Any IN Instructors Doing IL Courses Yet ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Just wondered if any IN instructors have been certified to do the IL Concealed Carry Course yet ?

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I believe Bob Aldridge at Indiana Firearms Training has already been contacted by the State of Illinois, and has developed a course for students there. One of his instructors is a retired SWAT sergeant, so they got up to speed pretty quickly on it.
    Indiana Firearms Training

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am only seeing one listed on the Illinois State Police website.

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/FindInstructor.aspx

This is the instructor search page where you can put in just the state and all instructors will show from that state. I am only seeing one from Hobart. DISCLAIMER: I am from Illinois and am an approved instructor but if you search by county my name does not how up. If you search by name or alphabetal I will show up. I am not saying there is only one indiana instructor, just that only one comes up if you search by state. Let us not forget this is Illinois we are talking about and there is no logical pattern to anything our state goverment does. Jim.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks - good link. Pity they don't have it perfected yet - but better than Obamacare website.

Are IL State Police in favor of the new law ?

I am only seeing one listed on the Illinois State Police website.

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/FindInstructor.aspx

This is the instructor search page where you can put in just the state and all instructors will show from that state. I am only seeing one from Hobart. DISCLAIMER: I am from Illinois and am an approved instructor but if you search by county my name does not how up. If you search by name or alphabetal I will show up. I am not saying there is only one indiana instructor, just that only one comes up if you search by state. Let us not forget this is Illinois we are talking about and there is no logical pattern to anything our state goverment does. Jim.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I believe Bob Aldridge at Indiana Firearms Training has already been contacted by the State of Illinois, and has developed a course for students there. One of his instructors is a retired SWAT sergeant, so they got up to speed pretty quickly on it.

Thanks, Sarge--we (Sgt. DeYoung and I) do expect to get formal certification as Illinois CCL Instructors very soon--perhaps as early as the end of this week, December 20.

This has been a long, convoluted, and frustrating initiative, as the IL State Police Legal Dept. issued an opinion saying only those with FOID cards could be instructors, which eliminates everyone without Illinois residency. That problem, it appears, has been rectified, and I have been assured by an IL State Police retired Lt. Col., who returned to run the CCL program, processing of out-of-state instructor applications will start right away. He even went so far as to say he might use ours as test cases to see how fast the background checks can be completed and credentials issued.

Stay tuned.

I expect it will be the end of the year or very early in 2014 for us to become certified IL CCL instructors. We are, indeed, looking forward to it!

www.illinoisccltraining.com

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Where did you enter the 219 area code - search function does not have that as a search option
    every browser has a search option to search the page you are viewing.
    for example, in internet explorer, it's edit, find on this page. of Ctrl+F is the keyboard shortcut.

This has been a long, convoluted, and frustrating initiative, as the IL State Police Legal Dept. issued an opinion saying only those with FOID cards could be instructors, which eliminates everyone without Illinois residency. That problem, it appears, has been rectified, and I have been assured by an IL State Police retired Lt. Col., who returned to run the CCL program, processing of out-of-state instructor applications will start right away. He even went so far as to say he might use ours as test cases to see how fast the background checks can be completed and credentials issued.

Stay tuned.

I expect it will be the end of the year or very early in 2014 for us to become certified IL CCL instructors. We are, indeed, looking forward to it!

Interesting. I called the office Friday and the person I spoke to could not or would not confirm that exact information with me.
    I also asked if they could confirm whether or not you had to have a permit/lic in your home state in order to get an IL ccw and they could not answer that question either.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Interesting. I called the office Friday and the person I spoke to could not or would not confirm that exact information with me.
    I also asked if they could confirm whether or not you had to have a permit/lic in your home state in order to get an IL ccw and they could not answer that question either.

See: Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of Public Act 098-0600 for information on IL out-of-state CCL requirements

Section 40.e.2:
    is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
    evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or
    permit issued by his or her state of residence, if
    applicable;

It appears the person with whom you spoke is not up to speed on current IL CCL law.

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, they were of exactly zero help.
    Do you know if they have published the "materially similar" listing yet? That's the big hang up...

I'm talking about section 40 a, b, c.
    I understand 40 e, it's not relevant to obtaining a non resident permit.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    how much should il classes cost

How much the two required days of classes should cost is an open question subject to debate.
    However, the classes tend to be in the $270 to $300 range. The first day can be bypassed if you have either completed the NRA Basic Pistol course or have a DD214. The second day is mandatory and consists of presentations on the IL CCL Act, with a live-fire qualification of a total of 30 rounds on a B27 target from 5, 7, and 10 yards. 21 of the 30 shots must be somewhere on the silhouette.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Requirements Prior to Applying for a Concealed Carry License

ILLINOIS RESIDENTS

• 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
    • Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
    • An Illinois Digital I.D. Visit the Illinois Digital ID website to obtain one. NOTE: A separate website link is available if you have forgotten your Illinois Digital I.D. username and/or password. If you have questions, visit the Illinois Digital ID website FAQ page or call the Central Management Services Help Desk at 1-800-366-8768 for assistance with the Digital ID. Questions regarding the Concealed Carry License application process should be directed to the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980.
      Java will be required for all of these computer functions to work correctly. To find out if you have the current Java click on this link and then click on “verify java version” to find out if you have Java. AGAIN – YOU MUST HAVE JAVA LOADED ON YOUR PC.
    • A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
    • A valid FOID card.
    • A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
    • Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
    • Fingerprints – Electronic fingerprints will expedite your application! Specify to the Live Scan vendor that your fingerprint application is for the Concealed Carry application (ORI = IL920707Z, Purpose Code = CCW). NOTE: Applicants will be assigned a transaction control number (TCN) at the time of fingerprinting and will be required to retain that TCN to complete the application.
    • $150.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

NON-RESIDENTS

• 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
    • An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
    • Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
    • A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
    • An Illinois Digital I.D. Visit the Illinois Digital ID website to obtain one. NOTE: If you have questions, visit the Illinois Digital ID website FAQ page or call the Central Management Services Help Desk at 1-800-366-8768 for assistance with the Digital ID. Questions regarding the Concealed Carry License application process should be directed to the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980.
      Java will be required for all of these computer functions to work correctly. To find out if you have the current Java click on this link and then click on “verify java version” to find out if you have Java. AGAIN – YOU MUST HAVE JAVA LOADED ON YOUR PC.
    • A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
    • Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
    • A notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
    • $300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    (b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident
    license applications from any state or territory of the United
    States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and