• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was wanting to know if any contractors have heard of or have taken the Lead Renovation Certification class. It was passed by EPA and is manditory starting April 22 2010.

I have been reading up on it a little and think it is a bunch of BS. It looks like another way for them to get a bunch more money from us. From what I have been told it looks like it is going to add quite abit of time and material to about anything that involves a pre 1978 home or structure.

I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks Scott

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I was wanting to know if any contractors have heard of or have taken the Lead Renovation Certification class. It was passed by EPA and is manditory starting April 22 2010.

I have been reading up on it a little and think it is a bunch of BS. It looks like another way for them to get a bunch more money from us. From what I have been told it looks like it is going to add quite abit of time and material to about anything that involves a pre 1978 home or structure.

I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks Scott

You hit the nail on the head. It's a bunch of BS. I have to take the class as well.
    Just another way to squeeze a bit more $$$ from a contractor.

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was told that in order to replace a window. You have to wear dust suits, seal off the area that you will be removing, place plastic inside and outside on the ground, and once the plastic is used one time it must be disposed of not to be used again. Then clean everything up with Hepa flitered sweepers then dispose of filter. Its like trying to get E.T. out of a house. What happens is you go from installing 10 or 12 windows aday down to 1 or 2. Sorry to rant but it p!$$e$ me off

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I was told that in order to replace a window. You have to wear dust suits, seal off the area that you will be removing, place plastic inside and outside on the ground, and once the plastic is used one time it must be disposed of not to be used again. Then clean everything up with Hepa flitered sweepers then dispose of filter. Its like trying to get E.T. out of a house. What happens is you go from installing 10 or 12 windows aday down to 1 or 2. Sorry to rant but it p!$$ me off
    I'm a plumber and I have to take this class.....:dunno:
    This is the same thing we have to go through to remove asbestos insulation.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Bear with me on this for a second. They are trying to pass legislation that would make all existing homes pass new green standards before they are sold. It is already economically unfeasible to sell a 50+ year old home that is worth $100k or less under that proposed legislation. Most likely, you'd have to spend $20k + to get the home up to the proposed new standards. Now add in all these regulations you were talking about and installing new green windows will cost at least double.

Is it their intention to force people into not building new homes, thus saving the planet by not using new raw materials, etc.? If that is the case, I think it will backfire as it will just cause more homes to be bulldozed as they won't be worth the money and effort to make compliant, thus causing more new homes to be built. King of like cash for clunkers. They think improving gas mileage is more important than holding the amount of garbage in the landfill.

I'm hoping to have my 100 year old house sold this summer before all this crap takes affect. Otherwise, I could stand to lose tens of thousands of dollars on it.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I work in insurance as a district manager and this was discussed a few weeks ago at a staff meeting. A bit crazy but who knows.

I just really hope they don't pass any legislation that says your house has to be "green" in order to sell it. Won't probably effect me but it's going to be pain is the *** for a metric ton of people to sell a house, the market sucks no you add this.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Bear with me on this for a second. They are trying to pass legislation that would make all existing homes pass new green standards before they are sold. It is already economically unfeasible to sell a 50+ year old home that is worth $100k or less under that proposed legislation. Most likely, you'd have to spend $20k + to get the home up to the proposed new standards. Now add in all these regulations you were talking about and installing new green windows will cost at least double.
    Were can I read up on this? If something like this passed I would get hammered on trying to sell our 100 yearl old home as well.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Were can I read up on this? If something like this passed I would get hammered on trying to sell our 100 yearl old home as well.

I don't have any sources on this but I believe it was part of the original cap and trade legislation. I don't know if it's still included or not. I just remember that being part of the uproar when they first rolled out the bill.

Top Bottom