• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Wasn't his takedown defense pretty much just punching the other guy in the head and face really, really hard?

Mostly. And I suspect you know this, but for those who didn't he was really a decent wrestler -- he just chose to use those skills to AVOID the takedown. That's one of the advantages to a strong wrestling base -- you pretty much get to DECIDE whether the fight takes place on the ground or on your feet. That's a really nice thing to be able to decide. One good reason to learn to wrestle and grapple is to help you AVOID the ground, or to get back up more quickly and more safely if it happens to go there.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Mostly. And I suspect you know this, but for those who didn't he was really a decent wrestler -- he just chose to use those skills to AVOID the takedown. That's one of the advantages to a strong wrestling base -- you pretty much get to DECIDE whether the fight takes place on the ground or on your feet. That's a really nice thing to be able to decide. One good reason to learn to wrestle and grapple is to help you AVOID the ground, or to get back up more quickly and more safely if it happens to go there.

Preposterous! Going to the ground in the street is a terrible idea. Why would I want to spend all my time working on something I shouldn't do?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In our second match-up, the heavyweight from Southmont (who was about foot taller than I was) foolishly attempted a double leg takedown on me at the whistle. I don't know what he was thinking, but since I pinned him in the first period before, he was taking a chance. I scored the fall in 37 seconds and I didn't even have to punch him in the head. In retrospect, Chuck Liddell has options ... he can either use wrestling skills to stay on his feet, that monster punch of his, or a combination.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Well, I went in anyway. Did some light timing sparring on the feet. Then a short bit of clinch work, but it was pretty brief before moving to some half guard pass techniques. I rolled four pretty decent rounds in the open mat. I didn't have any significant success, but did get arm barred by a 16yo kid, and my ribs smashed by a guy with a fair bit of weight on me.

What did I learn from that? Well, don't leave your arms dangle when trying to pass a wirey 16yo kid's guard. And definitely don't try to control a giant from side control with the headlock. Somehow I missed the underhook and I took the head instead. That's all he needed. I spent the rest of that round on my back (or with him on my back) trying not to get choked or arm barred.

wWas any of it applicable to the street? Only if a guy with 60 pounds on me is on top of me trying to choke me or smash my face. But I know that never happens in real life. :-)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Well, I think it was actually tied to a specific submission, and it wasn't an arm bar.

It's always the arm bar with him. It's getting a little annoying, actually. Sometimes he'll attempt the omoplata if I can avoid the arm bar. I can usully hang on through that which turns back in to an arm bat. I must just walk right in to it. I've got to start doing something different.

I'm not usually easy to choke, but that damn baseball bat choke... well I don't care for that. I've tapped to that a couple times.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That tears it. If you guys are using Oompaloompas on each other, I'm not even going to read about this anymore.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    That tears it. the you guys are using Oompaloompas on each other, I'm not even going to read about this anymore.

iCP does some disturbing stuff with the Oompaloompas. Its one of those things that produces terrible psychological scars but you just can't look away.

Top Bottom