GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Silence on the wrong guy accused simply for carrying a long gun. You'd think they'd address that, and how he was law abiding, and would've potentially had the ability to protect himself. However since he was supporting an unpopular movement, I'd expect they'll remain silent as to not upset their core.

Or maybe they're issuing a generic, template statement, the types they do when asked for a statement after such events, rather than an analysis and commentary of the evening's events.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Personally, I think they will want to avoid any statement that might be seen in any way critical of law enforcement. I think there is too much polarization at this point. You are seen by many as either with the police or against them.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Multiple officers shot at ?Black Lives Matter? protest in Dallas | WPMT FOX43
    Police sources tell KDFW one suspect is down while a second possible suspect is in a downtown Dallas garage and wearing a bulletproof vest and tactical gear. Bystanders have been told to shelter in place, according to KTVT.

“The shots were coming from the roof,” one protester told the station. Witnesses reported hearing more than a dozen gunshots that scattered the crowd. That protester said that officers and bystanders alike were in the line of fire.
    Police officers were searching for a man with a rifle, according to several reports.

See this is where stuff gets confusing. I read earlier reports of multiple shooters, triangulation of shots etc. Now it's one guy who knows how to move and shoot, move and shoot.

Feels like Sandy Hook all over again. Multiple suspects at the beginning, one lone wolf with an AR15 at the end...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Silence on the wrong guy accused simply for carrying a long gun. You'd think they'd address that, and how he was law abiding, and would've potentially had the ability to protect himself. However since he was supporting an unpopular movement, I'd expect they'll remain silent as to not upset their core.

I don't have a problem with what I saw regarding the guy with the long gun. They were taking fire from someone with an autoloading rifle, they knew this guy was there and had an autoloading rifle and they wanted to talk to him to see if he was involved. I saw a video of the guy surrendering his rifle to an officer while the thing was going on and it looked pretty reasonable and polite to me. The officer asked the guy to turn over his rifle and the guy's buddies told him to go along with it and the officer took the guy's rifle and gave him his business card, telling him to come pick the rifle up at the station.

I don't remember seeing the police accuse the guy of anything, but I think it was reasonable for them to put his picture up and ask for him to come in or for info about him. It was a pretty ****ed up situation, do you think what they did was out of line? If I was in that guy's shoes, I think I would understand why they wanted to talk to me and why the officer on the scene wanted to temporarily take my rifle (not like it was going to do him any good anyway as he did not have any ammo for it, so all it could do for him was get him shot by a justifiably jumpy cop).

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

I don't have a problem with what I saw regarding the guy with the long gun. They were taking fire from someone with an autoloading rifle, they knew this guy was there and had an autoloading rifle and they wanted to talk to him to see if he was involved. I saw a video of the guy surrendering his rifle to an officer while the thing was going on and it looked pretty reasonable and polite to me. The officer asked the guy to turn over his rifle and the guy's buddies told him to go along with it and the officer took the guy's rifle and gave him his business card, telling him to come pick the rifle up at the station.

I don't remember seeing the police accuse the guy of anything, but I think it was reasonable for them to put his picture up and ask for him to come in or for info about him. It was a pretty ****ed up situation, do you think what they did was out of line? If I was in that guy's shoes, I think I would understand why they wanted to talk to me and why the officer on the scene wanted to temporarily take my rifle (not like it was going to do him any good anyway as he did not have any ammo for it, so all it could do for him was get him shot by a justifiably jumpy cop).

I saw the guy and his brother on CNN last night. They were talking about it being his right under TX law. Turns out his brother was an organizer of the protest. He told his brother to give up the rifle. He said they then started helping direct people away.
    It's an interesting interview if you can find it on their website.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I saw the guy and his brother on CNN last night. They were talking about it being his right under TX law. Turns out his brother was an organizer of the protest. He told his brother to give up the rifle. He said they then started helping direct people away.
    It's an interesting interview if you can find it on their website.

I heard the the guy with the rifle has been getting death threats too. Even though exonerated, some will still think he had some culpability in the ambush.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Scanner audio of the cops pulling over the victim doesn't look very good for the officer. Audio and video at the link.

Police Dispatch Audio From Castile Shooting Doesn't Make Cops Look Good... [AUDIO] - Liberty Viral

Up until this point, my opinion was very much like the NRA's, finding this shooting deeply troubling and calling for a full and thorough investigation... withholding any judgement until all the facts are in.

THIS, however, moves the needle significantly for me. It makes it sound very much like just about any black man would have been approached by this officer as "looks like our robbery suspect." Not just normal, prudent caution, but predisposed, and for racial reasons. (assuming there wasn't an editing out of matching car descriptions, partial plates, etc with robbery suspect)

Reserving judgement until full audio, all evidence, official statements, etc comes out, but this is looking like a bad shoot to me, a very bad shoot.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Personally, I think they will want to avoid any statement that might be seen in any way critical of law enforcement. I think there is too much polarization at this point. You are seen by many as either with the police or against them.

I agree there is polarization. At some point, somebody needs to put on big boys pants and get everyone to the table. NRA could make waves with a statement saying, "The 2A is for everyone, especially when it isn't popular". :twocents:

What is sad is, if that guy is a member or not, he should be sene as part of the core -- a dude OC'ing an AR!!!

I heard the the guy with the rifle has been getting death threats too. Even though exonerated, some will still think he had some culpability in the ambush.

That sucks.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    "Minnesota governor: Unlikely driver would be shot if white"

They've also turned it over to their state investigative agency and the DoJ will be involved, no doubt. Fortunately, the local PD will be pushed aside, for their own good and the good of the investigation.

Minnesota governor: Unlikely driver would be shot if white - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Wasn't the cop Asian? What does being white have to do with it? Are Asian cops also racist as a default now?

Also, I find the demeanor of the girlfriend to be totally bizarre. If I had a loved one taking his/her last breaths right beside me, after being shot in the chest, the last thing I'm going to be doing is live streaming to Facebook with my iPhone while calmly providing a narrative of the incident. She honestly seems less upset than I am when the morons at the local McDonald's screw up my order (again) in the drive-thru.

Why is no one burning down the Egg Roll #1?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wasn't the cop Asian? What does being white have to do with it? Are Asian cops also racist as a default now?

Also, I find the demeanor of the girlfriend to be totally bizarre. If I had a loved one taking his/her last breaths right beside me, after being shot in the chest, the last thing I'm going to be doing is live streaming to Facebook with my iPhone while calmly providing a narrative of the incident. She honestly seems less upset than I am when the morons at the local McDonald's screw up my order (again) in the drive-thru.

Why is no one burning down the Egg Roll #1?

People respond to things in different ways. Heck, in Orlando, people who were about to be killed were posting on Facebook. And it's not about "white" officers killing black people, it's about the perception that every black male is potentially a threat. It can just as equally apply to black, Asian, or Hispanic officers as it does to white ones.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "It is more dangerous to be black on America. It's both more dangerous because of the crime, which is the Chicago story," "But it is more dangerous in that [you are] substantially more likely to be in a situation where police don't respect you and where you could easily get killed. And I think sometimes, for whites, it's difficult to appreciate how real that is. It's an everyday danger."

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    And it's not about "white" officers killing black people, it's about the perception that every black male is potentially a threat. It can just as equally apply to black, Asian, or Hispanic officers as it does to white ones.

Every person a police officer comes into contact with is potentially a threat. But statistics don't lie. Especially when those statistics are reinforced by the same observations on the job, over and over. Some areas of Indianapolis are more dangerous than others, and it's not because of the air quality or soil composition. It's ugly, but it's true. And the perception is not going to go away unless the reality changes.

Top Bottom