There are a few close calls as a kid but these are the closet I've come to death I suppose.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My dad was digging in a sandy hill at a campground as a kid. They had caves dug out and everything from prior visitors. He was back 10-15 feet when the entire hillside collapsed. He was doubled over with an air pocket by his abdomen fortunately. The whole campground came running to help dig out, my grandfather collapsed from exhaustion digging so hard. Eventually they got to him and he was OK but he's not a big fan of being in caves or us digging in sand since. Scary stuff.

My own personal sortof one was some moron running a red light downtown. It was after Phantom at Clowes, right in front of Methodist. Light turns green, I gun it as teenagers do without looking, and a car zips just behind my rear bumper flying through the hard red. Ugh.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Tumbled out of a small plane recently. Falling straight down towards farmland thinking, now I'll never get to join MCF&G range, followed by my whole life (insurance policy) running thru my brain. Did I make that last payment. Who will hear, and what will be my last words besides "oh sh*t" or "ouch." What would McGuiver do. Then the chute opened.

Last edited:

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    In 98 I was in a bad wreck, and I thought it was over. I was hauling a load of cement block into Monticello, and a lady coming towards me was trying to turn across my lane. It was on a curve, and another semi, came around the curve and did not see her stopped until the last second. When he locked it up, his cab started hopping, and his trailer started over in my lane. I only had a second to react. I (maybe) could have swerved left, and missed the semi, but would have killed the lady on the car, so I swerved to the right until the gravel flew, but we hit head on anyway.
    I just thought...This is it.
    It tore his cab clear off, and my truck went off the road, because I was trying to go that way any way. I hit the embankment, and both front wheels tore off my Kenworth, snapped off the fuel tanks (Which I just filled). Hitting the ground I stopped immediately, which was worse than getting hit by the truck.
    I blacked out a minute, and woke to people screaming "get him out". I thought they were talking about the other driver, but they were talking about me.
    I had a mouth full of glass when I came to, and smelled diesel fuel real bad. I realized I did not want to be in here if this thing flares up, so I crawled out the passenger side window, and stepped out onto the ground. There was so much sod pushed up I could not see over the hood.They found his wallet in my seat afterward....kind of weird.
    I only need two stiches in my forearm at the scene, from the door handle. Looked like hamburger for a few weeks on my left side, with some cracked ribs, but glad to be here.
    We both should not have made it out of those trucks....Took me a long time to come to an understanding with that.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I was run over by a tanker truck. There was a long left turn lane I was riding in, preparing to turn left, when the tanker truck on my right decided he needed to be there.

End result, massive bleeding in my brain, collapsed lung, destroyed nerve in my right arm. There's a 3 day period I have no recollection of.

If it weren't for the lid, I'd be dead fore sure.

I've had a few close calls on the racetrack that could've ended badly, but the tanker truck accident is about as close as I've been.

CIMG0282.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I had a pretty bad Pulmonary Embolism (blood clot in the right lung) that damn near kilt me.

Spent the first 2 weeks of the new year '11 in the hospital. (5 day's in ICU) Still taking anticoagulants to this day.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    In Winchester, a suburb north of Boston, late for the morning train in to the city, opted to walk the tracks. Made good time, nearly to the main platform when I heard the train coming. Planned to stand and watch it go by, at the last second I decided to jump up for a better view. That's when I realized it would have killed me if I hadn't moved. The conductor yelled at me, asked if I wanted to be killed. No death wish, I was just young and stupid and lucky.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    One night last year I woke up at the dining room table (fall asleep internetting sometimes) and felt like total crap. It wasn't my usual low feeling, but I checked my sugar to make sure, and it was 38, right on the border of a coma that a lot of people don't come out of. There was no prospect of help for several hours, as my son had gone to bed already. Got the first sugar I could grab into me as fast as I could. I've only been low a couple of times since, but not like that. Sugar is actually pretty much stable now.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    my wife farted this one time. puffed the blanket up and actually woke her up rippin it..... thought i was gonna die then :D

jake

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I used to work at a metal shop. One day I was lifting a 5 foot wide 5 ton coil of rolled sheet metal with an over head crane. The strap that was holding the coil snapped and the coil fell from about 10 feet up. On the way down it clipped another coil that was under it and flipped it my way. I tried running and my feet tripped over one another trying to get away. I fell to the ground and the coil stopped less than 2 feet from me.
    I never trusted the straps after that.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Almost 10 years ago was hit by a semi that had run a red light at 45 mph. The semi hit my side (the drivers side) of my F150, which then hit us into a second semi head on (we were the meat in a semi sandwich :D). It took the local fire department about 25 minutes to extricate us (they had just put into service their new Hurst extrication tools and we were their first auto accident pin that they used them on :rockwoot:). My wife and I were then air lifted to a Trauma Center (my first and only helicopter ride and I don't remember it :n00b:). I received a nice head injury, a broken sternum, broken ribs, and my left leg was broken. My wife had 3 crushed disk in her neck, broken ribs, and a head injury. The last memory I have of that night was walking out of the restaurant, no memory of getting into our truck or driving it, and no memory of the accident. For the better part of the next month I only have foggy memories. I do remember in one of the appts with the trauma doc her saying that the only times they see injuries that I had are on dead people (the force that it takes to break the sternum and then the ribs in my back will usually tear out the aorta from the heart as the force travels through the chest).

My wife and I now live with permanent pain that will never get better all because of one truck driver who decided to not stop at a light.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    One Thursday back around the turn of the century they did heart cath on me to insert some coronary stents. Took me to CCU afterwards. I "went to sleep". They wouldn't let my wife in to see me. Finally woke up Saturday. Later I asked them WTH happened to Friday and they said a coronary artery was punctured during the cath procedure. If I had died it would have been their fault but you can bet my next of kin would not have known that.

Top Bottom