• ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A relative of Isaac Newton?
    No just a clever way to come up with a character name. One thing I've always admired about professional writers is their ability to come up with names that don't sound so common like Joe Smith or Sam Jones. That is one reason all the politacal characters have so far only been referred to as "Mr Speaker" and such. While they are puplic figures and I could probably use real names I just haven't decided if that's the route I'll go. I used the real names of the Fox Correspondents to keep the real feel of the story.
    But I do plan to use one real past President to explain something later in the story since I greatly admire him, even tho there was a few things he did that really agrivated me. But all in all In my opinion he was the best we've had compared to the others we've had during my lifetime (since 1959). So here's another rep contest first person to guess this past presidents name will get a rep, Icarry2 can't participate since he's won in the last 30 days.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The beam of light emanating from the vehicle kept sweeping until it found our group. The car slowed to a crawl and we all watched it intently. The car came to a complete stop. I still had the Glock in my hand, and before I could say anything Gary had already grabbed his shotgun that he had left leaning up against the north wall. “By God I’ve had just about enough of this crap for one night” Gary said as he pumped the action and started for the street. I followed closely, with a gun that I had no idea how many rounds were left in it. “Get the frak outta the car you mutherfraker ”Gary shouted as he closed the distance and brought the gun to bear. “NOW I SAID!” I could swear I saw steam coming out of his ears like a cartoon character, but it was just the humidity and soot that still hung in the air. I heard the person in car start yelling “HOLD IT MAN, HOLD IT, I’M JUST A NEIGHBOR COME OVER TO SEE IF YOU ALL NEEDED HELP. DON’T SHOOT ME!” “Get out of the car and keep your hands were I can see them.” Gary said in a forceful tone as I finally caught up with him. “Ok,ok, ok, I’m get’n out just point that thing somewhere else will you.”

The guy was shaking like he had the chills from the flu. “Mu…Mu…Mu…my name is Marcus,Marcus Donavan. I live two streets over right on the corner of 42nd street. I heard all the shoot’n so I grabbed my first aid kit went search’n to see if anybody was hurt” Said the tall thin and wiry black male. He looked to be to be in his late 20’s or early thirties. “See look, there it is on the front seat.” Both Gary and I were a little calmer now, and we looked in the car and saw a fairly good sized desert camo colored back pack sitting on the front seat. “I just got back from the sandbox a couple of months ago; I’m a medic in the Guard.” He said as he reached slowly for his wallet and produced a military ID. Gary and I looked it over and decided it was legit. “Sorry man but we just had a really intense confrontation with some low life loser looters” Gary said apologetically. “Yeah they broke into my garage and tried to steal some stuff” I interjected quickly. Legit or not I still did not want to reveal too much information, and wasn’t sure what Gary would say next. “Anybody hurt?” he asked. “Naw but they might need to change their shorts” I said nudging Gary to go along with the deception. “Yeah we made a lot of noise but we didn’t hit nobody” Gary continued the lie.

“You should have known better than to sneak up on people like that being from the Military” I said. “I should have, but this is home and not Iraq. And when the shots woke me up and I went to grab my kit and couldn’t find my sidearm I then remembered where I was and just took off to help”. “Well we appreciate you coming by but we’re all ok, and we’re sorry to have scared you like that, but it’s been a rough day” I said. “It’s ok man I should have done things different, and we’re all still alive so no harm. It hasn’t been a fun day over on my street either. I probably need to get back to my house right now before some body tries to rob me!” “Good idea Mr. Donavan” I said. “Call me Mac, everybody calls me Mac.” “OK Mac good luck, and stay safe” I told him.

He got back in his car and drove off. We watched his tail lights to make sure he turned the correct direction towards where he said he’d come from. When he turned the corner and his taillights disappeared to the east we were both satisfied he was telling us the truth. As we turned back towards my garage and started to walk back. I looked at Gary and said “I knew this was going to be rough, but gee whiz this is crazy man. And I don’t know about you but I need a drink!” “Isn’t it a little early” Gary laughed. “Early... late…I don’t care its five o’clock somewhere." ” We both just had a good laugh for the first time in about 24hrs. My wife just looked at us funny as we went in the side door of our house. I opened one of the kitchen cabinets that held some glasses, walked over to the kitchen table and put them down. I searched with my flashlight for the booze we got from the drug store courtesy of the Pharmacist. And found a bottle of Makers Mark. I cracked the seal, opened the bottle and filled both glasses about half full. I handed one to Gary, and raised the other one to his and clanked them togetherand said “To whatever comes”. He just nodded and we both knocked back a healthy dose and slumped down in the kitchen chairs relieved that we were all still alive. I began to shake a little again from adrenalin withdrawal. Only one cure for that I thought as I took another big gulp and enjoyed the flavor all the way down!

Last edited:

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    No just a clever way to come up with a character name. One thing I've always admired about professional writers is their ability to come up with names that don't sound so common like Joe Smith or Sam Jones. That is one reason all the politacal characters have so far only been referred to as "Mr Speaker" and such. While they are puplic figures and I could probably use real names I just haven't decided if that's the route I'll go. I used the real names of the Fox Correspondents to keep the real feel of the story.
    But I do plan to use one real past President to explain something later in the story since I greatly admire him, even tho there was a few things he did that really agrivated me. But all in all In my opinion he was the best we've had compared to the others we've had during my lifetime (since 1959). So here's another rep contest first person to guess this past presidents name will get a rep, Icarry2 can't participate since he's won in the last 30 days.

I should have put that in purple; my poor attempt at humor. I was being a smart a** about Isaac being spelled Issac. Apologies.

I've been following this thread daily, hoping for updates, and have been enjoying the plot. Thanks for a good story line.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    After a few moments of enjoying our small respite John and my wife came in to join us. "What was that all about" they both asked simultaneously. "Some guy from two streets over he said the shots woke him up and came to see If he could help" Gary replied. "He told us he was a Medic just back from Iraq" I added. "Do you guys believe him?" inquired John. "Well" I continued, "he had a backpack in desert camo and a Military ID that looked legit, but the pack did not look military issue to me. When my brother was in the Guard he just had his uniform and maybe his helmet home no equipment, so I have my doubts." "Well he could just be prepared for a situation like this and keep a med kit ready at all times like we had during our BMX days" my wife added. I took another sip of whiskey, and my shakes were finally starting to go away. "Yeah but after the crap that went down today, and just now, we gotta be careful who we trust." Gary said. "I could not agree more" John added. I was pleased that John and Gary were rapidly acquiring a survival mentality I hoped the rest of our group would begin to take that attitude. "I think we should really have a comprehensive security meeting today after we all gather for the update news conference from Washington" I said. The last of the Makers Mark in my glass found its way to my stomach as I stood up. "I’m going to secure my garage and get some rest" I said. "I didn’t get much sleep the night this happened, and haven’t had much tonight and I’m getting punchy. I just can’t think any more." "I’m going to stay up and keep watch" Gary said. "I don’t think we’ll be bothered any more, but we have to start a watch, and it might as well start now. But first I need to go home and get some more shells for the shotgun. The damn thing was empty when we went out there to check that guy out. When I racked it I saw the empty fly out, but I was so mad I forgot I only shoved five in when I came out to help you." "You and me both" I chuckled. "While I’ve still got a few in the 45, but it was holstered and I had this Glock in my hand and I have no idea how much ammo is in it." I picked up the pistol from the table, and keeping it pointed in a safe direction I ejected the mag. I was pleased to see it was full minus the one I had popped out when I had checked it out and the one that was still in the pipe. I looked at Gary and said "We were lucky my friend." "We sure were, but we have to get better at things like this if we’re going to get through this." I agreed and we all walked out of the house Gary went home to reload and start his watch. John went home to try to get some sleep. My Wife and I quickly nailed a couple of pieces of scrap plywood to the window the looters had broken. We closed and locked the overhead door manually then went back into the house and tried to get some sleep.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Chapter 4

Dawn had broken over Washington hours ago, Truman Grant, the speaker of the house, and now acting president was poring over all the reports, satellite images and other Intel that had been brought to him over the last 24hrs. He was trying to put together a concise update for the American people at the 11 o’clock news conference. He was not a typical politician. He came from a blue collar background. His mother had been a factory worker for most of her life, and his father had been a Railroad Engineer. Both were retired and had moved to Florida, and lived in a modest retirement community on the gulf coast. He had worked his way through college with modest help from his parents. He had worked in the fast food industry, and as a mechanics helper, and various construction jobs. He was no Ivy Leaguer first attending a local community college to become a tool and die maker and work at the factory where his mother was employed. But when the factory closed he dropped out, and became a deputy sheriff in the county of his home town in Tennessee. This sparked his interest in the law, and he returned to school at a state college and eventually earned his law degree. He never actually practiced law because shortly after he passed the Bar exam the Sherriff of his home town was shot and killed while serving a warrant. His honesty and integrity as a Deputy got him appointed interim Sheriff until a special election could be held to fill the vacancy. Many of his friends both on and off the department urged him to run for the office, and he was elected in a landslide against an unpopular local businessman who had a shady background and was rumored to have connections to the Dixie Mafia. But since his dealings never took place in that county, local law enforcement were never able to connect him to anything illegal. But that also motivated Truman to get elected to the state legislator, and eventually to the U.S. Congress to enact laws to help police fight people like him. That tenacity and drive made him one of the youngest House Speakers ever, and earned him the nickname "General Hell" due to him having the last name of a famous general, and his first name was that of "Give’em hell Harry Truman", His mother’s favorite President. It was also ironic that he ran and was elected as a Republican since most of his family was dyed in the wool Democrats.

A knock on the door of the cabinet room broke Truman’s concentration. A young white house staffer entered and announced "Mister Speaker, Senator Lincoln is here to see you." Oh great Truman thought to himself this is all I need right now. George Washington Lincoln was a 70 year old, six term Liberal New York Democrat, and president pro tem of the senate as well as senate majority leader. He was exactly the opposite of Truman. Old money Ivy League trust fund baby that had never held a real job in his life, spoiled and coddled and groomed since birth. His family had everything but real political power, and had planned and schemed to make George president someday. But George was the typical rich bratty kid at Cornell. He was intelligent but lazy, and he partied and bought and dealt his way through college. He had run for president three times and had been defeated each time during the primary. Because his family’s money never could erase his checkered college past, where there were rumors of multiple payoffs to fathers of pregnant co-eds. Some battery charges from a prostitute that disappeared almost as mysteriously as she did, and the death of a fraternity pledge during hazing, that was ruled a suicide. Senator Lincoln strode into the room, and over to the conference table like he was the President. And without thought or respect began shuffling through the information in front of Speaker Grant. Then in a condescending tone he said "Well now my boy looks like we’ve got a hell of a mess on our hands, don’t we?" Truman’s blood began to boil because he knew that Sen. Lincoln would somehow take advantage of even this crisis for his own political gain!

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :ingo:Just wanted to say a word of thanks to all of you that read my story. I had no Idea it would have such a wide apeal. And now I'm in it for the long haul. Because even though I've returned to college to get retrained fo a new carrer. I have found that writing this is as much of a relaxing thing to do and a bit of and escape ass well. As I said before I might have to slow down a bit to keep up with home work but I'll keep going untill I finnish it or run out of Ideas or paint myself in a corner. And BTW when I mean long haul I mean this thing could go on for months...

Top Bottom