• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Thats one. If your rear leaf springs arent bad or sagging alot, you could also use the add a leaf kit instead to save a few hundred bucks 4.5" XJ Suspension System J8/J9

Add a leaf is junk, avoid it totally

They will quickly wear out your stock springs, just buy the full leaf kit.

But hey guys,

my XJ isn't spitting cleaning fluid for the wipers anymore. When I try to use that function the wipers move back and forth but no liquid is put on the windshield for them to wipe around

How do I diagnose the problem?

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    How cold is it by you? Very possible its frozen if its not winter blend fluid. Had a sprayer pump go bad in the wifes XJ. You can have someone hit the sprayers while you feel/listen to the pump to see if its working

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    How my black ZJ was sitting by the end of the day :(

IMAG0656.jpg

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Caleb, 3" and 31"s is about as high as you can go without getting into a lot of other expenses. Aside from the kit and tires, I had to buy a piece of 1" square tubing to drop the T-case. Extended bump stops would be wise, but I never disconnected my sway bars, so I never really had any issues. But that's it.

At 4-1/2" and 33"s, you'll be adding a lot of expense...

A long arm kit IMO is necessary if you want any flex. The stock arms will be at/near full drop and then you have only compression - and that is limited very much by the fenders, so they will need to be cut. Long arms are needed to restore some flex. 33" tires are going to need new wider wheels (unless you go skinny) with less backspacing - I rub the control arms with 31"s a little. 33"s would limit your turning radius quite a bit. Less backspacing means more hitting the fenders (31"s on the stock rims tuck quite nicely). Then you'll need bump stops. Next up is the driveline - a new rear shaft with CV and SYE will be needed. The stock 3.55:1 gears in the axles still do OK with 31"s, but top speed on the highway is a bit of a problem. With my very light trailer I can't go any faster than 60mph without dropping out of O/D. I would go with 4.10 gears with the 33"s, so that's another expense, and installation costs as much as the gears or more. Since you're pulling the gears anyway, think hard about a selectable locker in the rear at least to maintain street manners. And be very careful driving in snow with a front locker. Extended brake lines, if not in the kit - the stock lines *barely* made it with my 3" lift. Steering and therefore track bar angle will need to be addressed, and you need to seriously consider beefing up the steering box mount and, drag link, and tie rod. The stock steering stabilizer isn't even up to the task of the stock tires, so upgrade that for sure. If you don't have a gas tank skid plate -- most don't -- start there, and then thing about doing the TC/Tranny next. Mine is from Skid Row and I like it a lot. I have a hidden style Curt hitch and I had to modify the tank skid to fit the hitch, but I lose very minimal ground clearance, and it also gives me a solid rear tow point, so I highly recommend that. I don't know if you're planning on a winch, but front tow hook brackets and tow hooks are needed too. I think mine are from Rusty's, but get the ones that extend back.

P.S. get ready for the alignment guy to (*^&&%$# when you take it in for an alignment the first time. And don't forget to adjust the headlights.

Last edited:

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I run a 4.5" short arm lift on my wifes with 31s. No sye. Flexes just fine for an XJ, especially if you are just doing moderate wheeling. The only alignment adjustments that can be made on these Jeeps is toe and steer ahead. Toe can easily be set by you with a tape measure and a helper. Steer ahead is done with just a helper watching the steering wheel while you adjust until it is straight. The kit also came with a tcase drop bracket.

The rubicon express kit definitely comes with a few more items like sway bar disco's, upper control arms, and extended lines. If you can afford it, go for it

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I run a 4.5" short arm lift on my wifes with 31s. No sye. Flexes just fine for an XJ, especially if you are just doing moderate wheeling. The only alignment adjustments that can be made on these Jeeps is toe and steer ahead. Toe can easily be set by you with a tape measure and a helper. Steer ahead is done with just a helper watching the steering wheel while you adjust until it is straight. The kit also came with a tcase drop bracket.

The rubicon express kit definitely comes with a few more items like sway bar disco's, upper control arms, and extended lines. If you can afford it, go for it

Thought about going zone offroad and make my own long arm setup...no extended lines on the zone offroad?

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    That's just a Z

'cause all the J has been removed! :)

Lol, never thought of it that way! Only thing left on it are the steel lines for the front brakes (already rusted far enough that Id just make new ones if i need em), the gauge cluster (speedo doesnt work and theres an electrical issue with the lights in it), the seats (front are tore up, rear is in good shape if anyone needs a tan leather ZJ rear seat), a little bit of wiring, and some busted tail lights. Even decided to rip the bumpstops off after this pic, just in case lol. Pulled EVERYTHING else off that was still there. Now just gotta find a place to store it all.

Got the front end of the new one tore apart and started going back together with the lift stuff, rugged ridge steering, and IRO track bar. But ended up getting a headache that was bad enough I got nauseous. So I had to stop. Between working two jobs and now needing to work on my wifes XJ (hood latch broke for the 4th time, getting hood pins now whether she likes it or not, and has a clunk in the rear), it prolly wont get much done till next weekend. Need to get it wheelable by a feb 9th for a trip though, hope I get enough garage time!

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thought about going zone offroad and make my own long arm setup...no extended lines on the zone offroad?

Doesnt look like it comes with extended lines. You can get em for about $90. If you are gonna go long arm though, you would probably need ones longer than that kit would offer anyway, as you should get a lot more downtravel. If you buy a kit to get you going for now, and then go long arms later, the IRO upgrade kit isnt too expensive. Have 2 friends who run them (one on an XJ, one a WJ). Both are pretty happy with it.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: XJ Critical Path Long Arm Upgrade

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Doesnt look like it comes with extended lines. You can get em for about $90. If you are gonna go long arm though, you would probably need ones longer than that kit would offer anyway, as you should get a lot more downtravel. If you buy a kit to get you going for now, and then go long arms later, the IRO upgrade kit isnt too expensive. Have 2 friends who run them (one on an XJ, one a WJ). Both are pretty happy with it.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: XJ Critical Path Long Arm Upgrade

$600 isn't too expensive? Must be the noob in me, I'd rather build my set for less and still be proud of my handy work.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks mikedippert. Thats a lot closer to home. I have someone to install the suspension now but this is the first of many things. Thanks for the tip. Hoping to hit Badlands in Feb. Emptypockets is hosting a ride.

Top Bottom