• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I bought a savage heavy barrel when the round first came out (so old its non accu-trigger). It has been an outstanding gun. My go to pest removal tool at the house. The 17g loads are nice because they fragment if hitting solids so no ricochet around the house unlike a .22.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    bought the Marlin SS with synthetic stock / absolutely a tack driver and ground hog killer.....and like everyone has said....you can find .17 HMR ammo, unlike .22

tallerthan28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Zionsville
    I like my 17 HMR, but one bit of advise I have a metal target that I usually use for my 22, and shot it with my 17 hmr, and the rounds damged the target to a point that i cant use it any more, but it is a wonderful round.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    Hobart
    YES, I have 2 Savage model 93's, my daughter shoots one with the standard stock bull barrel and mine has the thumb hole stock and bull barrel and we love shooting them and like already mentioned ammo is easy to find

scsbronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    I run a TBAC Suppressed Savage 17hmr for Varmint work out to 125yds. The accuracy is amazing for the price. Its a little bit quiter than 22lr at 1000fps unsuppressed.

scsbronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    It sounds really nice. 50yds from the shooter it is very hard to tell which direction the shot is coming from. That's how much it changes the signature. My neighbor says it sounds like an air rifle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It sounds really nice. 50yds from the shooter it is very hard to tell which direction the shot is coming from. That's how much it changes the signature. My neighbor says it sounds like an air rifle.

I used to be into .17 but went another way when I was told suppressing was not an option.
    I guess just doing it and seeing foe yourself is the key.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Our .17 HMRs get lots of use, particularly on prairie dogs. At various times we've had them in Savage, TC, Marlin, Ruger, CZ, and Anschutz. We've had bolt guns, single shots, semi-auto, bolt action pistol, and a revolver. All of them were very accurate. We are down to two CZ 452s, a 10/22M conversion, and a Ruger 96M conversion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our .17 HMRs get lots of use, particularly on prairie dogs. At various times we've had them in Savage, TC, Marlin, Ruger, CZ, and Anschutz. We've had bolt guns, single shots, semi-auto, bolt action pistol, and a revolver. All of them were very accurate. We are down to two CZ 452s, a 10/22M conversion, and a Ruger 96M conversion.

I had a Savage laminated thumb hole stock with t a bull barrel. It had several Varmints on it including 3 Coyote.
    Taurus Tracker 6" barrel spent a lot of time in a tree stand with a good friend. He used it on Yotes. Dropped several with it. He bought one for himself when I dropped the caliber.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I like my 17 HMR, but one bit of advise I have a metal target that I usually use for my 22, and shot it with my 17 hmr, and the rounds damged the target to a point that i cant use it any more, but it is a wonderful round.

A friend of mine shot at two steel plates spaced about 4 inches apart. It bored a nice, neat, round .17 hole in the first plate and put a gray lead-spray pattern about the size of a silver dollar on the second plate with no impact damage whatsoever. It also will not exit any varmint-size creature. Given the considerations of being extremely destructive to a primary target with no real exit potential, very limited ricochet/stray round danger, and the capability of putting down a yote, I bought a CZ that an older friend of this friend had bought at the same time and hardly used (and reached the age of not being able to go play with his toys). Unfortunately, I have been too preoccupied with other things to get around to testing it out. Then again, I am about to reach the stage in my farming program where it is going to become necessary for its intended purpose, so it may well not be much longer!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have been told that little round was hard to suppress as it is super-sonic. Never tried.

I suppressed my 455 in .17 for crow.

17 suppressed better than you think. Takes the loud crack out of the shot, and it really does sound something similar to an unsuppressed SV/subsonic .22

Suppresses good enough you can hear the "thwack" on the target

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    ***Warning*** gruesome photos ahead.

I can never find all the pieces of a ground squirrel after I shoot them with it. It's like parts just vanish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Rstraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Poseyville
    My son shot about 600rds with his this June while in North Dakota hunting prairie dogs. He had a blast and was popping them out to 200yds.

btmidwest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Shot nine groundhogs out back this spring. Eight with the 17 hmr. Six were one shot kills and two required 3 shots each which I'm sure was my fault. As I was waging war (they had reached the house and tried to dig into the crawl space) I switched to the 22 hornet but only found one more to dispatch. Did shoot one ground squirrel with the 17 which it completely gutted, was gross overkill....

Top Bottom