• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was looking at the Indiana Guard Reserve website and just had some questions. I could see it going one of two ways to a greater or lesser degree.
    1- It is a great way to get some training, help the state and do good
    2- It is a bunch of military wannabe tools who for some reason can't or won't serve in a "real" military organization.

Now, I have not formed an opinion yet, it's just that my research on the web has left me with a lot of questions. I would be very interested in hearing if people who have experience in the IGR feel it's worthwhile.

If possible, I would like to know more about the training, both intake training and ongoing, and missions that you have been called out for.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The guard is on no way a bunch of Yahoo's... in todays times many of us are seasons combat veterans who have seen conflict on more than one of the world fronts... Its a great part time job, but plan on at least a couple deployments per 6 year enlistment... i did 3

they are really cracking down on the dead beats, so in the coming years i think you will see a very intellegant and effective guard.... but there is alot more politcal BS in the guard, so just know that going in and you will be ok.

good luck w/ whatever you decide on.

jtolbert8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Looking at any branch of the military respect is needed. All the men an women who sign up for active service are stating that they are willing to give there life to defend against all enemies foreign or domestic. I guess what branch you go into depends on the person.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ah.. clear, if you are talking about the guard reserve then option number 2 and then some.

Thanks. I want to help out and maybe get some training, but don't want to hang around with d-bags. I may look more into helping out with my county Emergency Management Agency. I did try to sign up once, but they were in transition at the time and I could never get anyone to get back to me, so I sort of gave up. I should try that again.
    All other opinions and experiences still welcome.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looking at any branch of the military respect is needed. All the men an women who sign up for active service are stating that they are willing to give there life to defend against all enemies foreign or domestic. I guess what branch you go into depends on the person.

You are quite correct. I have the utmost respect for anyone who takes the oath. IGR though is really not a branch of the military unless I am much mistaken. They are volunteers who do the non-combat role of the National Guard when the fighters are needed elsewhere.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    You are quite correct. I have the utmost respect for anyone who takes the oath. IGR though is really not a branch of the military unless I am much mistaken. They are volunteers who do the non-combat role of the National Guard when the fighters are needed elsewhere.

You are exactly correct about that. One of their chaplains married me and my wife, and he was pretty cool, but most of them are so old as to be more of a hinderance, even in a support role, than a help.:twocents:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Number 2........

I have worked with them at least twice and both times was only impressed with a select few of them........

I ran into one or two that had HUGE ego's and thought they were on of the Joint Cheif's and suffering from short man sendrome.....

willkirkman88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I'm in the army reserves, im actually in iraq right now on tour # 2. as for training basic training is turning into a serious cake walk, and for those who dont already know basic is the same for NG, Reserves, and active duty.
    political BS is every where in the military.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm in the army reserves, im actually in iraq right now on tour # 2. as for training basic training is turning into a serious cake walk, and for those who dont already know basic is the same for NG, Reserves, and active duty.
    political BS is every where in the military.

He is talking about the Guard Reserve.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

just my :twocents:, so be aware of that before reading. I work for a local military post, for security reasons, i wont tell you everything but I have worked with the IGR on many occasions and have had nothing but problems with these people, not all of them are bad, im sure but 95 percent of the ones Ive dealt with have been dirtbags, from the state commander down. Shoot, in the IGR, you can come in as an "Officer" if you got promoted to the rank of E5 in the acutal military. Too many times, weve dealt with them on blatant post law violations including trying to carry on post and trying to make actual service members salute them which is against regs by every account. The IGR is a CIVILIAN ORGANIZATION that has no service obligation in connection with the men and women who serve this great country. Granted alot of the IGR members are EX military, alot of them are dirtbags that washed out of the military for whatever reasons. I see no need for the IGR, its a waste in my opinion. I could go on for hours about the problems concerning the IGR and this is not an attack on any one member of the IGR that may or may not be a member of this site, just stating my observations after 5 yrs of dealing with them on post. :patriot:

again im talking about the Indiana Guard Reserve, NOT the Indiana ARMY NATIONAL GUARD WHO ACTUALLY SERVE OUR STATE AND NATION

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    The guard is on no way a bunch of Yahoo's... in todays times many of us are seasons combat veterans who have seen conflict on more than one of the world fronts... Its a great part time job, but plan on at least a couple deployments per 6 year enlistment... i did 3

they are really cracking down on the dead beats, so in the coming years i think you will see a very intellegant and effective guard.... but there is alot more politcal BS in the guard, so just know that going in and you will be ok.

good luck w/ whatever you decide on.
    +1 The guard and reserve is cleaning up. The War in Iraq and Afganistan are helping with the deadbeat issue due to the reality that anybody in can and most probably will end up in a combat zone. Alot of people take their opinions from the media and TV which portray the guard as useless wannabees. Everybody serves active and reserve and deserves the respect due from the people that they serve and protect.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I wouldn't call them civilian, they are an honest to God state organized militia to be used to man posts that otherwise would be filled by federal reserve forces when they are deployed or in times of emergency. Not a regular or reserve federal military force, but military nonetheless. States do have the power to form military or paramilitary forces for their internal defense and to repel invasion. Whether the IGR is up to the task is another matter altogether.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Most of the ones I know are retired National Guardsmen who have nothing else in their life...

You'll see them around on occasion and may have thought them Military, due to the fact that they still wear uniforms and rank, with a color state flag wear the US flag should be worn. They are no longer affiliated with any branch of service.

Top Bottom