• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm tempted to have the dealer take a look at my jeep before I buy anything. It looks like a manifold is going to run around $500, and I want to make sure I'm right that this is the culprit.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Woohoo! Progress!

You got more Jeep work done than I did this weekend. I just shuffled parts around the bench and stared at them.

One small bit at a time. Hopefully posting in here will keep me a little more accountable and this thread needs to be livened up with more pics. If your posts in this thread are a good indicator, your CJ has been on jackstands for a couple years. Its time to put some axles on that thing.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Dang! You done a lot already.

I'm getting there. If I didn't have to go to work I'd get more done. a couple things I forgot on the gear changing: a bearing puller is handy. I think a shop press is handy too. At least I'm gonna find out. I intend to pull the old bearings and relieve some material from the inside to make setup bearings. This way I can change shims around without pressing my final bearings on and off.

Also, when I checked backlash and preload on my axle before I pulled it apart, they were both pretty loose. So probably not set up just right the last time. I'll try to be a bit more precise this time around.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm tempted to have the dealer take a look at my jeep before I buy anything. It looks like a manifold is going to run around $500, and I want to make sure I'm right that this is the culprit.

Even if it isn't your main issue, a cracked manifold is probably not a good thing. Having a pro look at it doesn't hurt either. are you looking at new aftermarket manifolds or junkyard manifolds?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I bought a lifted 99WJ last fall for a winter beater. Ended up killing the motor in freezing winter morning. That year 4.0 is different from earlier years, and only found one on CL. $1300 Lat r it was in and has been a better motor than the one that died. (That was a 97 TJ motor with issues) here's a video of making recovery tabs for the front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDO43JO8G4 I'll have to get a picture up later

That's a pretty cool little mill you've got.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been reading about the Banks manifold. They say they have solved the issue with cracking. But what I like is their lifetime warranty and no ask question replacement guarantee.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You may want to reconsider Jeep ownership then. You should take Jackson's offer while it's still on the table. :twocents:

I've been driving a jeep everyday for 10 years now. :)

And I say I hate noises because since I have spent good money on a quality suspension, it doesn't make ANY noise. If it makes a noise, then something is wrong because it's not suppose to.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

And I say I hate noises because since I have spent good money on a quality suspension, it doesn't make ANY noise. If it makes a noise, then something is wrong because it's not suppose to.

He means a real Jeep. You should get a CJ just for fun.

Actually, it seems like the CJ's are dying and rusting in to the ground. I don't see too many of them anymore. I think a TJ or a JK would be cool but I really love the look and feel of a CJ. The plastic dash and warm, cozy surroundings of the new Jeeps just don't feel right. I'd love to get in an even older jeep like a 2A or even an MB, but I don't have the time, space, or cash for such a project.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

Hope you haven't bought new manifolds yet. It'll take some digging, but I have a used set from an 04 4.0 in the garage somewhere. I thought mine were cracked, turnout out I just had some bolts loose on the collector underneighth. Wish I would have checked that before I took the manifolds out and replaced the gasket.

I certainly won't charge you $100. I could even trade for some ammo.... :)

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Wife had me order the tube fenders for my yj this weekend for father's day because she didn't want to order the wrong ones :rockwoot:.............I mean...man I hope I get some tube fenders for father's day .:dunno:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Took me longer than planned to make setup bearings from the old bearings and get all the parts really cleaned up the way I like. Plan to set up gears tonight or tomorrow morning. If I didnt have to work I'd have a lot more time for all this. I'll probably post more pics this evening of whatever I accomplish today.

I still need a brake caliper bracket from a mid 80's CJ dana 30 if anyone has any ideas. I e-mailed a couple jeep junk yards and a guy on Craigslist who has a bunch of axles. I have received no responses yet.

Top Bottom