• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    I'm 21, IU student, just purchased my first gun and have been carrying it everywhere I can in this wonderful town of Bloomington/off campus.

In my house down here, my roommates and I have 3 guns between us and that number will only get higher. I'm actually curious to how many students own or have access to a gun in this town....

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    That's only disturbing because I know you now.

You were probably more mature back then. :):

Depends on who you ask.:dunno: I held that rifle real tight many a night she was my baby.:D prettiest thing i have ever seen...well then I meet you.;)

Huh...

Sounds like a stove top discussion here... :D

I think your cute too. :gaychase:

I'm not up on all that Urban Dictionary slang but will just take it that you'd really like to join us for some camping sometime. ;)

:gaychase:

I can hear the dueling banjos now, you like dueling right jeremy?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Gunman at the University of Texas

Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2010

Coincidentally, the shooter picks the day that Gun-Rights advocate John Lott was scheduled to speak on campus carry. He is the author of "More Guns, Less Crime."

Nobody except the shooter was hurt. He wore a suit and carried an "AK-47". Fired around aimlessly then shot himself.

The school canceled the John Lott speech and the campus carry movement is apparently set back.

This is the same campus that Charles Whitman shot up from the tower in 1966.

Shots Fired at University of Texas at Austin Campus; Gunman Dead

University of Texas Austin Shooting Cancels Gun Rights Advocate John Lott's Planned Talk

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2010

Coincidentally, the shooter picks the day that Gun-Rights advocate John Lott was scheduled to speak on campus carry. He is the author of "More Guns, Less Crime."

Nobody except the shooter was hurt. He wore a suit and carried an "AK-47". Fired around aimlessly then shot himself.

The school canceled the John Lott speech and the campus carry movement is apparently set back.

This is the same campus that Charles Whitman shot up from the tower in 1966.

Shots Fired at University of Texas at Austin Campus; Gunman Dead

University of Texas Austin Shooting Cancels Gun Rights Advocate John Lott's Planned Talk
    Sounds like some ammunition to fuel Lotts speech. More guns less crime was a good read

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I truly believe that when it comes to high school and college men/women they should be required to take a pistol defense course before they would be "turned loose" on campus.

Since the college students are attending college to learn and take classes anyway, I don't see a problem with college students having to take a class before they can carry on campus.

If it was a school initiative to allow LTCH holders to carry on campus after taking an optional class, then sure, that would be a step forward for the SCCC movement. People could feel safer entering college campuses with their pistol.

However if you are talking about a legal change, requiring mandatory training, then I am 1000% against that idea. No more gun control.

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The same could be said for driving, some people may not be ready to drive at sixteen. Should we raise the age to 21?

I know you are only trying to make a point here, but they are actually looking into raising the age of that too.

Congress to consider sweeping licensing changes for teen drivers

What really gets me is IUPUI's excuse (I am sure other universities are the same way) for not allowing a LTCH holder to carry is that the response time for the campus police is so quick that they could have someone who is trained how to use a firearm within minutes. First, I bet a majority of LTCH holders spend more time at the range then most campus police. It would only take 1 person to stop the gunmen. Second, a true gunman would not spend a lot of time in one classroom, therefore they would be on the move. So how are the police going to know exactly where the gunman is and the police would not come rushing in. So response time essentially goes up. IU really needs to re-evaluate this policy so students can carry without the fear of being expelled.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yep. They handed me one at 17.

A handgun is much less scary, right?

Since you had been anointed by the almighty government to carry, you were automagically transformed, transfigured even, into a perfectfully flawless responsible human being, just like police. Everybody knows that they can do no wrong.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...My own sister believes that civilians can own fully automatic weapons and it is as common here in Indiana as corn....

While she's correct that civilians can own fully automatic firearms (I've shot several that were privately owned, just not by me :spend:) she would be incorrect as to how common it is for this to happen. There is also the matter of cost and tax.

you are correct.

and he was just making an example.

Correct. My sentence OneBadV8 quoted was "Are you saying that because you weren't ready, LTCHs should not be issued prior to age 21?", addressed to malern28us. Thanks for catching that. :)

First off, maybe you werent ready but others might be, and it only takes that one person that is ready for the responsibility to save lives.

Second, not all college students are 20 years old

Yeah, but only those who are ready for the responsibility's lives are worth saving. Waitasecond, I'm starting to agree with that idea. ;) :D

I know you are only trying to make a point here, but they are actually looking into raising the age of that too.

Congress to consider sweeping licensing changes for teen drivers

What really gets me is IUPUI's excuse (I am sure other universities are the same way) for not allowing a LTCH holder to carry is that the response time for the campus police is so quick that they could have someone who is trained how to use a firearm within minutes. First, I bet a majority of LTCH holders spend more time at the range then most campus police. It would only take 1 person to stop the gunmen. Second, a true gunman would not spend a lot of time in one classroom, therefore they would be on the move. So how are the police going to know exactly where the gunman is and the police would not come rushing in. So response time essentially goes up. IU really needs to re-evaluate this policy so students can carry without the fear of being expelled.

and staff can carry without fear of being fired. :dunno:

He was finishing the sentence you ended your post with:
    hookfish said:
    ...IU really needs to re-evaluate this policy so students can carry without the fear of being expelled.

rimfire_crazed said:
    and staff can carry without fear of being fired. :dunno:

Good discussion here, guys, just some small misunderstandings that are being quickly and easily corrected. Keep it going! :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    Bill

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    They shouldn't have to have a license to carry. This incident and others that have been worse is reason enough to make it mandatory to carry.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    take a class so you can be allowed to carry on campus or a theater class to read ancient greek plays, i'm pretty sure most student would pick the carry class in a heartbeat.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I truly believe that when it comes to high school and college men/women they should be required to take a pistol defense course before they would be "turned loose" on campus. For every 1000 people that would be ok with the responsibilty of carrying, there is that one moron that would be showing off and shoot themselves. Then we would spend the next 10 years fighting to show that it was just one fool.
    I know for a fact that I was not ready for the responsibilty that comes with it until I was 20. Opinions vary though.

For those of you that responded to my post, I apologize. I am slow.

It was meant more as let them carry on campus to defend themselves BUT educate them as well. Teach them what they will have to deal with when given this HUGE responsibility. A little background on the laws regarding carry in their state.
    What to know if you ever actually have to shoot someone.
    Basics on pistol use, targeting, etc.
    Maybe even requiring a Basic Pistol class before school starts if you want to carry on campus.
    I dont remember asking any of you if you were 'ready' when you went to college.
    I just dont want one person ruining it for every one on a college campus.

Top Bottom