• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm looking at getting a netbook specifically for writing. I'm particularly interested in long battery life (7+ hours), 10" screen, and a comfortable keyboard. Since Apple won't make a netbook because they're too snooty for that market, it'll have to be a WinDoze machine (I'm not going to Hackintosh, no patience for it).

So far, the best reviews I've read are about the Toshiba NB205 series. I'm intrigued by the Samsung Go, and one other model that escapes me at the moment, but I'm not going to pay for the cellular data access. The EEE PC variants all seem to have spotty QC, and once again, no patience. But I'm interested in comments from actual owners of any models.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I own an ASUS eee series, and it works fine as a coffee table or truck computer. The downfall I see for using to write is that tiny keyboards suck to use even when you're just emailing someone, let alone "writing"
    At the very least I would couple it with an nice full sized keyboard. :twocents:

-Andy

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have an Acer Aspire1 751H. It has an 11.6" screen. With the default 4 cell battery I get between three and four hours battery life running linux. My dad has a similar model and running vista he reports a pretty solid four hours. They also have either a 6 or 8 cell battery which approximately doubles the battery life. I like that the 751h has a near (I'd say 98%) full size keyboard, with the \ key in the right place, and a full sized right shift key. Also this is one of the few netbooks that provides a 1366x768 resolution. For me the two most important factors in a portable computer are #1 the keyboard MUST be laid out correcty. and #2 the screen must be functional for my use of the machine (typically 4 our more terminal windows open)

I don't think If I was going to do it again that i'd buy the same device. Primarily because my OS of choice isn't windows. and the Intel GMA500 isn't supported hardly at all outside of Windows.

A 15.4" Mac Book Pro --> 11.6" Acer Aspire1 751h --> Dell Vostro A90 (aka Mini-9)
    czf.jpg

The Mini-9 isn't only awful, but God Awful. the '" key isn't left of the right shift, but rather two keys right of the space bar..... The Mini-10 seems to have corrected this, which makes it a SOLID contender in my book.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Been looking at the Dell Mini-10 myself, with the extended battery. I can't see myself going any smaller. Might even step up to a regular, small laptop for a small price bump. The Dell Inspiron 11z is about the same price for more performance, weighs less than 1/2 LB more, and can be had with a 6-cell battery (6 rs runtime).

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I bought my Samsung NC-10 a year ago because of its keyboard, user upgraxeable memory, 160GB hard drive, 6 cell battery and built in Bluetooth. I have not looked recently to see what other manufacturers have, but it works well and the 6 cell battery lasts at least 5 hours even with wireless network and bluetooth enabled.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Picked up one of the Acer AspireOne 10" netbooks that everyone was selling on Black Friday for my daughter. I got the floor model, which they took another 50% off for me, so it was dirt-freaking-cheap. 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, 1.2 Ghz Atom processor. Promptly installed Windows 7 on it and the thing runs like butter. I'm thinking of keeping it for myself :D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have an ASUS eee series that I use mostly for internet surfing. I paid $289 and it runs well. The keyboard is a little small... but I love how small this computer is. I take it places that I'd never take a full sized laptop.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    I am using my asus eee now, for writing, it would suck, key board too small.
    messing around on the net / storing repair manuals on, OK.

for my application the solid state memory was a big plus.

john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    Buy.com has refurbished Dell D620's they are $300ish. I've been using one for 3 years now and they are built like tanks. With an extended battery I get 4 hours, its still 4 pounds but its a really computer that can handle more than just surfing and a little word processing.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the suggestion, but if I decide to go up from netbook to notebook (which is beginning to look more likely), I'll probably just save the money and get a 13" Macbook Pro.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks for the suggestion, but if I decide to go up from netbook to notebook (which is beginning to look more likely), I'll probably just save the money and get a 13" Macbook Pro.

We have one user at work who's on a 13" Mac Book Pro. He moved to that from a Uni-Body 15.4" MBP and LOVES it.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Bought an Acer Aspire One for my wife, she LOVES it ( dainty hands ). I however can't type on it worth a crap - the keyboard is far too small for me.

Normally I type upwards 90+ WPM on my MacBook Pro, on that thing ~40 WPM.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    13" Macbook Pro FTW. I don't have the new "Pro" model, but my 13" Alum is really the smallest I would consider. It is an awesome machine.

Now entering Day 3 with a browser window open on the configuration screen at the Apple Store...

Yes, it takes me a while to make these decisions. ;)

Top Bottom