• Which Proposal Would You Choose?

• Total voters

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    There is much talk of the possibility of an antlerless deer season so I thought I would do a poll here to see what would be most preferred. It seems there are five basic ideas being talked about so I am going to stick with these five.

Proposal No. One – any legal weapon, 7 days in duration starting in September the week prior to the start of early archery. Move the youth hunt a week earlier.

Proposal No. Two – any legal weapon, 3 days in duration placed in between the youth hunt and the start of early archery.

Proposal No. Three – any legal weapon, 7 days in duration starting when firearms season traditionally opens with firearms season starting immediately after and no resting period between. Firearms would run its same 16 days just a week later.(Buck Hunting only 30days)

Proposal No. Four – any legal weapon, 7 days in duration at the end of December.

Proposal No. Five - any legal weapon, 7 days in duration after the late archery season.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    After late archery would be best. We don't need firearms hunters breaking up the peace and quite of the woods before early archery. #3 just wouldn't make sense and #4 would again roll over the stealth of the bow hunters.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    PLEEEEZZZZ lets not jack with the archery season. They already stuck the youth hunt in on us. let's not allow any more guns in the woods till after bow. please don't get me wrong on this I think the youth season is an awsome idea, I have 2 that take advantage of it and really enjoy my extra time in the woods (and the extra meat) with them. but I love the relativly unmolested nature of the bow season as it IS. thanks for the opp. to rant.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    There is much talk of the possibility of an antlerless deer season so I thought I would do a poll here to see what would be most preferred. It seems there are five basic ideas being talked about so I am going to stick with these five.

Proposal No. One – any legal weapon, 7 days in duration starting in September the week prior to the start of early archery. Move the youth hunt a week earlier.

Proposal No. Two – any legal weapon, 3 days in duration placed in between the youth hunt and the start of early archery.

Proposal No. Three – any legal weapon, 7 days in duration starting when firearms season traditionally opens with firearms season starting immediately after and no resting period between. Firearms would run its same 16 days just a week later.(Buck Hunting only 30days)

Proposal No. Four – any legal weapon, 7 days in duration at the end of December.

Proposal No. Five - any legal weapon, 7 days in duration after the late archery season.

I'd oppose any change of any kind.

Here's my proposal.
    Read the rules. Know the rules. Follow the rules and shut up.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Here's an idea that helps the deer herd as a whole, helps bow hunting as a sport and is proven to work. Make indiana a state where you EARN your buck by first shooting a doe. Wisconsin did it with great success and I think we should follow their lead.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Here's an idea that helps the deer herd as a whole, helps bow hunting as a sport and is proven to work. Make indiana a state where you EARN your buck by first shooting a doe. Wisconsin did it with great success and I think we should follow their lead.
    I would agree with the earn a buck program. It might help with increasing the chances of young bucks making it to maturity.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Wisconsin is the last place in the world I'd ever look to for something concering deer hunting to immulate.

I lived there. I hunted there. I moved back to Indiana.

Never let it be said I'm not one to see room for improvement. In that spirit, I'll amend my proposal.

"Read the rules. Know the rules. If you like the rules some where else better, move there.

Follow the rules and shut up."

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    No offense sir, but maybe you were in tthe wrong part of the state of Wisconsin. Wisc has risen to very near the top of trophy whitetail states in recent years and he earn a buck program WORKS. Think about it. The guys who every year kill an immature buck for the freezer now kill a doe first for the freezer then let the small buck walk as their freezer is full. It promotes bow huntong as a sport because after all why not get out early October to kill a slick just to ensure that come November you have a tag for ol grand dad. While I'm opposed to an extra season I do feel that more needs to be done to promote the harvest of does and protect young bucks. I feel the earn a buck season fills the void. The only other option that would never ever pass anyhow would be to run the antlerless season at the start of firearms season thereby shortening firearms season by a week. Like. I said however, that would never pass.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    No offense sir, but maybe you were in tthe wrong part of the state of Wisconsin. Wisc has risen to very near the top of trophy whitetail states in recent years and he earn a buck program WORKS. Think about it. The guys who every year kill an immature buck for the freezer now kill a doe first for the freezer then let the small buck walk as their freezer is full. It promotes bow huntong as a sport because after all why not get out early October to kill a slick just to ensure that come November you have a tag for ol grand dad. While I'm opposed to an extra season I do feel that more needs to be done to promote the harvest of does and protect young bucks. I feel the earn a buck season fills the void. The only other option that would never ever pass anyhow would be to run the antlerless season at the start of firearms season thereby shortening firearms season by a week. Like. I said however, that would never pass.

People who had to put up with it and really hunted hated it. WI has so many rules, zones, and bull crap you near need to be a lawyer and carry a brief case of papers just to hunt. Drinking and guns go together like butter on pop corn and then they make it a rule you have to wear a piece of paper on your BACK the size of a license plate with a number more like a convicted felon than a leagle hunter. It wasn't that long ago they were making every attempt to KILL EVERY SINGLE DEER in their designated CWD areas. Party hunting is the norm where one guy may shoot until he's filled every tag he and his party can scrounge up.

Yeah, if you like WI so good, go there. I like Indiana, I got a license in my pocket all day every day the size of a baseball card and I can hunt or fish anything legally in season.

I moved to what and where I like. YOU DO THE SAME.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    First off I'm not going anywhere. I have some of the best hunting in the state in my back yard bar none. Second, I didn't say everything Wisc did was good. I was suggesting ONE RULE. ONE. The bottom line is it would help the deer herd by getting rid of slicks. This would be second to the one buck per season rule that was enacted a few years back.

Also I didn't mention a thing about cwd, party hunting, license size, drinking or anything. Those are all different than the topic at hand.

I did not come here to start a fight but I'm not going to be attacked for expressing my opinion. And ask any serious trophy hunter about Wisc and they will tell you the same thing I'm saying.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    We will have a antlerless season soon....

I'm wonder what the reason for this season would be?

If it is to harvest more antlerless deer there must be a better answer
    DNR is on record for having said at a recent meeting...."In the past we have managed to increase the deer herd or at least keep it the same, we are now going to manage to reduce it." :popcorn:

On April 12 IDNR will formulate a plan to present for preliminary adoption on May 16 to the NRC. After that meeting there will be a public comment period for ALL to comment.......Get ready Folks......... :draw:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I did not come here to start a fight but I'm not going to be attacked for expressing my opinion. And ask any serious trophy hunter about Wisc and they will tell you the same thing I'm saying.

Acutally, you can get attacked here for your opinion, but not from me. It's a valid discussion.

I've hunted whitetails in Wisconsin since the age of 12, that make it 30 years this year. Sound like someone should take they're own advice
    "Read the rules. Know the rules. Follow the rules". If you need a lawyer for WI, maybe you need a different hobby.

Specific to WI, MN and MI, state I hunt every year, there are changes to the harvest plans as the herd programs are changing.

You want to build a herds, do this.
    You want to reduce does, do that.
    Trying to control CWD, try this.

It's not a perfect systrem, but I don't believe there is one. I haven't had a problem filling tags, in archery, black powder, earn-a-buck, does only, etc. Time in the woods and a little skill outweighs any rule system they may dream up next, I'll still hunt them.

As for the vote, it's not on your list, so I didn't vote, but enjoyed reading the responses.

I think IN could learn a little by looking at other states, to learn what has and has not worked, and for goodness sakes, ask the hunters too, they're footing the bill for much of this with tags and fees.

Greg, see you in the woods.

Top Bottom