• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Wife wants to carry something with a smaller grip than a double stack 9mm, so I'm looking for a single stack 9mm she can wrap her hands around. I'm looking at the Taurus 709 slim because it looks promising and it fits her hand well.

Should I be looking at any other guns? I'd like to stay with a 9mm and not go with a 380. Any thoughts on the Taurus 709 slim? Thanks.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Way too much negative stuff on line about the 709. It seems as though every other comment mentions customer service. It's fairly easy to read between those lines. You might want to look at a Kahr CW9 or a Glock 26 for a start.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have the 709 Slim. I bought it used from an INGO member. First trip to the range it had a 25%FTF rate. I contacted Taurus. They arranged for me to send it to them. I did. Taurus paid for all the shipping and the repairs. It came back in six weeks, perfect. I have fed many types of ammo through it with no problem. It works very well, as reliable as my Glock 26 and much easier to conceal in the warm summer months. The single stack is great under a T-shirt. I use a tuckable, works great.

It is an excellent weapon. I trust it. I would trust it if my wife wanted to carry it.

It does have a higher bore axis than the Glock 26, so it tends to kick up a bit more than the G26. It is still manageable, though. Your wife should not have any problem double-tapping with it. Just needs to practice a bit.

Good luck on your choice of CC weapon.

BTW, if you are in the Fort Wayne area, I would be happy to let you and your wife try it at a local range.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got a 709 and its been a great gun for me. Only time I've ever gotten it to jam was after it was extremely dirty after over 400 rounds in one range visit and running rapid fire. And it only did it once or twice. I've put at least a 1000 rounds through it and it runs like a top. Pretty accurate for such a small gun too. I trust it without a problem. Its the backup to my daily carry 1911. Or good for when I need something even deeper conceal. It actually fits in a pocket fairly nicely.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My buddy bought one for his mom. We had a 3 or 4 FTF (failure to fire) in the first box of 50. Probably light strikes. All of them fired the second time through the gun. It was factory ammo.

Accuracy was good from 7 yards, with one caveat - the sights could not be adjusted high enough to hit where we were aiming. I was using a center hold, not a 6-o'clock hold, so a low hold would not explain the low hits on the target. It was hitting about 2" low at 7 yards with 115gr FMJ. We did not try at 15 or 25 yards, YMMV.

Of the subcompact 9mm's this is probably the easiest to rack, that I've seen. Trigger did not draw any attention to itself (good or bad).

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My 709 has been good since day one, and has over 1200 rounds through it. It's my daily carry and I have no concerns about its reliability. It needs to be kept squeaky clean, and you need to test whatever carry ammo you plan to use. I have absolutely no reservations about recommending the 709.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I also have a 709 Slim. I have not had any malfunctions with various ammo. I carry it everyday. I personally love the trigger and accuracy is great. I have several friends who have been impressed with the accuracy of this gun. I would recommend it for you and your wife both.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    love it X 2.

I bought one when it first came out. Shot the crap out of it with no problems. My daughter liked it so it became her pistol and I replaced it within a week. It takes a bit to get accustomed to the trigger but for what it was intended it is a great little gun.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have a 709 as well. Has perhaps 200 rounds through it. Runs great on everything except Winchester from Wal-Mart. Accuracy is quite good.

You can shoot it if you like. I get down to Seymour area and beyond with work from time to time. PM me and let me know.

To the guy who it feels good but wouldn't trust Taurus, I don't understand your reasoning. Many folks have Taurus weapons and they work fine. I have seen the awesome Glock FTF. Give taurus a break and try one or two on for size - you might like.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    i have a 709 slim that i'm considering selling. i've put about 200 rounds through it and i just don't like the trigger. everything else about it is great. i love its small size, grip, build quality, etc... it's very easy to conceal compared to a fatter Glock 26/27

my problem is that I don't know what i'd replace it with.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    i have a 709 slim that i'm considering selling. i've put about 200 rounds through it and i just don't like the trigger. everything else about it is great. i love its small size, grip, build quality, etc... it's very easy to conceal compared to a fatter Glock 26/27

my problem is that I don't know what i'd replace it with.

:rockwoot:

What would u wanna sell it for?

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Wife wants to carry something with a smaller grip than a double stack 9mm, so I'm looking for a single stack 9mm she can wrap her hands around. I'm looking at the Taurus 709 slim because it looks promising and it fits her hand well.

Should I be looking at any other guns? I'd like to stay with a 9mm and not go with a 380. Any thoughts on the Taurus 709 slim? Thanks.

I think you should look at the Taurus 709, the Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Kahr CW9 or P9. Then answer the following questions:

- does it fit the user's hand?
    - is the user able to rack the slide and manipulate the controls?
    - does the user find one gun easier to shoot than the others?
    - how much do you want to spend?
    - is the weight and/or size of the gun an issue?

Finally, bear in mind that small guns have more malfunctions than large guns because they are harder to hold onto. Bad grip = guns goes "click" instead of "bang".

Good luck.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The ones I have seen out at our range as an RO are 50/50, and we have had a TON of them out at Eagle Creek.

They either work flawlessly (though the roundcount I see before folks clean them and shove them in their waistband isn't confidence inspiring) or are junk. The good ones are very limpwrist prone, make sure not to when you get one. The trigger is easy to learn and it handles well at speed for it's size, but still a bit flippy compared to a G26 or Kahr CW9.

Outside of that, great concept (why buy expensive Kahr) but poor implementation (BUY THAT KAHR! :D ).

I would not trust it until I have had at least 500 rounds through it...

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The ones I have seen out at our range as an RO are 50/50, and we have had a TON of them out at Eagle Creek.

They either work flawlessly (though the roundcount I see before folks clean them and shove them in their waistband isn't confidence inspiring) or are junk. The good ones are very limpwrist prone, make sure not to when you get one. The trigger is easy to learn and it handles well at speed for it's size, but still a bit flippy compared to a G26 or Kahr CW9.

Outside of that, great concept (why buy expensive Kahr) but poor implementation (BUY THAT KAHR! :D ).

I would not trust it until I have had at least 500 rounds through it...

:+1: Excellent analysis. My son has a small Kal-Tec 9mm. I compared it to the G26 and found it just slightly smaller, but slightly larger than the 709. All are good weapons. Find the one that fits the hand and is controllable.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    My 709 slim is at Taurus getting fixed. Here's hoping they fix it under warranty and it goes "bang" instead of " " when it gets back. :dunno:

And I paid $68 to ship it FedEx. Okay, well, my husband did. After the Crown Point UPS store visibly flinched when he said it was a firearm, and they sent him away.

And then when it gets back, I'll take it directly to the 1500 and trade it for an M&P 9c.

The 709 fits my hand perfectly and is super easy to conceal (and was the right price) but has never been accurate (actually earning me taunting for hitting the ground repeatedly at the range) and now doesn't fire at all. It's just not a carry gun I want to continue trusting my life with.

So here's hoping you don't get a lemon like mine!

Top Bottom