• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Mike DVB
    You have the enthusiasm and interest. Dont let anyone talk you out of it. There are various ways to go about it, none will be easy or cheap, as you probably already know. I keep a plane, but I also drive old clunker cars.
    You mentioned using someone else's plane. I have known very few pilots with their own plane that will let a new student pilot use it to learn in. The insurance issue is not so easily overcome. One reason pilots choose to own is the knowledge that they know that no one else has been out playing monkey on a football with their plane. When you hop in a rental, you have no idea what kind of abuse the plane has been subjected to. Just a thought.
    If you are near Columbus anytime, stop by BAK. We can get you a ride for sure in something.
    Sure - I have friends in Columbus - just drop me a PM sometime when you're going to be out and about and I can pop over. I've no issues helping to cover fuel etc.

I'm fairly busy for most of January but February+ I should hopefully be free.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Sure - I have friends in Columbus - just drop me a PM sometime when you're going to be out and about and I can pop over. I've no issues helping to cover fuel etc.

I'm fairly busy for most of January but February+ I should hopefully be free.
    will do
    have the gear legs off right now but when it's all back together, will let u kknow
    how far away are you?

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What do you want to do with your flying? Do you want to go 1000 miles away for vacations? 100 miles for lunch? Travel for business? Laze around in the sky boring holes?

Look into a Sport Pilot certificate. All of the fun of a Private Pilot at a significantly reduced price, though with significantly reduced utility.

I've had a J-3 Cub and a Cessna 140, but developed a need to make trips to Florida. I bought a Bonanza an I'm having the time of my life in it?

crazycatlady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Allen county
    I've been wais ting to tis good information even if you ke some flying lessons to work on getting a fixed-wing pilot's license but haven't really gotten around to it [been busy busy busy]... The wife got me a short/basic class and some flying time locally and I was just wanting to know if anybody has any specific advice before I attend. I have a year to attend the class [I just have to call and schedule it] but would like to make sure all of my ducks are in a row.

That said - hopefully I'll be able to afford everything required to actually become a licensed pilot. I have numerous friends that own small planes and it would be nice to be able to make short trips and/or fly for fun and pleasure every once in a while.

Hi, Mike. I am new to INGO, but have been a pilot for 20 years. I had stopped flying for about 8 years and took it up again about 3 years ago.

I would focus on the ground school material first. The same applies whether you go for your private pilot license or the sport pilot route. If your offers both, great. Another option might be self-study. I like the Rod Machado materials.
    Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. if you have any medical history that might be a hindrance to a class 3 medical, schedule a consult with an FAA examiner to discuss it before you actually apply for it.

Have fun.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The only medical issue I have is hypertension but it's well controlled with medication.

I'm hoping it clears up as I lose weight but I have a feeling it's genetic.

Southwind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I don't believe that the FAA uses "only" and "hypertension" in the same paragraph. If it is controlled with acceptable medication (most are acceptable), you are probably good to go but you'll likely have a few extra hoops to jump through. You should review your status with n AME before you get too much invested.

Meanwhile, this link will provide some insight:

Hypertension - Special Issuance Policies

Top Bottom