• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nightgaunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Rural St Joe County
    If you guys are looking for inexpensive/cheap LED light bars and pods, check out Ebay. Tons of options for outputs and lengths. I got a pair of 18W 6 cree LED lights for around $60 shipped, and mounted them on the bumper where the stock TJ driving lights were. Tapped into the existing wiring and can use the factory driving light switch. Extremely bright (rated 1800 lumens, but prob less than that), lower amperage, and waterproof so far though rain storms. No, they are not Rigid Industries, but they are not in that price range. I know you get what you pay for a lot of the time, but it's a good cheap way to see if you want to run LED aux lights. I will prob switch all my roof rack mounted lights to LED sometime in the future.
    (don't mind the dead mouse...)

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    1800 lumens is about what a single 100 watt incandescent light bulb puts out. Not that much really compared to what I'd be expecting from aux lighting.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    jeeprear.jpg

nightgaunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Rural St Joe County
    1800 lumens is about what a single 100 watt incandescent light bulb puts out. Not that much really compared to what I'd be expecting from aux lighting.

I gotta say, though, the lights do really throw (each @ 1800lm). Much brighter than the high beams, and has a nice pattern. I have some 55W incandescent lights on the rack, and they are anemic and pale yellow when all of them are on together.

BTW, that's a kickass XJ you have. I have some leftover parts from mine, including a mopar front skid.

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I gotta say, though, the lights do really throw (each @ 1800lm). Much brighter than the high beams, and has a nice pattern. I have some 55W incandescent lights on the rack, and they are anemic and pale yellow when all of them are on together.

BTW, that's a kickass XJ you have. I have some leftover parts from mine, including a mopar front skid.

I've checked out the china made LED bars (42"-52") on Ebay which run for a good price. I've considered it. Thanks for the XJ compliment. Getting it built up how I want has been a slow process. Skid plates for front and gas tank are certainly on the list.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

You have to keep in mind, LEDs would use less wattage per the same amount of lumens.

So for using the 100w only with LEDs, you can multiply your output at least 4 times if not more.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Or you can build one using sst90's led which puts out 1500 lumens per led.

Homebrew led fixtures will always out power any off the shelf unit.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    You have to keep in mind, LEDs would use less wattage per the same amount of lumens.

So for using the 100w only with LEDs, you can multiply your output at least 4 times if not more.

True, LED's use less wattage to output more lumens. Lumens are lumens though, so where you have a 100W incandescent to output 1800 lumens, you'll see an 18W LED (in this instance) putting out 1800 lumens as well. So his 2 led pods in the front total 36W equaling 3600 lumens....same as 2 100W incandescents roughly. LEDs are great at conserving energy and can put out higher Kelvin with less heat. They're more expensive to make though so to get good LEDs it's gonna cost you.

I understand that a light bulbs total lumens output isn't necessarily a directed source where the LEDs in this application are. I've read that the efficacy of a good LED is around 40 lumens per watt. I find it hard to believe that the LED bars on eBay claim to output 25,000 lumens.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Some LEDs can output 80 lumens per watt. Cree XM-L outputs 850-ish lumens at 10watts at 3amp iirc.

I can believe the 25k claim, xm-l puts out 850 lumens at 10 watts....25,000 divided by 850 lumens is 30-32 LEDs, 30 LEDs at 10 watts a piece is 300 watts as claimed.

Totally possible.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Some LEDs can output 80 lumens per watt. Cree XM-L outputs 850-ish lumens at 10watts at 3amp iirc.

I can believe the 25k claim, xm-l puts out 850 lumens at 10 watts....25,000 divided by 850 lumens is 30-32 LEDs, 30 LEDs at 10 watts a piece is 300 watts as claimed.

Totally possible.

LED Lighting: Getting It Right - LED Lighting Explained

Sample LED light bar: 53inch 300W 25000LM CREE LED Work Light Bar Flood Offroad SUV Boat Jeep Curved | eBay

The LEDs are 3W/pc with 98-100 total LEDs giving the total wattage of 300W as listed. At best it's putting out around 11760-12000 lumens. Maybe even up to 15,900 LX. 25,000? Show me the math.

EDIT: Just read up on CREE and how that company has pushed 200 LX/W from their LEDs. So I stand corrected...as long as it's a CREE and not a chinese knock off.

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You'd also have to realize LEDs like the Cree xm-l can be ran with 350mA all the way to 3amps, the sst-90 can be pushed up to 9 amps.

Lot of the cheaper ones are probably running more LEDs(as you pointed out) at lower current to reduce probability of any possible failure.

If you crank up the current, its going to be stupid bright.

Just anybody who went to bogwood meet and greet couple years ago about my big red triple Cree xm-l 4D maglight. Pushing 3amps per LEDs put out at least 800 lumens, times three equals 2400 lumens.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Beer, brats and a POS D30 to debug...............that's my weekend.
    Picked up some noise about a wk ago at 50 MPH.
    Now it has hand numbing buzz at 40 (before was just noise).

Think my cardan is funky, and or something in the D30. I'll either get it figured out or get fat and drunk trying to :)

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Beer, brats and a POS D30 to debug...............that's my weekend.
    Picked up some noise about a wk ago at 50 MPH.
    Now it has hand numbing buzz at 40 (before was just noise).

Think my cardan is funky, and or something in the D30. I'll either get it figured out or get fat and drunk trying to :)

Picked up a double cardan at the junk yard couple weeks ago in prep for a forth coming SLE. Was $15.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I am currently trying to get all the small stuff fixed on the new jeep. Have replaced both front axle ujoints, one wheel bearing, and track bar. Being in a rush when I did one side I forgot to check that wheel bearing and turns out it has some play so I will be replacing it as well as the left outer tie rod end. Need to remove the lift blocks in the rear and install the add a leaf and new shocks. Picking up a lock rite for the front tomorrow I believe and getting tires mounted Monday morning. Hopefully be making a trip to the badlands soon.

Top Bottom