• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Seeing how perception is everything, Ford wins because they didn't suck on the Government teat.
    Hyundai is the new Toyota and I believe they are beating them at their own game.
    You can hate GM all you want, I just happen to think most of that anger is aimed in the wrong direction. It is the Government who made this all happen.

I agree with most of your points here but the money troubles for the Big 3 have been brewing for decades. The pension and healthcare entitlements for UAW workers were unsustainable just like Social Security and Medicare. The companies agreed to pay and benefits when times were golden and there were no large outflows of cash to pay those benefits at the time. Along come the 70's where they produced a bunch of crap and lost large amounts of market share. More and more people are retiring while the volume of sales goes down.

When your legacy costs are $2000 per vehicle, your business can't be long for the world. Not saying all Big 3 workers here, but the majority has fought the companies for decades to keep from losing pay and benefits. Many of these workers can't see the forest for the trees. I took a $1 an hour pay cut a year ago. I could have cried and fought it but what good would it do to have that extra dollar if I were out of work in short order vs still working now? Many of these workers refused benefit cuts because they knew Uncle Sugar would step in and bail them out. It's amazing how reckless people will act in making decisions if they know that they will be shielded from the consequences.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I agree with most of your points here but the money troubles for the Big 3 have been brewing for decades. The pension and healthcare entitlements for UAW workers were unsustainable just like Social Security and Medicare. The companies agreed to pay and benefits when times were golden and there were no large outflows of cash to pay those benefits at the time. Along come the 70's where they produced a bunch of crap and lost large amounts of market share. More and more people are retiring while the volume of sales goes down.

When your legacy costs are $2000 per vehicle, your business can't be long for the world. Not saying all Big 3 workers here, but the majority has fought the companies for decades to keep from losing pay and benefits. Many of these workers can't see the forest for the trees. I took a $1 an hour pay cut a year ago. I could have cried and fought it but what good would it do to have that extra dollar if I were out of work in short order vs still working now? Many of these workers refused benefit cuts because they knew Uncle Sugar would step in and bail them out. It's amazing how reckless people will act in making decisions if they know that they will be shielded from the consequences.

One thing I would like to point out. Technology and efficiency has caused our reduction in employment numbers. We still produce the number of vehicles we once did. We have lost market share, but the market increased significantly. More people were buying 2nd and 3rd vehicles. Just like the inflated housing market, where people who couldn't afford houses were buying them and increasing demand, we saw an increase in demand as well.
    I took way more than a dollar an hour paycut. We lost more than that without even having a new contract.
    I don't understand why people think that GM workers made it through this unscathed?
    I haven't had a raise in more than 5 years. I have lost my performance bonus. I have lost education benefits on top of many other benefits, too many to list. We have had vacation time cut and lost a couple of holidays.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Something else I would like to point out. The media who attacked US auto manufacturers in the past, are the same, "Hate America" crowd we still have. Tearing down American businesses, trying to reach the same goal, make America weak.
    Those who wanted real hard to cheer for another Team, because America is so arrogant in their minds. Destroying American manufacturing does indeed weaken us as a country.
    While I believe in free trade, it has to be equal trade. Not one set of rules for us and a much easier set of rules for those we trade with.
    Let the markets decide, but make sure we don't use taxpayer money to give our foreign competitors an unfair advantage.
    We seem to have this guilt about being successful. Instead of leading the way and setting the example, we seem to be tearing ourselves down to help bring others up. While a seeming noble act, it is weakening us as a Nation.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I suspect there will be ever more Toyota owners "experiencing" problems.

Easy money for them, they hope.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If these cars are truly as dangerous as they want us to believe, why aren't the owners parking them until a real fix is found? Would you continue to shoot a gun after a recall has been issued as a result of deaths?

Top Bottom