• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Is there any way to search with a VIN to see what rear end and its internals a vehicle has? I have a possible donor if everything matches up. I searched on the axle and couldn't find the ID tag that is usually on one of the bolts on the cover.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    The axle code is 24, implying 3.73. That would be the Ring and pinion, would the LSD be different as well?? Its an 8.8, but it has the 3.73. and my truck has the 3.55...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No offense to the advice you are getting here, but maybe you should cross reference on a specialty forum?
    Looks like to me, that possibly the rear-end was toasted by the extremely hard work of snowplowing? Don't know if the standard F150 was set up for that? I think you need been-there-done-that advice.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    No offense to the advice you are getting here, but maybe you should cross reference on a specialty forum?
    Looks like to me, that possibly the rear-end was toasted by the extremely hard work of snowplowing? Don't know if the standard F150 was set up for that? I think you need been-there-done-that advice.

Wish I could find a specialty forum that didnt irritate me and knew what they were talking about. And yes Im aware the plowing didnt help Im sure. Also being 13 years old could be a key player..

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Whats the difference between the conventional and the Traction Lok? The donor vehicle is a Ford Aerostar, and its list as a 3.73 conventional... Would the conventional mean that the diff isnt as tough or what?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Axle Code from potential Donor

24 94/ 3.54 3.8M, 5.3M Ford Non-limited slip (F150/F250) Mexico
    24 03 3.54 Limited slip (F150)

Axle Code from F150 (my truck)

H9 90/ 3.55 3.8M Ford Limited slip (E150, F150, TE, TN, U150)

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I think the Aerostar uses a more narrow axel housing then the f150, more like one found in a ranger. And it would actually only be an 7.5" differential. Don't hold me to it but I am 90% sure that the only axels you can use are full size trucks like f150 and bronco.

Difference between limited slip and open differential is with limited slip both wheels turn at the same rate until one is bound up and the clutches let it slip and the opposite wheel will still turn.

With an open differential if the drive wheel gets hung up, your stuck.

One way to tell difference without any code's or taking apart, if you turn one side wheel clockwise, then the opposite side wheel turns the opposite direction (counter clockwise) then it is an open differential. If the opposite wheel turns the same direction as the one your turning, then it has a limited slip, (or more commonly called a possi-trac).

No matter what gear ratio you have, all axel housings are the same. Just make sure if you have a 4x4 then you match the ratio with the front. A 3.27 is gonna be a turd off the line but get great highway mileage. Where a 4.10 is gonna be way peppy off the line but lack highway mileage. Perfect ratio is 3.55 for regular driving, and 3.73 for pulling trailers IMHO.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So I was just staring at the dead gear, and decided to count the splines... 31, not 28. Which opens a new window for me, but now I got to find a set with the external gears to accomodate the friction disks.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    My 2000 ate rear ends like crazy one at 59k one at 110k another at 160k after the first 3k replacement I went the junkyard route. Quick swap and I want to say I paid around 250-300 for them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    On a quiet night you can hear a Ford rust.
    Yes! This is why my 95 F-150 still doesn't have a speck of rust on it, looks as good as it did the day I drove it out of the showroom, and has got me from home to work and back (24 miles round trip) every frikken day for the last 18 years, with nothing more than oil changes and a new set of tires or 3, or 4, don't remember.

I also have an 85 full size Bronco, which has not rusted, and, while some of the wiring has been a PIA to keep working properly, it is a BEAST!

:D

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    UPDATE: Shes fixed. I ordered a gear set from Oreilly, they were wrong, and they couldnt get me the right ones (I have limited slip, and they could only get the conventional)... I broke down on Monday and went to Ford, and the guy there did a search by VIN to order the right stuff, overnighted here, picked em up this morning, and spent a little over an hour putting it back together. She drives like a dream. Didnt realize how bad it really was until I drove it with all new guts in the rear.

On a side note, they gave me this sweet swiss army knife as well (has the dealership logo on it, but its friggin cool anyways).

Top Bottom