• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I live in a little 2-cop town near Greensburg. The only people I've seen open carry here are the 2 LEO's when off-duty... ragged jeans and dirty t's, with Blackhawk Serpa's and a badge next to it.

Surely "WE" can do better than that.

Are talking about "Westport"? Todd the Marshall is very pro-gun that's for sure!

mmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you for everyone's feedback, I am new to this site and am very..VERY excited to see that its here. I have learned so much just from this thread alone and from the looks of things I have a lot more reading to enjoy. I support the right to own and carry a firearm but I want to make sure and educate myself on the right mentality to do so.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Outside of the CC/OC argument, I believe the OP has an excellent point. I prefer to CC 99% of the time. Thats not to say someone who wants to OC is wrong, its their prerogative. The problem I have is when I see someone who chooses to OC, and dresses and acts like someone who belongs on Jerry Springer.

If you do make the decision to OC, you are putting yourself in the public eye as a gun rights advocate. People are much less likely to look down at a well dressed individual as they are someone who looks like a refugee from the trailer park, or an extra from a war movie. Friendly, or at least polite attitude will go a long way in making people feel at ease as well.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    yep, self respect goes a long way toward gaining the respect of others. My Dad taught me that a long time ago. I think all of our parents or mentors have tried to instill that fact in us at one time or another. As our interests and beliefs are attacked on all fronts and we attempt to wage a public relations campaign, psychological impressions of the average voting/voicing joe & janes with which we interact regularly are important.
    One of the points I emphasize when I open carry is I believe every positive impression I make is remembered. If I were to concealed carry I have made no contribution, positive nor negative to our cause.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I agree that your attire will effect peoples attitudes about your OCing. I admit I have yet to do it, full OC that is. I CC all the time. Depending on the weather I will wear a holstered pistol covered by an opened button shirt or jersey.

I was carrying my daughter once while it was windy and it blew my shirt back making me OC... does that count?

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    When I OC my 1911 I am usually dressed in a nice shirt and tie. I would have to admit that I look a lot like a police detective. No one in Indy never gave me a second look except for a guy that said he didn't know they made holsters like mine (pancake). I think the way a person presents himself and dresses is half the battle. If I had been wearing a Harley shirt with a pony tail and had a beer gut someone may have said something... then again maybe not. But there's a lot of wolves in suits and sheepdogs in Harleys and beards.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Whenever I OC, I try to look nice. Minimum of nice jeans and a nice t-shirt, tucked in. Or if I just got home from work and we're heading out for dinner or something, I'll be in slacks, dress shoes, and a polo shirt, also tucked in. I've never had anybody approach me about it in a hostile manner, although I have had people ask me before what I was carrying, or why I carried it.

If you look respectable, and act respectable....everybody pretty much assumes that you're a respectable human being.

Freedom_Bound

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    South Bend
    If a person has a positive demeanor and respectable appearance, OC is not an issue. Weapon retention becomes an issue, however, and one must train for that. Situational awareness should not be different whether one is CC or OC.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    I am currently awaiting my lifetime LTCH, but am happy to see that other people are OCing in Fort Wayne. I wanted to get comfortable with my new handgun before carrying it anywhere, but will probably start CC and eventually OC on occasion. I have yet to see anyone in Fort Wayne OC and have lived here all my life (30 years).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom