Any IN Instructors Doing IL Courses Yet ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    On a semi-related note...I was reading the FAQ's on the Illinois site. It sounds like those of us in other states who have a concealed carry license from our home state can now carry in our vehicle while in Illinois (but not outside our vehicle), without an Illinois license. Is this a correct understanding? Also, does all of this apply throughout the entire state (including Chicago??).

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    In the class I attended, we were told you could carry inside vehicle, but not outside it. When you get out for any reason, weapon must stay inside vehicle. I am not sure about Crook County, as I am 5 hours south of it, and plan to never go there.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    It's been a bit from when I was doing a little reading on this but in the wording does our LTCH meet the requirements for them to honor us and get a non-resident license?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    In the class I attended, we were told you could carry inside vehicle, but not outside it. When you get out for any reason, weapon must stay inside vehicle. I am not sure about Crook County, as I am 5 hours south of it, and plan to never go there.

If you are not a resident of Illanoy with a permit from that state you may carry inside your vehicle. The firearm must be locked inside the vehicle if you exit the vehicle. If you are a resident of Illanoy you can only carry an UNLOADED firearm inside a case or console. Does that make any sense: no but that is the law. Jim.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    a whole class full of people paying twenty dollars an hour to the instructror seems ridiculous to me
    Heck, I've taken training in non firearms areas of business that cost 100 dollars an hour per person and up. When looking at any sort of training, I'm concerned with what I am getting for my course fee, not how much (or little) the instructor or institution is making off the course.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Heck, I've taken training in non firearms areas of business that cost 100 dollars an hour per person and up. When loopng at any sort of training, I'm concerned with what I am getting for my course fee, not how much (or little) the instructor or institution is making he course.
    Agreed. keep in mind that you are not just paying for the hours of instruction. You are also paying for materials, the instructors prep cost and certification, travel expense, etc. Ask anyone who does training and they will tell you that the real work goes on behind the scenes. Coordination of a training class is a major amount of work.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I was quoted $200 for the full 16 hours. I only have to take 8 since I have a Utah permit and took the hunters safety course 30 years ago. I have been hearing that some of the instructors are completing the 8 hours of materials in a couple of hours.....this makes me nervous. I think the people in these short classes will have a problem (along with the instructor) if they are involved in a shooting.

bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    I go to school full time so i pay thousands to instructors but it is something that i want to learn. These gun classes are just something i have to take to get a card so yeah i am going for the cheapest possible. I only work part time.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Agreed. keep in mind that you are not just paying for the hours of instruction. You are also paying for materials, the instructors prep cost and certification, travel expense, etc. Ask anyone who does training and they will tell you that the real work goes on behind the scenes. Coordination of a training class is a major amount of work.

So very true!

My net cash profit margin is in the 12 to 15 percent range, which means it takes $7 to $8 of income to generate one dollar. This may be the first year that my income per hour might exceed minimum wage--remains to be seen.

Indiana Firearms Training
    www.illinoisccltraining.com

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I go to school full time so i pay thousands to instructors but it is something that i want to learn. These gun classes are just something i have to take to get a card so yeah i am going for the cheapest possible. I only work part time.
    While I can understand the mentality to some extent; often when you go for the cheapest possible option you do not get the item or results you may have expected. This goes for just about any product or service. Now, with products, if you are looking at the same product from different vendors, sure cheapest option as long as it's the exact same product. But services are a different animal. The end result may be your paper card, but did you really get the training you were supposed to?
    There are a ton of people right now just looking at this as an inconvenience in order to obtain the card. They are surprised when they go to the classes and actually find out they didn't already know everything, which your statement implies that you do.
    I'm in no way saying you shouldn't be frugal and use your funds wisely, just saying the cheapest route for some things is rarely the best.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I was quoted $200 for the full 16 hours. I only have to take 8 since I have a Utah permit and took the hunters safety course 30 years ago. I have been hearing that some of the instructors are completing the 8 hours of materials in a couple of hours.....this makes me nervous. I think the people in these short classes will have a problem (along with the instructor) if they are involved in a shooting.

From what I have heard both the ISP and NRA have discovered this and are in the process of revoking their credentials. Supposedly at least one instructor was doing the 8hour NRA basic pistol course in two hours and printing a fake diploma. I expect these people to be procecuted for fraud and good riddiance. Jim.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    From what I have heard both the ISP and NRA have discovered this and are in the process of revoking their credentials. Supposedly at least one instructor was doing the 8hour NRA basic pistol course in two hours and printing a fake diploma. I expect these people to be procecuted for fraud and good riddiance. Jim.
    In my experience, most instructors try to do a decent job, but there is, still, substantial variance in the overall quality.
    Some just scrimp by.
    Some conduct the classes at a loss or just don't understand what it really costs to conduct good training.
    Finally, some are as 04FXSTS presented: incompetent and-or unscrupulous.

We will continue to conduct our classes at the highest level, as reputation is everything in service businesses.

Indiana Firearms Training
    www.illinoisccltraining.com

bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    I dont know everything i know that but more than most i have been shooting since about 8 years old. Now knowing your only making fifteen percent or so on the dollar makes me feel better when i thought of it before it sounded like you instructors were trying to make a lot of profit on nothing.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    For interested parties in north central IN, I was just notified that Norm Hood, of Defensive Solutions, LLC, has received his credentials to teach the Illinois CCW course. If you're in the South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart area, this makes it convenient.

Norm's a good egg, IMO, and a great instructor. He can be contacted via his website: Defensive Solutions, LLC

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I would strongly suggest those wanting carry a concealed firearm read the entire law enacted and not a paragraph. Section 40 e. refers to a concealed firearm in your vehicle not carrying the firearm on your person. The Illinois State Rifle Association has been publishing a very good analysis of the new law. I would recommend looking at their publications or contact a lawyer specializing in firearm laws. Some of the advice being published is interesting but you will find out quickly how wrong it is when you are being arrested by a LEO in Illinois.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I would strongly suggest those wanting carry a concealed firearm read the entire law enacted and not a paragraph. Section 40 e. refers to a concealed firearm in your vehicle not carrying the firearm on your person. The Illinois State Rifle Association has been publishing a very good analysis of the new law. I would recommend looking at their publications or contact a lawyer specializing in firearm laws. Some of the advice being published is interesting but you will find out quickly how wrong it is when you are being arrested by a LEO in Illinois.

Got the link?

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI

uhh no. We are getting a ccl. It must be concealed on your person and in your vehicle. There is a list of places you cant carry and some other restrictions. This is not a license to carry concealed in your vehicle. READ THE LAW IN ITS ENTIRETY.

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI

$100 for the 16hr course. Security Training Center, Inc ? IL Concealed Carry That is where i took my class. Waaaay too many instructors are trying to cash in on this IMO. Not to mention out of staters are going have to pay $300 for the license itself.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    uhh no. We are getting a ccl. It must be concealed on your person and in your vehicle. There is a list of places you cant carry and some other restrictions. This is not a license to carry concealed in your vehicle. READ THE LAW IN ITS ENTIRETY.
    I think he's talking about non residents that have a LTCH that don't want to get a Illinois CCW.

Top Bottom