• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP69SZDwbjw]YouTube - Brownells - Lewis Lead Remover[/ame]

It's called a Lewis Lead Remover kit.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had seen a place that was mail order I believe that sold brushes in lots of 10 or higher that were really cheap. I'm thinking it was Sinclairs but can't remember for sure. I was at their store once. Wasn't much of a storefront. Geared more towards mail order.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I've seen a lot of discussions on this product and they all seem to end the same way. A good bore brush and a bunch of elbow grease is what is usually required for a good result. Problem is, if you're getting enough lead in your bore that you need special tools to remove it, you have other problems that your money would be better spent on trying to cure.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A bore brush and something I will swear by. Brownells Stainless Steal Sponge.

STAINLESS STEEL SPONGE at Brownells=

It comes with two sponges and I tore off a piece and wrapped it around the brush to help scrub out a sewer pipe barrel on a Mosin. Want to be a hero with your girlfriend? It also cleans up a curling iron in less than 10 seconds.

Here is what a poster on another forum wrote:

For removing lead this is the best and fastest I have ever found. It will not remove blueing, therefore it is non abrasive.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I take a .410 gauge shotgun bore swab and wrap it in medium grit Bronze Wool I got from Brownells. The Bronze is soft enough that it won't harm the steel barrel, but coarse enough that it takes the lead right out of the barrel. The bronze wool will last forever since it hardly ever gets clogged with lead it's pulled from the barrel. I've cleaned mine and others' guns about 15-20 times with the same strands of it.

Bronze Wool
    DSC01155.jpg

.410 shotgun bore swap wrapped in Bronze Wool
    DSC01157.jpg

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I have the Lewis Lead Remover kit for .44 and .38/.357. Is it great for very heavy leading, but for average leading a stainless bore brush and Kleen Bore Lead Away patches does the job. The Lewis Lead Remover kit does have a cone shaped devise that removes the lead from the forcing cone rather nice...

Corky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    I do the same thing as Hoosier8 but I use a Chore Boy Copper Scrubber.
    You can find them at the grocery store for two or three dollars a box.
    Wrap a couple of strands around a bore brush. Works like a champ.

Jeff

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I own and have used this remover and it does an excellent job. The aforementioned methods of using Choreboy wrapped around a bore brush or mop also works well. The Lewis remover has the conical attachment that is basically all I use anymore as I don't get much leading.

That Brownells stainless sponge is a rip-off IMO since you can buy stainless sink scrubbers at the grocery store for under $2. I use copper anyway and it does a great job.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I have these very special lead removing tools. They look a whole lot like full power loads with jacketed bullets, but, the guy I bought them from says they're special. You just load up the gun and act like your shooting full power loads with jacketed bullets. Of course, if they were just full power loads with jacked bullets, I would have been ripped off, but, of course, they're not, right?

It sure is a whole lot more fun than pulling a rod with a piece of brass screen through your barrel. It doesn't, however, do anything for the cylinders.

I've been told mercury works good too.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use the copper or bronze Chor-Boy pads when I need to clean lead which is not often. Watching speeds and sizing bullets larger that bore keeps leading away. When I want high power loads I use gas checks.:)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom