Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Generally the term is "free and accepted mason."
    To the best of my knowledge...
    Free means unbound, not a slave nor under indentured servitude; accepted means recognized as a member of the brotherhood, originally guild, of stonemasons.

'Tis an ancient organization...

Doug

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hey I could use a bunch of free masons I need some stone and brick work done...

Do you guys still do that or just hide the remains of Mary Magdalene?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, guys, a little history...
    Long ago, during the middle ages, only the Masons understood geometry and mathematics well enough to build cathedrals that didn't fall down. Of course, building these things was very dangerous work and you didn't want to work with someone who didn't know what he was doing. So the Masons got together and formed a group that trained new workmen and was a kind of union. They took care of the widows and orphans of the workmen who were killed on the job and helped care for the members who became too old to work on the stones. They had different skill levels of apprentices, fellows of the craft, and Masters. They used secret signs and words to identify themselves so they wouldn't employ or assist people who weren't qualified masons. Along with the skills of the trade, they taught morality.
    With the Renaissance, the knowledge of mathematics and geometry became more widespread and, soon, anyone who could read could learn the mysteries of building.
    The remaining masons decided that the organization and its moral instruction was too important to disappear. They began to admit Noblemen who were of good character into their Lodges as speculative, not operative, masons. These non-working members studied the moral philosophy of the organization and, presumably, became better men because of Masonry's teachings.
    The rest is, as they say, history. Today all Freemasonry is speculative, but the bonds of brotherhood remain and those who have learned the lessons of the builder will know one another "in the dark as well as the light."

Doug
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Long ago, during the middle ages, only the Masons understood geometry and mathematics well enough to build cathedrals that didn't fall down. Of course, building these things was very dangerous work and you didn't want to work with someone who didn't know what he was doing. So the Masons got together and formed a group that trained new workmen and was a kind of union. They took care of the widows and orphans of the workmen who were killed on the job and helped care for the members who became too old to work on the stones. They had different skill levels of apprentices, fellows of the craft, and Masters. They used secret signs and words to identify themselves so they wouldn't employ or assist people who weren't qualified masons. Along with the skills of the trade, they taught morality.
    With the Renaissance, the knowledge of mathematics and geometry became more widespread and, soon, anyone who could read could learn the mysteries of building.
    The remaining masons decided that the organization and its moral instruction was too important to disappear. They began to admit Noblemen who were of good character into their Lodges as speculative, not operative, masons. These non-working members studied the moral philosophy of the organization and, presumably, became better men because of Masonry's teachings.
    The rest is, as they say, history. Today all Freemasonry is speculative, but the bonds of brotherhood remain and those who have learned the lessons of the builder will know one another "in the dark as well as the light."

Doug

Cool- I never really heard that before. :ingo:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central

Doug
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Very well done. Could not have said it better myself. To all that are interested and have a mind open to enlightenment, to be one, ask one. Ancient Free & Accepted Masonry is a worthy association of good men. Worthy of your thought and time.

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    The true treasures of masonry, like all things of lasting value, must be found, they cannot be given.

That is a way deep thought, especially this early in the morning.

Doug, I also appreciate your history lesson. I am not a Mason, but several of my relatives are. They aren't especially forthcoming with many details.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    my wife has family members who are Masons. I've been approached a time or two but didn't understand what they were about.

I'll say Doug's description above has piqued my interest.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I am a Past Master of my lodge and a member of the York Rite. I'm 28 and I've been a Mason for 5 years and I can honestly say the decision to become a Mason was one of very best decisions I've ever made.

I stay very active, I do a lot of work for a lot of the lodges in my area and when you do that you just naturally get back so much more then you could ever give.

Thanks to Masonry I've had many great opportunities present themselves (including my current occupation) and I've met so many people that I would have never met otherwise.

If there is anyone here that would like more information about Freemasonry please feel free to contact me by private message.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale

Doug
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Let me add another 'attaboy Doug, very nicely put

electra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    "Making good men better"
    Nice to see a few brethren hereabouts. Been east also, and enjoy doing the occasional degree work when called upon.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't know anything about the modern Freemasons/Scottish Rite people. Growing up, a buddy of mine had a grandfather who died a bit prematurely. He was given a few of his swords presented to him by his Scottish Rite brethern. My friend, nor his father, knew anything about them.

electra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    tryfreemasonry. c o m has a bit of information in regards the fraternity . . . not to solicit (still not allowed) members, but if any of you are interested, will try to counsel you if asked. Am involved with Cumberland 726 (refugees at Oakland 140, presently) and dabble with the York Rite at Greenfield/Hancock 101.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom