Any good reason to buy an M-9 Ontario Bayonet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Every once in a while I get the urge to buy an M-9 Bayonet. For no other reason than I used to have one issued to me. To make things even stupider (yes that's a word) I never even used my old M-9, and it was kept in a duffle bag. Every once in a while now I get the urge to buy one, and I'm trying to talk myself out of it one more time.

Is there anything good about an M-9? The wire cutting doesn't do much for me. The saw on the back is worthless. I'll grab my junglas before I'd grab an M-9 for any outdoor chores. I just can't think of anything that an M-9 excels at other than sticking on the end of a rifle.

Anyone have one and want to convince me either way?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    If you are always drawn to it, buy it! Knives and material objects in general are emotionally tied, as much as anything. The knife might end up a POS..... But you may still be very happy to own it.

If we are talking TOOLS, buy only quality. If we are
    Taking something that speaks to your soul.... Buy what speaks to you!

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Sounds like you are an ex service member... if this is true, and you want an m9 I will give you one if you pay for shipping.
    Send me an email if you want it.
    never used, just looked at intently a few times...
    I almost forgot, it's not an Ontario...but...I live just south of Ontario Indiana if that counts.
    lagrangecustomknives@embarqmail.com

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    It looks awesome

Ive got an M9 bayonet on my Colt 20" AR15 and it is only for looks. I mean the M9 is the only bayonet that will fit properly over an A2 flash hider which is why the M6 type bayonets wont work generally on a newer AR with a muzzle device.

For me the bayonet is like the heat shield on a Remington 870 shotgun. It isnt neccessarily practical but I think it looks tough. The way I felt was if I have this awesome bayonet lug on my awesome AR15 why not utilize it. It goes on to show someone how cool I am! and comes off after they agree with me :ar15:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    How longs it been since a US soldier has gotten a bayonet kill anyways?

A while... however the Afghans have stuck our boys quite a few times since we've been over there.

To the OP, our M9's were "sensitive items" and once signed for the whole section would throw them in a locked range box with our pro masks, nods bags and IBA's... personally I don't get the affinity for one unless you need it to complete your zombie AR... they're to big for most tasks and too small for others, way too heavy, hard to sharpen and have terrible handle ergonomics... if you want a US military knife that will at least do you well in a fight look at the old M3 style that Paratroopers strapped on in WW2.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A while... however the Afghans have stuck our boys quite a few times since we've been over there.

To the OP, our M9's were "sensitive items" and once signed for the whole section would throw them in a locked range box with our pro masks, nods bags and IBA's... personally I don't get the affinity for one unless you need it to complete your zombie AR... they're to big for most tasks and too small for others, way too heavy, hard to sharpen and have terrible handle ergonomics... if you want a US military knife that will at least do you well in a fight look at the old M3 style that Paratroopers strapped on in WW2.

I'm thinking of the M9 as more of a collection piece and something for the nostalgia & history of it. I never even used mine to open an MRE. It went into the bottom of a duffle bag and my kabar rode on my hip. It's just one of those things though that every once in a while I see one and think about buying one even though I know I wouldn't use it for anything and it'd just set around again.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    I'm thinking of the M9 as more of a collection piece and something for the nostalgia & history of it.

I agree with this statement!

I have a few M-9 bayonets and I bought them because I have the Colt AR with 14.5" socom upper that is fits perfectly on...just like I carried in the USAF (Security Forces). We were not issued the M-9 like the Army or Marines were but I felt it was a nice authentic addition to my AR.

This is a good, interesting and well written historical perspective on the M-9 bayonets (click the Phrobis III, Lan-Cay and/or Ontario Knife Works links for variants and details):
    M9Bayonet.com: The Website for everything about the M9 Bayonet

I also carried the Beretta M9 and I built a commercial replica with all the assembly numbers from unissued or non serviceable parts (except the lower receiver which you cannot get unless you are a retired officer and it's a General Officers issue M9). This is probably one of my most favorite handguns and it shoots very well.

Top Bottom