Another person with no business having a gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Who said that?

People can kill in any number of ways- true, but let's be realistic- do we carry guns because they are quick to deploy and effective in stopping attacks as opposed to other means? Of course we do. Don't these same characteristics make guns efficient, quick and effective as killing machines? Of course they do.

The title to this thread is: "Another person with no business having a gun." I agree with that. Appropriate steps to keep guns from violent felons and the mentally ill have been upheld and, in my opinion, should be. Would any of those things prevented this? No way to tell.

However, the "no restrictions, no time, no where, everyone can have guns...." dream world. Not going to happen, should not happen.

Meanwhile, I read about the VA removing gun rights from vets...with no judicial process. Which also is a tragedy.

How many times are drunk drivers allowed to have access to cars?

BTW....if the car is black, is it an assault vehicle? ;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am, by no means, defending the VA- there should certainly be a distinction drawn between competency to handle money and mental instability that could be dangerous.

- and yes- All black vehicles are assault vehicles, but the most dangerous ones are high capacity like Suburbans and vans.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    So is it me or have these last few incidents involved people with "mental" issues as a common denominator? I'm going to guess that the families could not get coverage for crazy ole grandma. I'm sure the title of "Grandmother with gun kills" will be splashed all over and the bat **** crazy part won't even be a footnote.

It is terrible and I will pray for the family.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    So gun rights are the problem here? No. It looks like some parents made an EXTREMELY poor decision, and put their kids into the hands of a CRAZY relative. If she didn't have a gun handy, she could have very well driven into a LAKE with them.

I don't recall folks calling for a LAKE ban when it happened.

Shhh. Don't give the fools in DC any more great ideas. Can you picture Obama standing in front of a lake with children behind him?:n00b:

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I have said before there is a lot of people out there right now getting guns and not knowing how to even load the thing. I know of people shooting themselves just because they didn't know about the safety on it. So if you don't know anything about it at least go on line and see how to use before you get hurt or someone else does. 1st rule treat a weapon as if it loaded.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    This is horrible. Thoughts and prayers to the family. This is easily the kind of tragedy that can tear apart a person/marriage/family.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    What part of: "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

Who said that?

People can kill in any number of ways- true, but let's be realistic- do we carry guns because they are quick to deploy and effective in stopping attacks as opposed to other means? Of course we do. Don't these same characteristics make guns efficient, quick and effective as killing machines? Of course they do.

The title to this thread is: "Another person with no business having a gun." I agree with that. Appropriate steps to keep guns from violent felons and the mentally ill have been upheld and, in my opinion, should be. Would any of those things prevented this? No way to tell.

However, the "no restrictions, no time, no where, everyone can have guns...." dream world. Not going to happen, should not happen.

My personal position- no new laws, enforce the ones we have effectively.
    It peeked out in a few threads before. Now your inner Helmke comes out. The job of ridiculing the "shall not be infringed" crowd has already been taken by the media, academia, many pundits and politicians. They don't need your help, but I'm sure they appreciate it.

Yet, why stop there (the laws we already have)?. Clearly, they don't work - or did not work - to prevent some mentally ill grandma in CT from committing a horrible crime. No, (embracing the inner Helmke) clearly this shows the need for everyone in the entire country to undergo or pass a psych-eval as a prerequisite to buying, owning, or carrying a gun. This will of course have to be administered by bureaucrats or "professionals" designated by the State to determine who is or is not "worthy" or "proper" to do so. Privacy of everyones' medical records will have to be eliminated. Since this country has already become a nation of snoops and busybodies, more and more people can become ensnared in the net by being "fingered" or otherwise (informally) accused of "having no business with" a gun. Anyone raising an objection or misgiving to such "policies" can be ridiculed, discredited, accused of advocating or posing a "threat to public safety", and in turn, may face (trumped up) charges and loss of any [STRIKE]rights[/STRIKE] privileges they had.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    As with most of these, this incident has nothing to do with a firearm. This crazy fool would have accomplished her ghoulish work by whatever means necessary. :(

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    You have to look at the source of the article too. NBC has been shown time and time again that they will present the news as the oval office deems fit. IMO, the idea of "fair and impartial news" is gone. They've been caught red handed countless time editing the facts to push the liberal message. I noticed that the article said that the woman had a gun, didn't say what kind.....because they knew it was something OTHER than an AR style weapon. I'm willing to bet that had this woman owned an AR, it would have been plastered all over the headline as "woman with AR 15 kills two children and self" giving the idea that it was the AR that killed them. There's more to this story than they (NBC) is willing to print.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    hindsight 20/20 dude. You are reading WAY too much into one sentence. Do you honestly think if the mom had the slightest idea this would happen that she would allow it?????

I think it's bush league and in poor form to blame someone who lost her 2 children and mom on the same day. just my opinion...

I truly hope the mother was aware but after the last deal where mom took the nut bag son to the range and left her guns accessible I have my doubts. People (not all but enough) have no sense these days.
    My heart is heavy for her in her lose but if she knew mom was whack all I can say is "WTF"
    With out knowing the entire situation all we can do is watch and wait.

Top Bottom